Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Contax Zeiss Survival Guide

Reply to Thread
Page 452 of 468 FirstFirst ... 352402442448449450451452453454455456462 ... LastLast
Results 4,511 to 4,520 of 4675
    not perfectly sure, bro, but this damn feels like a cement degradation to me:-(

if so, two scenarios possible, one is it remains the same with no influence on the image, the other is when optical glue degrades more resulting in complete white or semi-matte surface, with no or ghosty white image

I pray it is just the oily residue, though...

Thank you Nick and Ilya for the replies. Unfortunately it was balsam separation and had to give up the lens getting a refund. These lenses are getting much harder to find in good shape these days. On the bright side I used some of that refund money to get a 28/2 AEG and 25/2.8MMJ so not bad at all. Still on hunt for a good 35/1.4 MM though.
    My Contax Zeiss MM collection: 18/4 21/2.8 25/2.8 28/2(AE) 28/2.8 35/1.4 35/2.8 50/1.4 85/1.4 85/2.8 100/2.8M(AE) 135/2.8 180/2.8 28-85/3.3-4 35-70/3.4

meg

Been loving my Contax Zeiss lenses and their ninja star bokeh

...not quite shot on a RED, but thought I'd share anyway haha. Thank you Nick and everyone else who contributed to this amazing thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Mulhern View Post
    meg

Been loving my Contax Zeiss lenses and their ninja star bokeh

...not quite shot on a RED, but thought I'd share anyway haha. Thank you Nick and everyone else who contributed to this amazing thread!
    Looks AWESOME!
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

What about the zeiss planar (ef) lenses, how do they compare with these yashica contax lenses?
    Last edited by Joe Cage; 01-11-2019 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cage View Post
    What about the zeiss planar (ef) lenses, how do they compare with these yashica contax lenses?
    Planar is as type of lens design, not a brand of lens - are you referring to the more modern Zeiss EF lenses?

As mentioned many times before, the modern lenses look...well...more modern.

There's nothing wrong with that. But it's not the vintage look of Contax.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Planar is as type of lens design, not a brand of lens - are you referring to the more modern Zeiss EF lenses?

As mentioned many times before, the modern lenses look...well...more modern.

There's nothing wrong with that. But it's not the vintage look of Contax.
    Ok thanks, yeah looking for a new set of leses.
    - Own Leica summicrons (great character, wish them were faster though, tested the summilux, they are amazing, but the price tag is too much).
    - Own Sigma ART lenses (dont have a lot of love for them, too much weight and lack of character)
    - Own a bunch of Canon L lenses (also dont love the weight, perform pretty good though)
    - Did own the contax zeiss 35mm 1.4, but sold it. maybe thinking in buying a contax zeiss lens set. (at the time I loved the summicrons more, but I am more in need of a faster stop most of the time).
    - Also looking in the nikon AIS lenses, never owned any so far.

The vintage look is great, but gathering them is hell to get a good copy. So would love a lens set that you just can buy new that has manual aputure, and also has great character. Still on the lookout.

I use the Sigma 18-35mm together with Contax lenses and IMHO they match quite nicely.
    Regards,

Uli

My Red is called Vertov after a Russian avantgarde filmmaker, a pioneer in modern cinematography, a true revolutionary who later suffered under Stalin's bureaucracy.

Just an update on the dating of Contax Zeiss lenses for the ones that care.
    The serials do not specifically mean anything; they can't be decoded to derive the date or model for example. They were given in series as the lenses were produced and they go on till today with Milvus lenses having an 8 digit serial 51xxxxxx for example. It is not necessary that the lenses were made exactly one after another. Serials for a specific batch might have been assigned and that batch could be completed later than another batch that its production decision was taken later for example. In general though those deviations should be within the one year timespan. Also many lenses might have been made a little while earlier than their release date especially when new products were introduced like the MM mount. I will ignore such deviations because it's impossible to know exactly.

Here are some clues
    - I have serviced a couple of f2.8 MMJs with 79xxxxx serials and they had their manufacturing date inscribed inside the lens. They were both made in 1996. That gives us a solid and confirmed date for that serial.
    - Contax G system was introduced in 1994 with the G1. The earliest Contax G lenses are in the 75xxxxx serials. That gives us another hint that the lenses from 75~79 serials were roughly made during 94~96.
    - The 28/2 lens was only made in (West) Germany. The earliest serials I have seen for that lens is 58xxxxxx and the highest is 62xxxxx. That includes the MM version of this lens as well with serials of late 60 and up to 62xxxxx. There are even AE versions of this lens with higher serial number than the MM one. That is an oddity as somebody would generally expect MM lenses to be from 68xxxxx and onwards. The truth is that while the majority of MMs were produced with serials higher than 68xxxxx there were still copies produced before that but in a much smaller number as the system was just introduced and people still had AE cameras for years to come. The introduction of the MM system was done in 1984. For some lenses those MMs were the only batch every produced. Those 61xxxxx MMGs are actually some of the very first lenses produced with the new mount. That can safely put the serial 61xxxxx in 1984~5. That lens was never made again after those years. The datasheet of the lenses from Zeiss website shows an old scanned paper like they had trouble finding it; which is odd as the rest of the lenses have a much cleaner version. The "Classic" ZE/ZF.2 28/2 that came decades later has a new design. A similar situation also happened with the 135/2 lens with the MM versions having an 61xxxxx serial; there are also the 60th years limited edition version of that lenses though with a serial of 73xxxxx.
    - Another thing that happened is the fall of the Berlin Wall and the unification of Germany. This is a historical event and therefore we can use it to date lenses. Germany was unified in Oct/1990. Lenses with 70xxxxx serial number have the "Made in West Germany" inscribed on them. As lenses manufacturing kept moving to Cosina in Japan, most lenses after that were not manufactured in Germany. Some lenses though like the 135/2 or 85/1.2 Limited Edition were made in Germany. Those have a 73xxxxx serial number and a "Made in Germany" inscription on them. It means that the 70xxxxx lenses were made before 90s and 73xxxxx lenses at least from 1991 or well roughly because I don't think Zeiss suddenly threw away all their iris rings and changed their process in a day.
    - There is a list of when each of the lenses was firstly introduced. Using that data and searching for the earliest serial of that lens we can reach to some further conclusions but these are not the most accurate indications - still useful.

Using the clues above and speculation I have roughly filled in the production years. They are not exactly accurate in any way and except the facts I mentioned above everything else is speculation and approximation.

60 1983
    61 1984
    62 1985
    63 1986
    64 1987
    65 1987
    66 1988
    67 1988
    68 1989
    69 1989
    70 1990
    71 1990
    72 1991
    73 1992
    74 1993
    75 1994
    77 1995
    79 1996
    80 1997
    Last edited by Georgios Tryfonas; 01-22-2019 at 12:07 AM.
    My Contax Zeiss MM collection: 18/4 21/2.8 25/2.8 28/2(AE) 28/2.8 35/1.4 35/2.8 50/1.4 85/1.4 85/2.8 100/2.8M(AE) 135/2.8 180/2.8 28-85/3.3-4 35-70/3.4

Wow!

What an incredible research!!! THANKS!!!