Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: New to the RED ONE? Ask here.

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Gallego View Post
    Hi everyone! I apologize for the newbie question, but here goes: I just received a 7" Red Pro LCD I purchased from another REDuser, and when I plug it into my battle tested Red One, it just has a blank white screen. Is there a setting I might have to change within the menus to get the LCD to work properly? The seller tells me that it worked fine on his Epic before shipping, and suggested since I live in Burbank I should drop the camera by Red and have them take a look at it. This is the first LCD I'm trying on the camera, but it was one of the battle tested bunch so shouldn't that mean Red checked it out before shipping to me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Christopher
    Hi Chris

Did you sort out your problem - or still need help?
    DOP / Digital Lighting Camera Operator
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by andy black View Post
    im sure its been answered but is the reason some of the r1's just have "RED" on the side of them and others have "MYSTERIUM-X " on them because the "RED" is the old red ones that have been upgraded with mx and the "MYSTERIUM-X" is the newer batch that were mx from the beginning.

sorry for lame question, just something that i was wondering....
    If the Side Module is a Compact Flash unit, then they had "Mysterium-X" engraved on the Side Module when they were upgraded.
    However, if the Side Module is an SSD unit, then they only came out relatively recently and were user installable, after most R1s were already upgraded, and so would not have been engraved. The underlying Red One could be either a R1M or an R1MX. You'd have to watch the start up screen to see what type of sensor is really in the camera now.
    DOP / Digital Lighting Camera Operator
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

It's been a while, but if I recall, the Many R1s were also upgraded to MX. So it could be a number of reasons.

Jay

Thanks for the responses guys.

Hi Martin ..Jim KOZMIK from Canada..just bought a redone mx and it hs always had the birger mount for canon on it equipped with impero wheel.the focusseems to search and will not focus any thoughts.
    Jim Kozmik
    CSC, IATSE 667, DOP, camera operator, associate producer; Blue Realm, Undersea Explorer,& Sport Diver TV series, Aquavideo REDONE housing, Nikon Optitek Prolock, Tokina 11-16mm, 105mm,
    14-24mm,50mm,available for rent, 416-705-4174 kozmikunderwater@gmail.com (Toronto,Canada)

I'm new here to RED and just got a Red One Non MX. I'm not getting very good shots rather it's day light
    or a semi sun lit room. I have the Red One, with Briger EF mount, Tokina EF 11-16mm lens, Canon Prime 24.mm
    @ F1.8, and a few other lens. I dunno it's just the colors don't look right and in the lower light there's a lot of noise.
    Wish it had auto exposure and what not.

Hi Leroy,

Daylight is good and preferred to tungsten as the sensor responds better and more balanced to it. I recommend using False Color to check your exposure. Learn about it and learn how to use it. Set up the scene, have a look, and then double check using false color. If there's people in the scene for example, check their skintones now, they should ideally be displayed grey/pink/green. By checking this you know exactly what you are getting. This should yield great results. It also reveals potential trouble area's, helping you decide at the shoot whether it needs an extra light in the background for example. Auto exposure is for lazy people ;)
    Once you are sure you get exposure right, then it's onto grading to get those colors you are looking for. They are there for sure.

Sorry for another dumb question, guys. I dont have R1MX in the ownership on my red.com account, but I want to upgrade one for the latest color science. Somehow I got v32.0.2 but I believe its outdated. Can someone drop me a PM with a link to grab v32.0.3 (if that's not a crime:)? BTW anyone having any issues with .3? Any cons?

Cheers!

Banned
    Hi Guys,

I've got a real 'Newb' question or two here. Firstly, how does one find 'Redlogfilm' setting on the RED ONE MX camera? I can find the gamma's, just not the red log. I'm not sure if i'm just being blind, or if it's got a different name. And secondly, Jannard talks about 5:1 being the sweet spot. I have started shooting REDCODE 42, which i know is probably overkill, but i want the best out of the camera. Is this what he is talking about?

Sorry for my stupidity in advance!

- Nick

Correct, the RedCode compression. I believe REDCODE 42 is 8:1, and is the max the Red One MX can do. The Epic is the only camera capable of 5:1 24p, but REDCODE 42 looks silky smooth too! :P