Thread: Make Up (10', 2011)

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Make Up (10', 2011) 
    Shot on Red One MX, mostly tungsten, CC with AE and Colorista and, recently, a final pass with Filmconvert.

What lenses did you use and was there any filtration to compensate for the tungsten light? Is the grain profile from FilmConvert, or did you tweak it somehow (it seems pretty good even under web compression).

I'd be interested to see a before/after still (.r3d?) if possible.

We used master primes and no filtration. Grain is default from Filmconvert. I'll upload r3d's tomorrow.

I just watched it again; the look is really good (audio is also spot on too). Awesome stuff.

Thanks a lot, Mike. Vimeo was down yesterday for like 9 hours. Now's up again.

BTW, would you like me to upload any R3D in particular?

I would say your favourite shot and your least favourite (from a post standpoint -- e.g. a shot that was the most difficult to get the look you wanted.) I basically just want to get an idea of what you started with. Thanks.

Ok, selecting shots was kind of difficult, so here are just a bunch of frames that I like and their corresponding R3D's. I would love to see takes on them. By the way, now you can download the H264 from the Vimeo link.

The R3D's are here:

http://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/...2132148/041890

So Alex wanted to see what I could do with his R3Ds. Below is the result.

Having no instructions to go on, I'm not sure if you'll even like this look Alex?!

Feedback from everyone welcome. I'm happy to have another go at grading these and it might be interesting to see if I can get a completely different look working.

I'll put up 1080p grabs, along with a blog post, sometime tomorrow morning...

Director / Cinematographer / Colourist
    juanmelara.com.au

twitter.com/JuanDMelara

That's plain amazing.

I love the general look and the way you treat the skins, so detailed and textured. It also has a nice vintage feeling, almost like a three strip color process.

My only notes would come from some narrative ideas and personal preferences: I imagined that, with curtains closed, the bed would be lit with a soft warm becoming light. It's fine that the nurse's uniform and the wall behind her tend to blue but I'd prefer the cushion and the woman's gown to be warmer in color. The same goes for the walls at the pension's hall, which I imagined as a dark hole with almost no natural light in it.

But that's it. You have an impeccable taste and I'm a big fan of your blog. Thanks for taking the time to play with the R3D's.

Thanks Alex.

The warm light over the bed actually makes a lot of sense. I'm pretty sure it was actually captured like that in camera, but I changed the white balance thinking that the warm light wasn't the intent. Same thing goes for the walls in the hall. I brought them up from how they were captured in camera, thinking it would be best to show the details in the shadows. In reality the way you describe it actually fits the story better! Thanks for the feedback...

Below is a breakdown of all the grades. And for anyone interested there is a bit more info on these grades on my blog.

Director / Cinematographer / Colourist
    juanmelara.com.au

twitter.com/JuanDMelara