Thread: Nvidia GTX285 vs GTX680 I don't find any difference in performance

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Nvidia GTX285 vs GTX680 I don't find any difference in performance 
    I recently upgrade my video card from Nvidia GTX285 to GTX 680. I did some quick test on
    REDcine
    Resolve
    Premiere
    and
    After Effects

HAckingtosh and Windows 7

I tried Editing and playing back 4K on the timelines and to my eyes performance is the same, do I'm missing something?

the only real difference I notice was with After Effect using 3D Raytrace with this benchmark file http://www.teddygage.com/AEBENCHCS6/ was about 3x times faster on the 680. Apart of that I don't find rendering footage or playing back any improvement at all.

anybody have similar experiences ?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey Blanco View Post
    I recently upgrade my video card from Nvidia GTX285 to GTX 680. I did some quick test on
    REDcine
    Resolve
    Premiere
    and
    After Effects

I tried Editing and playing back 4K on the timelines and to my eyes performance is the same, do I'm missing something?

the only real difference I notice was with After Effect using 3D Raytrace with this benchmark file http://www.teddygage.com/AEBENCHCS6/ was about 3x times faster on the 680. Apart of that I don't find rendering footage or playing back any improvement at all.

You need to do your test with something like Prores. Unless you have RedRocket installed, your bottleneck is the debayer part of the process, which is done in CPU. GPU only comes in play later in the chain, during the effects render (applying the node in Resolve parlance).
    So, while using Resolve, load a Prores file, or better yet, if your disks are fast enough, use DPX and go to town with applying nodes and effects. If you compare Resolve performance then, you'll see the clear difference in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    You need to do your test with something like Prores. Unless you have RedRocket installed, your bottleneck is the debayer part of the process, which is done in CPU. GPU only comes in play later in the chain, during the effects render (applying the node in Resolve parlance).
    So, while using Resolve, load a Prores file, or better yet, if your disks are fast enough, use DPX and go to town with applying nodes and effects. If you compare Resolve performance then, you'll see the clear difference in performance.
    Thanks Man, I will do what you suggest

What are the system specs?

Is the GTX680 in a PCIe v3 slot? Latest drivers, including CUDA package, installed? GTX680 is roughly 2.5X faster than GTX285 for CUDA acceleration... Of course your apps won't run 2.5X faster because CUDA is only a portion of what is going on at any given time and a lot of people learn the hard way (after spending on upgrades) that the GPU wasn't their bottleneck to begin with.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.

Try another test using Software instead of GPU CUDA acceleration.

Premiere CS6:

I find my software playback is a touch smoother than GPU (GTX 285). When I start adding 3 way color correctors, sharpening, this is where you will see the GPU CUDA performance over software.
    I have a 2009, 8 core Mac Pro, 48GB ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey Blanco View Post
    REDcine
    Resolve
    Premiere
    and
    After Effects

Last edited by Will Keir; 11-07-2012 at 11:30 PM.
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    Is the GTX680 in a PCIe v3 slot? Latest drivers, including CUDA package, installed? GTX680 is roughly 2.5X faster than GTX285 for CUDA acceleration... Of course your apps won't run 2.5X faster because CUDA is only a portion of what is going on at any given time and a lot of people learn the hard way (after spending on upgrades) that the GPU wasn't their bottleneck to begin with.
    I was just about to buy a GTX 680 or 690 to replace my GTX 285 card, but now I'm worried that the GPU isn't my bottleneck as Jeff pointed out. I want to build a new system, but I'm out of the country doing post-production for the next 2 months on a project and I can't build a new system where I'm located. But I could have a new GPU sent to me. Jeff, would you have any suggestions? I plan to build a new system when I get back to the U.S., but I just need an increase in performance in the short term to get me through the next 2 months. I can barely play 5k footage at 1/2 res. Sometimes I'm working with 5 layers of 5k footage, so it's too much for my system to handle. Here's my system specs:

I7 CPU 950 (3.07 GHz) (8 cores?)
    12 GB ram
    64 bit, Vista
    GTX 285
    Classified X58 Motherboard

I'm connected to a server via a 10Gbps ethernet card. If I upgrade from a GTX 285 to a GTX 690, will I see a boost in performance? Or is my limitation being cause by other hardware? Thanks so much for your help.

Jeremy (PS: Awhile back you advised me to go the server route, so I spent about $11k on a new server. What a great investment! Thx.)
    www.creative-lab.com | Epic # 529 | RED One MX 388