Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Deadline for deciding on configuration?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Deadline for deciding on configuration? 
    So I assume when our number is up we will be contacted to let RED know what we want on the camera, and then it will be custom built to our specs?
    And since RED is completely modular and we can upgrade ad infinitum, the base price at $22k is just the starting point.

That gives me some time to decide since I'm #918

J*

The base price is $17,500. With a $2,500 allowance for reservations. The rest is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffry alan View Post
    You are absolutely wrong Brook
    I don't think Brook said the price didn't change. He simply said $17,500 +$2500 allowance towards accessories.

I think we all can agree the price is a little different today than it seemed to be yesterday. Luckily we all have that refundable +10% guarantee if we want to use it. Somehow I think most of us are staying along for the ride.

.......and you missed the point of my thread, which is: when do we have to decide on options, tell RED, have them assemble it, come up with the balance, etc?

J*

Quote Originally Posted by joelnet View Post
    I don't think Brook said the price didn't change. He simply said $17,500 +$2500 allowance towards accessories.
    and all I am saying is that a viewfinder and a battery are not "accessories".

J*

.......and you missed the point of my thread, which is: when do we have to decide on options, tell RED, have them assemble it, come up with the balance, etc?

J*
    As soon as you buy accessories you'll get the discount. Jim didn't say reservation holders "ACT NOW" to get your $2500 credit.

and all I am saying is that a viewfinder and a battery are not "accessories".
    I think the RED are calling them accessories though. I'm pretty sure if you sued them the judge would say the company gets to define what it thinks accessories for their product are called.

Hollywood even gets to define "Net Profits" in a way that no business school has ever taught.

So there is an unlimited number of "accessories" for all of the first 1430 rez holders just sitting there waiting to get slapped on the "base" camera?

J*

J*

Jim has said before that we'll have 30 days once our number is called. (That was in reference to the camera, before the issue of accessories came up)

Other than the optional RAW Port, I don't see what needs to be assembled. The various accessories you just bolt-on/plug-in as desired.

You don't HAVE to buy red branded batteries or viewfinder so technically Brook isn't wrong. That said why anyone would want to buy anything else is another matter. However the proposed price was just that... proposed. Red have always said from the getgo that everything was subject to change. Personally I look at the pricelist and find that you can get a pretty good package for less than many anticipated previously.

RED ONE CAMERA BODY $17,500
    RED ONE PREMIUM PRODUCTION PACK $2,750
    RED ONE POWER PACK $1,650
    RED EVF Viewfinder $2,950
    RED DRIVE 320GB $900 x 2
    Nikkor 35mm Photo Mount $500
    Sub Total = 27150
    Allowance = -2500
    Reservation = -1000
    Total = 23650

I wouldn't call that basic. Whilst we all want to get as much bang for the buck it's important to be realistic in our expectations and Red has done very well to beat them regularly.

In terms of Deadline I don't think manufacturing the accessories is as difficult as the camera itself and therefore there can be a greater leeway for delivering them nearer the delivery of the camera

Jeffry excuse me but check the pricing on the SonyF900 and Panasonic HDX900 and you will see that the battery and the viewfinder are options. Panasonic has widely advertised pricing through dealers of the NEW HDX900 camera, which did not include viewfinder or mounting plate or battery or charger.
    TJ
    www.camera-person.com

TJ Williams
    Seattle WA USA
    206 769 8585
    RED1, 4K Sony HD (HDCam) Panasonic HD
    Operator Dp, Videographer
    Steadicam Camera Crane Aerial mount
    www.camera-person.com