Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Contax Zeiss Survival Guide

Reply to Thread
Page 460 of 466 FirstFirst ... 360410450456457458459460461462463464 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,600 of 4655
    Yes +3 Leitax!

Hey gang,

After some information about some lenses I picked up over the weekend.
    The guy said they were zeiss contax, but they look a little like the ZE/ZF versions. they do not flare easily when hit with hard light.

The set is a PL rehouse that was brought here to Australia several years ago. most Serial numbers are in the low 700000's. all have the T* coating.

The kit comes with
    21 2.8 Distagon
    35 2.8 Distagon
    50 1.4 Planar
    85 1.4 Planar
    100 2 Planar
    135 2 Planar

here are some images. I can provide more

https://ibb.co/dpmm8mV
    https://ibb.co/pL3wNV2

I purchased off the cuff thinking they would be great for large format work, but was really hoping for the contax coatings.

I am sharing what is hands down the best youtube video ever created related to Contax Zeiss. Over 45 minutes in 8k resolution of high quality footage about the history, comparisons, mod'ing etc of Contax Zeiss lenses. If you don't have the time to watch the whole thing, the intro is worth it alone. Great job by the guys over at media division - they really out did themselves with this.

Really interesting Pedram, thank you.
    In part, it's a bit like an abbreviated visual account of Nick's tireless written work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedram Talai View Post
    I am sharing what is hands down the best youtube video ever created related to Contax Zeiss. Over 45 minutes in 8k resolution of high quality footage about the history, comparisons, mod'ing etc of Contax Zeiss lenses. If you don't have the time to watch the whole thing, the intro is worth it alone. Great job by the guys over at media division - they really out did themselves with this.
    Just saw the Newsshooter article as well that featured this video

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/09/...-super-speeds/
    Red EPIC-W #003307 "Annabelle"

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Ayers View Post
    Hey gang,

After some information about some lenses I picked up over the weekend.
    The guy said they were zeiss contax, but they look a little like the ZE/ZF versions. they do not flare easily when hit with hard light.

The set is a PL rehouse that was brought here to Australia several years ago. most Serial numbers are in the low 700000's. all have the T* coating.

The kit comes with
    21 2.8 Distagon
    35 2.8 Distagon
    50 1.4 Planar
    85 1.4 Planar
    100 2 Planar
    135 2 Planar

here are some images. I can provide more

https://ibb.co/dpmm8mV
    https://ibb.co/pL3wNV2

I purchased off the cuff thinking they would be great for large format work, but was really hoping for the contax coatings.
    These are definitely Contax lenses.
    1) You mentioned serials in the low 7xxxxxx. That's all MM Contaxes. The Classics are 15xxxxxx.
    2) There is no 35/2.8, neither a 100/2 Non-Makro Planar "Classic" lens (that's the official name of what people used to call ZE/ZF lenses)

Truth is that people expect some enormous difference between the Contaxes and the Classics but in fact, in practical situations, they are all great Zeiss lenses and the two look very similar when compared against other brands. Many people have mixed sets and don't struggle at all about it. In fact, partly thanks to this thread, these days is so hard to find the premium Contaxes (21/2.8, 28/2, 35/1.4, 100/2, 135/2) in good condition and reasonable price so I recommend to people to go for the Classics instead if they are aiming for a premium Zeiss set. Even Milvus look similar to the Contaxes when you compare them to lets say Sigmas or Canons and they come with vastly superior optical performance, mechanics and durability to the Classics and of course the 25~45 years old used and abused Contaxes (just got a balsam separation last month on my $2000 worth mint and cherry picked Contax 21/2.8 simply for daring to go out and film on a 35C hot day). I also found out that the iris blades number can make a great impact in rendering, sometimes to more obvious ways than the coating would. The older T* on the Contaxes might be from that Zeiss Standard/Superspeed era but the "Classics" coating is also something between the Ultra Primes and the CP.2 T*. All delicious and wonderful Zeiss lenses :)
    Last edited by Georgios Tryfonas; 09-08-2019 at 08:36 PM.
    My Contax Zeiss MM collection: 18/4 21/2.8 25/2.8 28/2(AE) 28/2.8 35/1.4 35/2.8 50/1.4 85/1.4 85/2.8 100/2.8M(AE) 135/2.8 180/2.8 28-85/3.3-4 35-70/3.4

Quote Originally Posted by William Long View Post
    Really interesting Pedram, thank you.
    In part, it's a bit like an abbreviated visual account of Nick's tireless written work.
    Have to say it's a good video! Loved their setup with the projectors...
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Hi guys

i'm Cristian from italy, i have a contax lens set for sale:
    28mm f2
    35mm f1,4
    50mm f1,4
    85mm f1,4
    100mm f2
    135mm f2

all in very good condition, with canon ef adapter.
    if anyone are interested, i will make the photos in a few days.
    Have a nice day

Anyone had any experience with the 85mm f1.2 Planar Anniversary Edition?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J Wilson View Post
    Anyone had any experience with the 85mm f1.2 Planar Anniversary Edition?
    Yup we have an MM version we shoot with in our regular kit.

It's fantastic.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv