Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Contax Zeiss Survival Guide

Reply to Thread
Page 467 of 470 FirstFirst ... 367417457463464465466467468469470 LastLast
Results 4,661 to 4,670 of 4695
    Keep in mind, though, that some of the lenses with weaker corners WO (I'm looking at you, 25mm f2,8) will show more of that.

Still a great lens when stopped down.
    Regards,

Uli

My Red is called Vertov after a Russian avantgarde filmmaker, a pioneer in modern cinematography, a true revolutionary who later suffered under Stalin's bureaucracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo Lamarre View Post
    What's the full coverage of the Contax? Would they work on large format sensor cameras (Mini LF, Venice)?
    Wider ones won't cover Monstro properly, unfortunately.
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon 6K Carbon Fiber #1605 aka qp
    instagram | twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    Can anyone comment on the build quality Kimcamera PL versions of the contax? He seems like he is the only one that will do the 35 speed, for some reason the others like GL Optics and someone else I asked wont do that lens, which has held me off from getting these PL modded. Kimcamera has pics of all these older great photo lenses rehoused and they look good in the pics, and the price is good. Soooo, whats the catch. I can't seem to find much at all as far as firsthand user experience with these. It seems like maybe he puts a shell on these and leaves the internals but I have no idea, I think i remember hearing that.
    You can see Kimcamera on social media and eBay.
    Jake,

Kimcamera rehousing is basically the worse one around, really cheaply made vs the competitions, not precise enough with finishing blemishes and mechanical issues.

Contax 35 1.4 can't be rehoused to PL unless the rear element edge is trimmed, causing less coverage, so it's not really an option.
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon 6K Carbon Fiber #1605 aka qp
    instagram | twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Tommaso Alvisi View Post
    Jake,

Kimcamera rehousing is basically the worse one around, really cheaply made vs the competitions, not precise enough with finishing blemishes and mechanical issues.

Contax 35 1.4 can't be rehoused to PL unless the rear element edge is trimmed, causing less coverage, so it's not really an option.
    Thanks for the info!!
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

I have been looking for the 28 Hollywood f2.0 but not a whole lot of them on ebay at the moment. About a year ago there was a couple of them circulating on Ebay by Japanese sellers. I found a 28 f.2.8 MM in really good condition, almost looks new. What's everyone thought on that one? Worth it? I like the fact that it is small and would work well with gimbals and a small cam like the Komodo. Are there any lens test videos out there for the 28mm F2.8 MM ?

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo Lamarre View Post
    I have been looking for the 28 Hollywood f2.0 but not a whole lot of them on ebay at the moment. About a year ago there was a couple of them circulating on Ebay by Japanese sellers. I found a 28 f.2.8 MM in really good condition, almost looks new. What's everyone thought on that one? Worth it? I like the fact that it is small and would work well with gimbals and a small cam like the Komodo. Are there any lens test videos out there for the 28mm F2.8 MM ?
    CARL ZEISS DISTAGON 2,8/28 T* (C/Y) AEJ Speedbooster SONY A6000
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ_e5HAgu7U

Hello people!
    Anyone would be interest in modding iris aperture on their lenses?
    In the last pic you can see zeiss 50mm f1.4 with new iris next to takumar 50mm f1.4.
    Let me know what you think!
    Thank you!

Hi Nick and friends!

Thanks so much for all your help and advice with regards Contax Zeiss lenses.

I have built a good collection so far (25mm 2.8 AEG / 35mm 1.4 MMJ / 50mm 1.4 MMJ / 85mm 1.4 MMJ / 135mm 2.8 MMJ / 80-200 4 MMJ) and they are truly gems and I use them all the time.

What I am really desperate for right now is some wide and ultra-wide glass, wider than my 25mm AEG. I do not have the money right now (especially in these most uncertain of times) to buy the 21mm.

At risk of controversy, are there any options from other brands that might fulfill my need for wide at a much cheaper price in the mean time, until I can save up for the 21mm. Pentax? Minolta? Old Canon? Anything else?

These are my needs:
    -21mm or wider
    -f2.8 or brighter
    -Solid manual focus lens with hard stops
    -Easy conversion to Canon EF
    -Standard focus direction (not Nikon then I guess)

I am happy to have something that isn't quite as world class as the 21mm MMJ if I can afford it and it will intercut relatively smoothly with my existing Contax glass... I'm thinking something under the $500 mark (rather than the $1500-2000 that good units of the 21mm cost).

Thanks so much in advance :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Schindler View Post
    Hi Nick and friends!

Thanks so much for all your help and advice with regards Contax Zeiss lenses.

I have built a good collection so far (25mm 2.8 AEG / 35mm 1.4 MMJ / 50mm 1.4 MMJ / 85mm 1.4 MMJ / 135mm 2.8 MMJ / 80-200 4 MMJ) and they are truly gems and I use them all the time.

What I am really desperate for right now is some wide and ultra-wide glass, wider than my 25mm AEG. I do not have the money right now (especially in these most uncertain of times) to buy the 21mm.

At risk of controversy, are there any options from other brands that might fulfill my need for wide at a much cheaper price in the mean time, until I can save up for the 21mm. Pentax? Minolta? Old Canon? Anything else?

These are my needs:
    -21mm or wider
    -f2.8 or brighter
    -Solid manual focus lens with hard stops
    -Easy conversion to Canon EF
    -Standard focus direction (not Nikon then I guess)

I am happy to have something that isn't quite as world class as the 21mm MMJ if I can afford it and it will intercut relatively smoothly with my existing Contax glass... I'm thinking something under the $500 mark (rather than the $1500-2000 that good units of the 21mm cost).

Thanks so much in advance :-)
    What about the 21mm f2.8 ZE? (Or ZF if you need the click stops, but not sure which direction that focuses in, others will know...)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...1mm_f_2_8.html

Why are the Contax lenses so much more expensive than their optically updated ZE counterparts?
    Last edited by Matt W.; 03-25-2020 at 09:09 PM.

Hi Jacob,

I recommend getting the Olympus 21mm f2. I paired with my Contax Zeiss most of the time and got excellent results. It is sharp wide open, also

sharper than its f3.5 sibling at the same aperture. The bokeh is a bit busy wide open when shooting against busy background for example trees. Mainly

in the corner and goes away when stopping down to f2.8 which I personally love shooting at. Image contrast also matches with the Contax Zeiss lenses.

The only complain would be the color it renders, not matching with Contax Zeiss Line-up which will require some tweaking in post.
    Check out this previous post of mine for examples.
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...=1#post1850558