Thread: 4 Panel Video Wall for use with REDRAY. Any display recommendations?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 4 Panel Video Wall for use with REDRAY. Any display recommendations? 
    Senior Member William Albertini's Avatar
    As I await delivery of my REDRAY player I have started research on 1920 x 1080 LCD displays for use in a 4 panel video wall. I am interested in 40"-50" diagonal and preferably under $2000 each. It is important that the bezel be thin and uniform on all sides, preferably without logos. Speakers and tuner functions are unnecessary. It will be for use in a gallery/POS setting. I have found this Samsung which might fit the bill, but other recommendations would be appreciated.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G&A=details&Q=

how about four projectors, eh? ;)
    Scarlet-X #970 "Silver"

http://www.digitalsignagetoday.com/s...ps-Video-Walls
    These are commercial grade displays rated for 24/7 operation with a 3 year advance replacement warranty.
    Not as cheap as consumer sets and probably not as cheap as you would like, but very reasonable for commercial grade displays. 55" 1080p Zero bezel should be around $3000 each max,maybe as low as $2400 or so. 46" and 47" models fall around $2k.

Thanks David, I will check this out. Philips pro stuff has always been top notch. Paul, projectors would not work for my needs, too much ambient light for front projection and not enough space for rear projection...

I have more than 40 screens in play which run on average 12hrs. per day, 6 days a week. They are installed in retail stores, waiting rooms, etc. We looked at commercial quality screens, then compared price and picture quality. In the end we went for plain old consumer grade screens, all in 1080P. They look great and more than one year into our business launch we have not lost one single screen due to breakdown. Unless you have money to burn or the screens will be thrown around a lot, I would not waste my money on expensive units. Just make sure you put overload protection on the entire system. Find screens that look great to your eye and put them up. We saved more than 60%.

Larry

To the day only 3 companies have the LFD displays with thin borders (beziel?). There are Samsung, LG and NEC. Philips also want a piece of a pie there. But the leaders are only that 3 companies. This is because they have beziels of the displays stacked together only 5 or 6 mm thin. I will reccomend you to look at NEC because they integrated hardware color calibration in they displays to better match the colors and other parameters. They are perfect but the cost.

LG Models are: 47WV30 , 47WV30B , 55WV70*
    Samsung models you can look here: http://www.samsung.com/ru/business/b...lay/video-wall
    And NEC: http://www.nec-display-solutions.com...h/X463UN.xhtml

The links provided by me have Russian text sometimes but you can get the model numers for your own investigation.

And one more thing you need to point your attention to. Working temperatures (usually 5...45 degrees of C) and power consumption. If you have only 4 displays this is not a problem. But if you want to build a larger display wall you need to be careful because some of displays eats 500W of power each. So you need to build your own electricity power plant nearby :)
    Last edited by Andrey B; 12-14-2012 at 07:25 AM.
    Blackmagic Production 4K Camera.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/reklama4demo

Thanks Larry and Andrey, your thoughts and recommendations have been duly noted. Larry, I would be interested in knowing which screens you settled on.

Keep in mind that I don't have to match colour etc. on my screens as we are only putting one screen in at each location so you may want to consider a slightly higher end screen. We are producing 1080P advertising for our clients with lots of motion graphics and text integrated into the video due to the fact that the ads are silent. For this reason I am shooting everything in 30P which gives nice smooth pans and graphics with no jaggies. The screens we are using are Toshiba, 40" led, Lcd. Toshiba 46"Lcd. Toshiba 50"Led, Sony 32" 1080P units. I can't remember the model number but they are the lowest level Sony makes in 1080P. To top it off we purchased all of these screens as factory refurbished and negotiated a 1 year over the counter warrantee. As I said, not one failure caused by faulty units and we have a few that are running 24/7.

Larry