Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Why... $19k price tag...
    DP/Editor
    Scarlet-X

www.patrickwieland.net

Why not, just for fun of it....;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
    Zeiss lens is ridiculous for the price when it's just a rehoused stills lens. Thats what I mean by ridiculous.
    The Zeiss is not a rehoused stills lens. For the quality of the lens and the focal length/ speed / size . It's very good value.
    EPIC DRAGON / RED MX / ALEXA .

"If you want to be free just be free, do not ask anyone.
    You must have a hypothesis of your own fate and follow it without submitting yourself and by ignoring the circumstances". Andrei Tarkovsky.

The zeiss should not have zoom focus shift issues that still zooms tend to have. At least for that price it shouldn't have ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Horwell View Post
    The Zeiss is not a rehoused stills lens. For the quality of the lens and the focal length/ speed / size . It's very good value.
    So your telling me its not this lens rehoused? Pretty certain it is.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B000D..._p_photo_g_2_1

Senior Member Shervin Mandgaryan's Avatar
    So your telling me its not this lens rehoused? Pretty certain it is.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B000D..._p_photo_g_2_1
    You're comparing a $20,000 cine lens made by Zeiss to a consumer grade zoom made by Minolta? And this amazon link is your proof?
    ----------------------
    Shervin Mandgaryan

Cinematographer
    www.shervincine.com

You don't have to be a genius to figure that after rehousing the ZFs- ZE lenses and calling them CPs -and with the commercial success it was they went the same route for the zoom. And ZFs used to be called Cosinas. not that here is anything wrong with either-in fact the commercial success speaks for itself.
    I'm sure 24-70 is next. Let's just be honest here and call spade the spade...;)
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

I'm sure 24-70 is next
    I am Confused by the worst predication ever;-) They have already shown the 28-80!! And even a quick look at it will show you it is not a simple rehouse...

Jacek if I didn't know better I might think you had a commercial interest in us not buying traditional PL glass? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Shervin Mandgaryan View Post
    You're comparing a $20,000 cine lens made by Zeiss to a consumer grade zoom made by Minolta? And this amazon link is your proof?
    Not proof Shervin. It's a zeiss glass lens, is 70-200, and Zeiss has proven their CP line by rehousing ZF/ZE lenses and calling them cinema lenses. The fact that they are calling it a Compact Zoom mens it's most likely a rehoused lens... Plus the new Compact Zoom is the same shape and size as this lens and also covers Full Frame. Do a little research yourself...

http://www.abelcine.com/store/Zeiss-...70-200mm-T2.9/

Senior Member Shervin Mandgaryan's Avatar
    Not proof Shervin. It's a zeiss glass lens, is 70-200, and Zeiss has proven their CP line by rehousing ZF/ZE lenses and calling them cinema lenses. The fact that they are calling it a Compact Zoom mens it's most likely a rehoused lens... Plus the new Compact Zoom is the same shape and size as this lens and also covers Full Frame. Do a little research yourself...
    Sorry, posting up a rendering of a Zeiss lens from photorumours in 2009 isn't your proof. Neither is the assumption of Zeiss's track record of rehousing ZE/ZF glass to CP any proof either... since this new zoom is actually not part of that lineup.

I'm pretty sure I did my research... and the maker of that zoom Sony makes is Minolta (They make all the glass of the Alpha series that isn't made by Carl Zeiss). This doesn't validate that Zeiss's offering is stills glass...
    ----------------------
    Shervin Mandgaryan

Cinematographer
    www.shervincine.com