Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Contax Zeiss Survival Guide

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 462 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pasquariello View Post
    ... I'll tell ya, the deciding factor for me for starting to go all in on Contax Zeiss rather than other glass, is that I can see the trend of the lens prices going up and up for the next few years. ... and the memory of the first time I stepped behind a piece of Zeiss glass; it was love at first sight.
    I don't want to feed your addiction ... or be your pusher ... or cause a break-up in your marriage or relationship ... but KEH has a "like new" 21/2.8 Distagon for $1,950.00. A little more than $1,000.00 over what I paid for my copy ... but knowing what I know now about that lens ... I would jump on it in a heart-beat.

Zeiss Lenses:

CY 21/2.8
    ZF 28/2.0
    CY 35-70/3.4
    CY 50/1.4
    ZF100/2.0

Nikon Lenses:
    G 14-24/2.8
    G 24-70/2.8
    D 80-200/2.8

Tokina Lenses:

11-16/2.8

Senior Member Shervin Mandgaryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sepaniak View Post
    I don't want to feed your addiction ... or be your pusher ... or cause a break-up in your marriage or relationship ... but KEH has a "like new" 21/2.8 Distagon for $1,950.00. A little more than $1,000.00 over what I paid for my copy ... but knowing what I know now about that lens ... I would jump on it in a heart-beat.
    "And just like that... it's gone."
    ----------------------
    Shervin Mandgaryan

Cinematographer
    www.shervincine.com

Yeah I saw that lens there too....it's an unreal lens. GONE. Was on the store for 24hrs only. Haha.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Senior Member Nick Pasquariello's Avatar
    Don't have that kind of scratch right now anyway. Shame too; I need a good wide angle.
    Icarus Rex Productions
    Scarlet #1798 "Ariadne"
    Local 600 DIT

I saw it too...thought about it seriously for about 10 seconds...came THIS close to pulling the trigger...then thought about what my wife would say...and closed the browser and walked away from the computer.
    BRAINCELL CAMERA - MICHIGAN Renting Weapon Helium, Gemini, Raven, Alexa Studio, Alexa Mini
    Primes: Atlas Anamorphics, Cooke Panchro Classic, Sigma Cine, Celere HS, Leica R, Zeiss Contax
    Zooms: Optimo 15-40, Optimo DPs, Cooke 18-100, Duclos 11-16
    Support: Ronin 2, Black Arm, Alpha Wheels, Tero, ReadyRig, EasyRig, Teradek RT FIZs, Teradek Bolts, Bright Tangerine matteboxes, FSI monitors
    ------
    Cinematography/Production Professor, Compass College of Cinematic Arts, Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks Shervin! I always wondered about the 35-70, what a treat to play with the R3D frame in RCX.
    Looks like a fun and impressive lens!

Quote Originally Posted by Shervin Mandgaryan View Post
    I've attatched a quick shot of my dog...
    I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself. -Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Reed View Post
    Thanks Shervin! I always wondered about the 35-70, what a treat to play with the R3D frame in RCX.
    Looks like a fun and impressive lens!
    The 35-70 is great. It's cousin the 28-85 is essentially just as good, it just displays some distortion at 28mm, doesn't have a constant F-stop (loses half a stop at the end...goes from 3.3 to f4), and doesn't have any macro. But in many ways it's greater range makes it more usable.

But the 35-70 is just flawless. That's why it's special. Besides the push-pull and fact that it's not a 2.8, there are no "buts".
    Nick Morrison
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Senior Member Shervin Mandgaryan's Avatar
    If you guys are looking into Canon mounting your Contax lenses and don't feel like dropping a wad of cash to Leitax each lens... look no further.

I bought 5 adapters from various sellers on eBay to test to see which is the best. I don't have a Leitax adapter to compare them with but I do have a $175 Kindal/Rayqual adapter from Japan which is king of the removable adapters to test them to. I did my own assessment based on how snug the adapters fit, if they focus to infinity, and if they don't throw off focus marks.

