Thread: Apple push to win back pro editors

Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruffo New View Post
    I think it's sad to be based on turn-around and speed to market - you didn't even mention quality, refinement of vision, perfection - all the things that make we want to go to work in the morning. Just speed. I'm glad I don't work where you work.
    I work for the creative team for the Bay Area's largest dealership group. Between the three of us who work in the video department, we produce over 3,000 videos per year. About 75% of them are customer testimonials, people who actually loved buying a car so much they wanted to get on camera and talk about it. They're not very fancy, but they help us get 1.1M video views per year. In the corporate world, it's all about VSEO, and having thousands of videos online certainly helps in that regard.

We also advertise on broadcast television for the local SF Bay Area market, so we have about 2 to 4 "legit" TV spots to do, per month, on top of our usual workload of web content. Of course there is nothing but the highest standards of quality for our work, but it's not like we have weeks to spend editing these videos. FCPX's automation tools help us sort through and edit the 25 terabytes of footage we shoot every year. So maybe I'm not a film professional. I dont work on big budget music videos. But my company uses FCPX and I don't mind it. It works. The job pays my student loans. That's professional enough for me. Be glad you don't work where I work, because we LOVE Final Cut PRO X.

PS. Of course you're not going to find vendors selling hackintoshes. They are HACKintoshes after all...
    @ajt4k

ajt4k.com

REDucated June 2012

Scarlet-X #2098
    Raven #61

CR Entertainment Technician, Video
    DLR Technical Services
    TWDC, Inc.

Was apple even at NAB?
    J.H.C Epic-X #03520 (Sherry Baby)
    http://Coleman-Media.com

Officially, they haven't been there for years: http://www.t-gaap.com/2013/4/12/appl...d#.UW9GJ7-Ab8s

But supposedly the engineers working on the new mac pro and FCPX 10.1 were there meeting with "key people in the industry"... whatever that means.
    @ajt4k

ajt4k.com

REDucated June 2012

Scarlet-X #2098
    Raven #61

CR Entertainment Technician, Video
    DLR Technical Services
    TWDC, Inc.

Los Angeles, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil W. Smith View Post
    Technically, you're correct Mike ... the CG 276 takes a 4K x 2K signal of 4096 x 2160 and 3840 x 2160 resolutions at up to 30 frames/second via the DisplayPort input and then downscales it to its native resolution of 2560 x 1440. ... at the moment it's the most cost-effective way ($2700) to get a 10 bit color accurate monitor with 4K signal input ... it's great to be able to grade 5K EPIC footage at that resolution in an accurate 10 bit color space.

And actually EIZO does have a 4K monitor - the RX840 is a true 8 Megapixel Super-High-Resolution Display ... it has a 36 inch screen size and is capable of displaying 8 megapixels - 4096 x 2160 native resolution ... it's a beautiful display, weighs a ton and costs a little bit more than the CG 276 :-(

The RX840 only runs under Windows at the moment (Mac driver issue) so we'll be demoing it running DaVinci Resolve on Windows ... at NAB, we had a SuperMicro PC with three NVIDIA TITANS in a PCIe expansion chassis color correcting 4K DPX files in real time ... now, that's a beast of a grading machine!

Neil
    Well I stand corrected on Eizo not having a 4K monitor. Thanks for letting me know about that. However, I think it's important to note that it's part of their medical series and not a color grading monitor like their ColorEdge series that has the built-in 16-bit 3D LUT and Color Navigator software for proper calibration. But I do look forward to them bringing that panel over to the ColorEdge series. I'm sure the prices and weight will come down in time.

I recommend we start a new thread that focuses entirely on information as it pertains to using FCP X. Perhaps the first few posts can have space for specific topics such as:

- Optimal configurations
    - Editing tips and techniques
    - RED Workflow
    - Training resources

Even if it's a place to gather links, seems like it would be useful. And if someone is willing to manage it, maybe they can organize the information from subsequent posts that come through into the topic posts. Or maybe there's a better space to do that than Reduser, but seems to me it would be a whole lot more useful for those who are trying to get into it and see if it might work for them. I'm considering it for some future projects that might be able to take advantage of some of the things it seems to do very well.

