Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: REDRAY Comments

Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 132 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kiritz View Post
    That's where the pitchfork module comes into play.
    heh heh heh.. uprezing 1080p to 4k isn't gonna fool very many people :)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kiritz View Post
    That's where the pitchfork module comes into play.
    Heh, maybe it won't be necessary. Since in near future DSLRs and even adventure cams like GoPro might do "4K".

Not all 4K footage will be equal though. I suppose we have to let go of the high expectations we have built with 4K as other companies adopt the soubriquet and exploit it. Today, 4K is more or less a gurantee of epic visual quality. That will change.

Quote Originally Posted by Liana View Post
    Yes, but my understanding is you will have to pay one time fee of $20 for 'encoding license'. Along with this license you will get access to ODEMAX, where you can start your distribution channel.

So it is not like youtube where anyone can upload just about anything. Maybe that is not a bad thing. Whatever. We'll see.
    The $20 is to buy the encoding plug in, its per machine you want to encode on not per video. An additional barrier so low an ant would struggle to trip over it..... Especially as theres a license free with the player.

I wonder about the bandwidth costs, though. What happens if someone produces a 4K content and releases it on ODEMAX for free, and it becomes 'viral'?

I suppose the need of a $1450 Redray player would acts as a throttle of some sort, unlike youtube where anyone can watch content as long as you have a PC, tablet or smartphone.
    THers a danger of that but the network seems robust.

Aside -and continuing my pessimistic streak- what happens when in future there is a service that has better (for the producer) revenue share than ODEMAX

What if I start a service that shares revenue 80%-20%? Or 60%-40%, for that matter?

Is RedRay -now and forever- tied to ODEMAX? That sounds like a weakness.
    Well you can put on any non-DRM content on it you want, if its .mp4 or.red no enconding needed, if not you could always run it through an encoder, other formats to be added. DRM stuff who knows. But since ODEMAX is REDs, they can always chaneg the distribution model as hey wish to be more competitive. It could end up being an issue but that all depends on how much you trust a RED to deal with and predict market trends.

Most importantly, would Red be willing to open up Redray player to other 'distribution platforms' (as long as they distribute in .RED, of course), or are we looking at the birth of a monopoly?
    It would only be a monopoly if no-one produces a rival service. Plus since you can load any non-DRM video on you like theres always a way to get content on that isnt on OPEMAX.

Does the player have uPnP capabilities, or a way to play files from the local network (instead of pluging an extarnal hard drive) ?
    Sunless Films - Independent films production and distribution : Website

Jarred, it's seems you plan to do direct sales from red.com like you're doing for cameras.
    Any plan for other selling channels ? As it's potentially a mass-market product ?
    Sunless Films - Independent films production and distribution : Website

Quote Originally Posted by Yannick Verry View Post
    Jarred, it's seems you plan to do direct sales from red.com like you're doing for cameras.
    Any plan for other selling channels ? As it's potentially a mass-market product ?
    Somewhere in the thread network storage is mentioned by Jarred I think.

The price is amazing, all we need now is some 4K screens and the RED projector - what's the latest guys?

Scott
    Midas Media
    www.midasmedia.tv

This is pretty close to what I had hoped and whished for. Only I hope some big contentproviders are onboard, too. Look foreward to have films accessible in this format and bring the box to festivals, as I guess that is how it's gonna be from getgo. But the hugeness in this potential, will only get real with warner and sony and columbia and disney and a frw indian and chinese studios on board. But My guess is that is exactly what has taken all the time...
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

Still do you need the rr to play the movies you encoded on your pc? (Im getting the player after i get the bm 4k card.)

Can i deliver a .red file on a usb stick to a client and all he/she need to play it back is the decoder plugin for like the same price as the decoder.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Is it going to be the same 2,5 MB/s rate for all different framerates and 2d/3d?
    For example there's quite a lot of more information in 3d 4k@48 fps compared to 2d 4k@24 fps (4x theoretically). On the other hand I guess it's easier to compress faster framerates as there's less motion (= difference) between the frames. Though faster frame rates might also mean faster shutter speeds => less motion blur => sharper images => more detail => harder to compress. Clever codecs can probably also encode stereo images by only defining the difference between 'the eyes' so 3d wouldn't mean doubling the amount of data from 2d.