Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Scarlet and Dragon...

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Toia View Post
    With the price of the EPIC so low now... Why would you even worry about Scarlet sensor upgrade. Just move up to EPIC and get the whole enchilada.

Keep them cheap and simple I say.
    Make a pocket Scarlet, discontinue this one.

My two cents worth.
    Mark hits it on the head once again.
    Camera Rentals
    Washington DC, Baltimore, Mid Atlantic region
    Monsrto VV, Helium, Scarlet, Helium Monochrome, Arri Mini, Amira and Classic, Sony Venice, Varicam LT
    Master Prime's, Summicron's, Cooke S4i, TLS Panchros, Ultra's, Sigma's, TLS Leica R's, Super Speeds
    Anamorphics- Zeiss Master, Cooke, Kowa Evolution, Atlas Orion A + B sets
    www.Dc-camera.com
    Like our Facebook and follow Instagram pages for updates

Thats all very well! but some people cannot afford an epic at present, people on high looking down shouldn't throw stones. RED has to be commended as it looks after people with lesser budgets to film in Raw.
    Regards

Raven Ordered
    Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8 L - Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8 L - Canon EF 24-105mm f4 L IS - Canon EF 70-200mm f4 L IS
    Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS - Canon EF 2x Converter MKIII

If I were to make a bet on the Scarlet upgrade, it would be upon its return an epic camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Soderberg View Post
    Can you deny or confirm the ability for Dragon to give Scarlet 24fps at 5k?

Feeling like even with Dragon, Scarlet shouldn't have 24fps at 5k which is one of the important specs that sets Epic away from Scarlet.
    Personally I'm way more excited about 16 stops of DR than 24fps at 5K, but it makes sense. New ASICs should be more powerful, so I guess one can expect 24 fps (or even 30 fps) in 5K. Less rolling shutter too, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Salter View Post
    Thats all very well! but some people cannot afford an epic at present, people on high looking down shouldn't throw stones. RED has to be commended as it looks after people with lesser budgets to film in Raw.
    Nope.. not looking down at all. Price is important. Very important. But with cheapening technology, you have to really consider the upgrade path and think is it worth it.
    You paid 7 k for the Scarlet body.. you pay 6k for the upgrade (maybe more as Jim Stated) so thats 14k.. for a camera that still only shoots 24p.
    You become so close to having an EPIC for 6k more that does everything you want.

On a personal level, the scarlet was a good idea a year or two ago.. but now... I don't think so. Only because the EPIC is so cheap now.
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

will the scarlet ( with the new updated boards (that jim referred to) ) boot a bit performance ? such as Redcode 3:1 or a even bit higher framerate ?

thanks

g

Mark,
    perfect reasoning

I think someone's been to the drag strip....

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Sample footage soon. Be prepared to be completely blown away. Times a million.

Jim
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Toia View Post
    Nope.. not looking down at all. Price is important. Very important. But with cheapening technology, you have to really consider the upgrade path and think is it worth it.
    You paid 7 k for the Scarlet body.. you pay 6k for the upgrade (maybe more as Jim Stated) so thats 14k.. for a camera that still only shoots 24p.
    You become so close to having an EPIC for 6k more that does everything you want.

On a personal level, the scarlet was a good idea a year or two ago.. but now... I don't think so. Only because the EPIC is so cheap now.
    Personally I'm very happy to have my Scarlet, soon it will have paid off itself....but just to correct the figures: Let's say a Scarlet brain with Dragon Sensor is $14,000-15,000 with the upgrade, but the EPIC is still 19,000 + 6,000 with the upgrade, that's 11k-12k away, not 6k. For some of us still needing more memory cards, accessories, modules, we're better off having bought the Scarlet.

On a sidenote, I'm curious if non full frame glass will work on the Dragon sensor, has anything been said about this?

Since everything is improving so fast, at some point upgrading scarlet will make it as powerful as the Epic we know today, and so on...
    Maybe a trade-in program would be easier for everybody ?

Or an upgrade but not to 6K :
    Epic people upgrade to Dragon, and Scarlet users get the 5K at a better framerate than now...
    Dragon will be something fantastic, but after using it for a while I'd really like to shoot 5K @ 24/25fps with my scarlet. This is not a huge step but it would make a real difference anyhow, people could perfectly match footage with 5K Epic, etc.
    Maybe the updrade premium for we customers would be very affordable.
    Sunless Films - Independent films production and distribution : Website