Thread: New Zeiss 55mm f1.4

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    I used to shoot model headshots on a Contax RTS with the 85mm f1.4. Pretty much required a #1 Softar for most models' skin. Only thing stopping that from being about as good a lens as I ever used was the super-thin focus ring that would distort and bind if you gripped it too hard.
    Cheers
    Bettsy

According to a new blog post from Zeiss shipping will start at the end of this year.

http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/?p=4190
    Maik Mueller
    Cinematographer & Photographer - http://www.magic-double-m.de

Scarlet-X #1388

Zeiss Otus 55/1.4 85/1.4 | Canon 24/1.4IIL 50/1.2L 85/1.2IIL 100/2.8LIS | 16-35/4.0LIS 24-105/4.0LIS 70-200/2.8IILIS | Sigma 35/1.4Art 50/1.4Art
    | 18-35/1.8Art

There is no where near as much info on this family of lenses as I'd like. Super intriguing, does anyone know if it's only the Nikon mount version that has manual iris?

Has anyone here tried this Distagon 55mm f/1.4 lens?
    Any test photos to see and compare with other lenses?
    "Don't under-estimate the amateur photographer. The latest HW & SW empower him to achieve results just as good as yours".
    Nothing beats a Master Prime!
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, 24GB RAM, i5-3570K, Intel 520 120GB SSD - Win7 Pro SP1 x64, Dell U2713H 27" 10bit @ 2560x1440@60Hz (via miniDP).

This should be a very good lens, it reminds me of the Hasselblad days...

KETCH ROSSiF i l m m a k e r
    RED EPIC #00008 aka DragonM8

Looks like what Matt Duclos was writing about a few weeks ago:

http://matthewduclos.wordpress.com

Did anyone see this one at IBC? :)
    Maik Mueller
    Cinematographer & Photographer - http://www.magic-double-m.de

Scarlet-X #1388

Zeiss Otus 55/1.4 85/1.4 | Canon 24/1.4IIL 50/1.2L 85/1.2IIL 100/2.8LIS | 16-35/4.0LIS 24-105/4.0LIS 70-200/2.8IILIS | Sigma 35/1.4Art 50/1.4Art
    | 18-35/1.8Art

I saw a prototype-almost-production model 55ZF1.4 on the IBC.. very long throw, pinsharp, no discernable CA.. Zeiss-pro-style yellow markings.. lovely! made some photo's but had to promise not to post them, sorry guys.. but worth the wait if you're already interested in buying the zf.2 50mm
    ___
    Joost Kelderman
    www.Invite-AV.nl
    The Netherlands

Hehe yes I saw it at IBC ... I dragged David and Joost there because this thing is insane! And no, I am not exaggerating.

The 1.4 has such beautiful highlights - as Joost mentioned: no discernible CA and his thing is pin sharp. We were shown some prints... They look like middle format prints. Tack sharp, deep blacks and super fine lines. Wasn't allowed to record/ shoot with it but what I could see through the zoom in on the DSLR, this lens is sick! Looking through the view finder feels like having a grey layer removed from it.

Then lens looked exactly like in the pictures Ketch posted - sans hood.

It's got a nice heft to it. Every other 50mm still feels like a child's toy next to it. This thing feels like a pro cine lens. I kid you not! as does the focus pull.

Some Zeiss bird tweeted in my ear, that the Zeiss lens service also de-clicks your lenses, which seemingly could be done with the 55 as well from them... So I guess we would have to stay tuned, the aperture is pretty close to the mount, but with a RED this should still work.

End of October we all will know what the new series will be called - along with all the other information.

The next 2 lenses will be announced between October and beginning of next year with availability planned for end of 2014.
    2 more lenses (a wide and a tele) seem to be in planning but no info on if these will become real. Probably also depends on the interest in these.

EDIT: the yellow markings also tell you a lot. They are trying to make sure this will be recognized as a pro lens in the master prime category :)
    The focus scale doesn't have any plexi cover on top either, which makes it look even more like a cine lens. The Zeiss guy asked me what I thought about it and if it would make me worry about dust inside the lens. When I said that it reminds me of cine lenses and that I wouldn't worry because I'd believe the lens is sealed, he smiled ... guess I gave the correct answer ;)

SCARLET-X "Mathilda"

"Life is full of obstacles. They never end. The ones that get past them have the richest life."
    jim jannard

"if your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough."
    robert capa

Thank you Patrick, have been waiting for a bit more info on this line of lenses. Bring on the end of October! Was that aperture ring you were talking about on a Canon mount?