3 of the 5 adapters I bought were pure garbage. One would slip on and off as if the mount were covered in grease and would not click into place... and the other two slid on easily but couldn't stay snug when you mounted them on a camera.

The two adapters that were even WORTH mentioning are the best... each have their pro's and con's.

Big_Is Adapter

+ VERY Cheap at $9 shipped
    + Most snug adapter (You can't put the adapter on with bare fingers... that's how tight it goes on)
    + Infinity
    + Focus marks are correct
    - Silver Brass
    - Edges are VERY rough... changing the iris on lenses with this adapter is somewhat dangerous

The X Vision Adapter

+ Black Brass (Looks excellent and makes lens look like it's got a Canon mount nativley)
    + Soft edges
    + Very nice finish... dare I say better than my Japanese made one
    + Fits tight with just a little bit of play... nothing forward and backward to throw off focus... only play between where the C/Y mechanism of the adapter locks onto the lens
    + Infinity and correct focus marks
    - More expensive than all the other Chinese adapters
    - Not readily available

So you guys can pick your poison. I opted to purchase 5 Black Brass adapters from The X Vision for my Contax Zeiss primes and they work fantastic. The silver adapters are the BEST fitting ones but they're butt ugly and are not properly finished... I want to make sure my AC still has fingers when he changes the Iris. I'm happy and saved a buttload of money from not having to purchase Leitax. Nothing beats having a permanent mount... I'd still like to someday switch them all to Leitax but until then these cheap adapters will do the job.
    Last edited by Shervin Mandgaryan; 01-11-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    ----------------------
    Shervin Mandgaryan

Cinematographer
    www.shervincine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shervin Mandgaryan View Post
    If you guys are looking into Canon mounting your Contax lenses and don't feel like dropping a wad of cash to Leitax each lens... look no further.

I bought 5 adapters from various sellers on eBay to test to see which is the best. I don't have a Leitax adapter to compare them with but I do have a $175 Kindal/Rayqual adapter from Japan which is king of the removable adapters to test them to. I did my own assessment based on how snug the adapters fit, if they focus to infinity, and if they don't throw off focus marks.

3 of the 5 adapters I bought were pure garbage. One would slip on and off as if the mount were covered in grease and would not click into place... and the other two slid on easily but couldn't stay snug when you mounted them on a camera.

The two adapters that were even WORTH mentioning are the best... each have their pro's and con's.

Big_Is Adapter

+ VERY Cheap at $9 shipped
    + Most snug adapter (You can't put the adapter on with bare fingers... that's how tight it goes on)
    + Infinity
    + Focus marks are correct
    - Silver Brass
    - Edges are VERY rough... changing the iris on lenses with this adapter is somewhat dangerous

The X Vision Adapter

+ Black Brass (Looks excellent and makes lens look like it's got a Canon mount nativley)
    + Soft edges
    + Very nice finish... dare I say better than my Japanese made one
    + Fits tight with just a little bit of play... nothing forward and backward to throw off focus... only play between where the C/Y mechanism of the adapter locks onto the lens
    + Infinity and correct focus marks
    - More expensive than all the other Chinese adapters
    - Not readily available

So you guys can pick your poison. I opted to purchase 5 Black Brass adapters from The X Vision for my Contax Zeiss primes and they work fantastic. The silver adapters are the BEST fitting ones but they're butt ugly and are not properly finished... I want to make sure my AC still has fingers when he changes the Iris. I'm happy and saved a buttload of money from not having to purchase Leitax. Nothing beats having a permanent mount... I'd still like to someday switch them all to Leitax but until then these cheap adapters will do the job.
    WOW. Nice work!
    Nick Morrison
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Senior Member Lliam Worthington's Avatar
    Cheers Shervin. I've bought quite a few types of the cheapos and can second the big. Know what you mean bout getting them on! But they've been rock solid after which was a relief after having a few other brands that were rubbish and thinking I would definitely have to pull the trigger on the some leitax. Re AC's fingers Hah! Funny. Not "that bad" though :))
    But I haven't tried an Xvision. Will definitely get a few in to try. Thanks.
    Scarlet X # 517