Thread: Apple push to win back pro editors

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Apple push to win back pro editors 
    http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1.../p2p-75074419/

I was happy to read this, hopefully it means good news for the Mac Pro as well

A day late and a dollar short.
    A Peter Strietmann
    plaidass1@mac.com
    [url]https://peterstrietmann.com

"Read or bleed people, learn or burn."

I'm content with the direction fcpx is heading. It's far more mature than the original FCP ever was. Yes it needs messaging but I cannot edit the old way anymore. I learned to embrace it, and now I can't even bare to open premiere files. I don't want this to be another nauseating "I hate everything apple" thread again.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Bob, I feel the same way as you; there's no turning back for me.

Agreed Bob. I recently used it on smaller projects and it has some really great things going for it. I think one can edit really fast with it

Bob, I'm editing a commercial right now on x with basic compositing. Its been a nightmare. The "main storyline" thing is really annoying. For example, I'm making this commercial with some old archive footage and am figuring out the "feel" of it. "Select all" doesn't seem to work and shift click doesn't work with certai clips that have a "blac k outline thing" connecting them together. No tracks means I'm struggling to have precise control of my edit, and not having the possibility to create separate tracks like in every other editor is a big, big disappointment. But its incredibly fast, specially for 4k 5k...
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Sergio, I was frustrated at first too and I think it's because we expect it to work a certain way. It's like learning to ride a bike again, when you feel," why on earth should I learn again when it was fin the first time". It's worth the time investment to learn it. It was for me anyway. Good luck man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
    Bob, I'm editing a commercial right now on x with basic compositing. Its been a nightmare. The "main storyline" thing is really annoying. For example, I'm making this commercial with some old archive footage and am figuring out the "feel" of it. "Select all" doesn't seem to work and shift click doesn't work with certai clips that have a "blac k outline thing" connecting them together. No tracks means I'm struggling to have precise control of my edit, and not having the possibility to create separate tracks like in every other editor is a big, big disappointment. But its incredibly fast, specially for 4k 5k...

10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

it may sound stupid but I tried iMovie for a very small project recently and for the money you pay for it (like 20-25 Dollar?) it's a pretty good app (stuff is "small" when it comes to the footprint and you're limited a bit but it's fine for all the "basics")!
    Since FCPX borrowed many stuff from iMovie I can see where this is going and I think with some "polishing" it will end up a a really good solution at some point. You have to learn "new" ways of editing tho...

10.0.8 was just released as well right now. Also some new updates to prores codecs it seems

Yup:

What's New in Version 10.0.8

- Support for Sony XAVC codec up to 4K resolution
    - Option to display ProRes Log C files from ARRI ALEXA cameras with standard Rec. 709 color and contrast levels
    - Resolves an issue where some third-party effects generated green frames during render
    - Resolves performance issues that could occur with certain titles and effects
    - Time reversed clips render in the background
    - Ability to use key commands to adjust Clip Appearance settings in the timeline
    - Ability to view reel number metadata located in the timecode track of video files
    - Mono audio files in a surround project export with correct volume levels
    - Drop zones no longer reset to the first frame of video after application restart
    - Fixes a performance issue which resulted from selecting multiple ranges on a single clip
    - Fixes an issue where the Play Around function did not work properly on certain clips when viewed through external video devices

Quote Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge View Post
    10.0.8 was just released as well right now. Also some new updates to prores codecs it seems

10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram