Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Red Dragon Info and Data Sheets

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Thanks everybody.

That's the idea Raphael. Feel free to share the info.

Greetings from Southern California!

changeLog 02.04.2013
    - added Red Dragon Anticipated Coverage Graphic

Based on what we know right now these are the image circles for the 6K formats.
    Phil you're making us all look bad -- damn you... Amazing job.

- E

Paul Ellington
    director/dp & writer

Sorry if my question may appear a bit amateur-ish biut I am a newbie in this forum. I have a question for the DRAGON. Everyone seem to enjoy talking about the tech specifications of the sensor and its image quality but I did not find anything on the weight distribution (very important in a run-and-gun environment) and how the body handle dust, cold, heat... have you got any info about these?

Also, is there any information about a timeframe for a release date ? I am going to be shooting a 50 mns doc about aviation for television this summer and I'd like to consider the DRAGON for the A cam. Does anyone know?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Beadle View Post
    There should be a "Tip Jar" on RU for Sir Phil Holland. What a treat he is!!
    Heh. A good handshake and hello is always welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Daly DP View Post
    Great job Phil, thanks for this. Academy anamorphic at last!! Bring. It. On :)
    Oh boy. I really can't wait actually. 2X anamorphic is going to be real fun. Really looking forward to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ellington View Post
    Phil you're making us all look bad -- damn you... Amazing job.
    Cheers mate. Dragon's going to make us all look good. I know you have Epics waiting for the upgrade :)

Quote Originally Posted by flean View Post
    Sorry if my question may appear a bit amateur-ish biut I am a newbie in this forum. I have a question for the DRAGON. Everyone seem to enjoy talking about the tech specifications of the sensor and its image quality but I did not find anything on the weight distribution (very important in a run-and-gun environment) and how the body handle dust, cold, heat... have you got any info about these?

Also, is there any information about a timeframe for a release date ? I am going to be shooting a 50 mns doc about aviation for television this summer and I'd like to consider the DRAGON for the A cam. Does anyone know?
    No worries Flean. We were all new once. Considering that the Red One, Epic, and Scarlet have been used as A, B, C, and D cam for a while now on many productions I don't think there's much to be concerned about. The Red system is modular and you can build the camera larger or smaller depending on your needs and how portable you're looking to be. I would look at Red's own "Clutch" shoulder mount if you're interested in run n' gun work. You can quickly deploy that rig on sticks or work with the camera on your shoulder all day without getting exhausted.

I've had Scarlet and Epic in the snow and desert, I've also had them uncomfortably close to explosions with no issue. There's a few Red shooters who have shot in far less people friendly deserts too. Other Red shooters have them in the sea (in proper housings), people commonly use them for aerial work, and more recently Red cameras have been at the edge of our atmosphere. I would describe them as "tough" cameras. They do well in the extremes. I always blow or suck dust out of the camera regularly when shooting in harsh environments. Mostly out of the fan intake.

On release date; it looks like Dragon will be landing April/May 2013. Epic M owners will be the first to be able to upgrade from the sounds of things. Dragon is going to become Red's flagship system after it's launched and it will be available to purchase in new Epics eventually. In the mean time, and if for some reason you can't get your hands on one by summer, Epic and Scarlet are here today. Both cameras use the same accessories, media, and displays that Dragon will use. We'll likely learn more information about Dragon's official release date around NAB 2013. We'll also likely see some other stuff Red's been cooking up in their kitchen too.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K S35 Helium "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Senior Member Nick Pasquariello's Avatar
    Adding to what Phil said, Flean, it's important to remember that Dragon is a new sensor that replaces the MX sensor that's already in the Epic body. It's not a new camera. It's not a new body. Not a new shape or size or weight. Just the piece of hardware that the photons are coming through the lens to hit is changing (and maybe some processing boards).

Same size, weight, shape, accessories, power needs, workflow . . . it's the same camera, only with a better sensor. So your questions don't apply only to Dragon, but to Epic/Scarlet. Still relevant questions, but it sounds like you may be limiting your scope to Dragon needlessly. Were you to buy an Epic today, you can certainly still upgrade to the Dragon sensor when it comes out, for the same cost as anyone else that will be upgrading from the MX sensor to the Dragon sensor.
    Icarus Rex Productions
    Scarlet #1798 "Ariadne"
    Local 600 DIT

Thank you so much Phil and Nick for the clarification. That's great!
    Independent filmmaker, comic book author.

9 days...
    Paul Harb - Director/Editor IATSE 700
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1179925/
    pharb@me.com
    Epic-M #01583 "Uncle Sam" and Epic-M #01597 "Unknown Soldier"

Nice read, while waiting for the NAB announcement...

To me the 6k stuff is quite amazing. Especially for us that shoot anamorphic. Not many people understands that allready at MX 5k ana you get a much larger optical sensor area and coverage with anamorpic lenses than with spherical lenses, even though the real sensor area is cropped in ana mode. As the ana sensor area should be considered as wide x2 in coverage and size, (not in pixel count)... So just to illustrate the optical size of 6k ana I made this little add on to Phils nice picture. Where the brown is the frame you acutally would see with anamorphics in 6k...

So even if you do have less pixels in ana mode you for sure have a bigger sensor than you got in FF mode.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

Banned
    I'm waiting for my dragon 6k

Again, great job on this Phil as it is extremely useful to every one with questions about Dragon, one thing since it is a sticky, you might want to update it with current info, especially the Frame Rate which we now know is 100 at it's maximum instead of 80+.
    Philanthropist | Filmmaker | Photographer

On it Ketch. I'll update and tidy up some info tomorrow when I'm back in LA.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K S35 Helium "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon