Thread: Double Data the new Copy Software

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Double Data the new Copy Software 
    Has anyone used the new Double Data Software that replaces R3D Data Manager? I am downloading a trial version as I write. Apparently it addresses some of the copy speed issues of the original?
    Tom Gleeson

Hi Tom,
    Any thoughts on your experience with double data? Just curious to hear what your impressions were. Thanks.

I have only managed to use it on one job and transfer speed looked good. On my Retina MacBook Pro 15" I was getting about 115MB transfer speed copying via the Finder and with Data Doubler. So no slow down although there is an extra (short) time with Data Doubler where it I assume it is doing its verification? The programme did hang up a few times which is not good so had to restart. This is not so good but need to dedicate some time to it to reliably check it out but it seems to be on the right track
    Tom Gleeson

Ive still not had the downtime to check it out, so have still been using RDM and ADM on commercial jobs. Im sure its just as rock solid though. Yes, it will likely take longer than a finder copy because it is using checksum verification. People may not feel the need for doing so, but believe me, keeping the copy logs has got more than one angry producer off my back when a post house tries to blame me for lost material!
    EPIC-X #7166
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates

The upgrade from R3D Data Manager was only $12.

I like their pricing structure where you buy the modules you need. And a good looking website doesn't hurt either :)

I've tried using it with R3D footage, but it hangs fairly often at around 50% on Mac OSX Lion. I've tried it on 3 different macs with the same results. My DIT also found that it was significantly slower copying and verifying Alexa files compared to Shotput Pro, which is the exact opposite when comparing R3D Data Manager and Shotput Pro. Sticking to R3D Data Manager until I get a chance to resolve this with NightSky.
    Russell Campbell
    Epic Dragons, RED One MX
    www.oceansenseproductions.com

I've had the exact same problem as Russell. about 1/2 to 3/4 through the percentage doesn't progress and the ETA actually consistently becomes longer. have messaged Night Sky and it seems like it may be a common problem so hopefully there is a resolution.

what about opensource tools like freefilesync. It provides both the sync/backup/mirror options as well as a compare in which it does a binary level file comparison. And it come in OSX Windows & Linux flavors.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Allemann View Post
    I've had the exact same problem as Russell. about 1/2 to 3/4 through the percentage doesn't progress and the ETA actually consistently becomes longer.
    I experienced this, but only when I had 'Verify in Pairs' enabled. My thought is that the multithreading was the issue because I wasn't using a RAID and the stall happened after the halfway point in the process (based on the original ETA). Since the checksum verification happens after the data copy this would make sense.
    Mike Lary
    Director of Technology, DIGITAL FACTORY, Seoul
    Digital Revolution Since 2009
    Color Correction/Digital Workflow/Red Camera Rental
    www.DigitalFactory.kr

Double Data is faster than R3DM, but occasionally hangs, after transferring files, while its doing a verification. Happens when using pairs of drives or Raid5 tower.