Very easy to turn this into a positive exercise that helps not only those who are interested in experimenting with FCP X but also those who may not have had a chance to try it since their first impressions at the beginning. It's all about helping each other get better. Right?
    Steve Sherrick

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    I recommend we start a new thread that focuses entirely on information as it pertains to using FCP X. Perhaps the first few posts can have space for specific topics such as:

- Optimal configurations
    - RED Workflow
    - Training resources

Even if it's a place to gather links, seems like it would be useful. And if someone is willing to manage it, maybe they can organize the information from subsequent posts that come through into the topic posts. Or maybe there's a better space to do that than Reduser, but seems to me it would be a whole lot more useful for those who are trying to get into it and see if it might work for them. I'm considering it for some future projects that might be able to take advantage of some of the things it seems to do very well.

Very easy to turn this into a positive exercise that helps not only those who are interested in experimenting with FCP X but also those who may not have had a chance to try it since their first impressions at the beginning. It's all about helping each other get better. Right?
    Thank you, Steve ... as ever the calm Voice of Reason.

Sam Mestman already has a thread going in the Workflow Folder which includes links to his three in-depth articles on FCP X workflow ... might be a good place to continue the discussion ... even the Apple guys who came to our NAB booth learned a thing or two about how to use FCP X in a 4K finishing pipeline:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...nd-at-NAB-too)

Also, I have to say, there's only one person sensible enough to keep the thread on track ... Mr. Sherrick - you da man!

Neil
    Neil Smith
    CEO
    LumaForge
    high performance workflow
    www.lumaforge.com
    LA. CA. USA
    323 850 3550
    See us at NAB 2014 - AMD Booth #SL10405

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post

- Optimal configurations
    - RED Workflow
    - Training resources

I agree with this. Good to hear the engineers where at NAB. I never was a big fan of keyboard shortcuts, but seems like X swears by them.
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Thank you, Steve ... as ever the calm Voice of Reason.

Sam Mestman already has a thread going in the Workflow Folder which includes links to his three in-depth articles on FCP X workflow ... might be a good place to continue the discussion ... even the Apple guys who came to our NAB booth learned a thing or two about how to use FCP X in a 4K finishing pipeline:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...nd-at-NAB-too)

Also, I have to say, there's only one person sensible enough to keep the thread on track ... Mr. Sherrick - you da man!

Neil
    Thanks for the link Neil. That's definitely the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Always amazed that people are able to take time out of their busy schedules to provide resources like this.

Between the Ripple training, Lynda.com, and Sam's stuff there's certainly a nice set of learning tools out there to get everybody up to speed. I just need more hours in the day. :-)
    Steve Sherrick

Ian, if you can rustle up forty editors and get them off their horses and into a barn with a laptop each we'll head up North and give you guys a demo :-)
    Only thirty-eight Montanans to go :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruffo New View Post
    Actually the figure is more like 85% of seats in Europe, and 95% in the USA/Canada. Most people have zero interest in low-budget indies. In home video, (VOD, blu-ray) there is more indy interest, but only in genre fiilms with budgets of 1 million or more - which are not one-man band affairs either. The editor and the colorist are most often not the same person.

You're talking about no-budget long-tail doco shows or whatever - these are an awful way to make a living.
    Robert - the stats I posted are out of context here and you have contributed to a complete misrepresentation. I believe I said in an earlier thread - if not I'll be clear here - that 85% of the seats in theaters (in the US) go UNFILLED. On an annual basis, theaters are mostly EMPTY. Yes, its true that most of the seats that are filled are filled by Hollywood films, but that is little comfort to the theater owner who has pretty much topped out with that category; more Hollywood films aren't necessarily going to fill those empty seats.

So my point is that there is huge opportunity for other types of films to make their way into theatrical showings. If you don't think offerings like Odemax will contribute to that, I believe you will be mistaken.

Personally, I have absolutely no interest (zero, nada, zilch, zip) in working on a Hollywood feature. And, Hollywood features can only absorb how many professionals? A few thousand? Your disdain for webisodes and online distribution aside, there are a lot of emerging opportunities for smaller crews to produce great films. It's happening all around you. That represents the most exciting opportunity to me. So, talented generalists with powerful tools that leverage their capabilities will have a place at the table.

BTW - "indie" doesn't have to mean "no budget" either. There are changes afoot in financing, marketing and delivery of digital content. Tune in.

EDIT: And, believe it or not, there are film crew sizes bigger then "one man bands" but still smaller than 100 person Hollywood crews. Will wonders never cease?!
    Last edited by Terry VerHaar; 04-20-2013 at 01:57 PM.