Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Sony's lawsuits against RED

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 127
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #61  
    Red Leader Jannard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,119
    Seems like someone is nervous... it just isn't me.

    Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

    "Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

    We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #62  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Seems like someone is nervous... it just isn't me.

    Jim
    Now that's encouraging!
    One camera is a shoot... two or more is a production...
    Chrysalis... shooting 2015
    L.C. (Elsie) N., dba nelloProductions, LLC
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #63  
    Senior Member Dustin Shepard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Seems like someone is nervous... it just isn't me.

    Jim

    Like a BOSS
    www.youtube.com/eldente
    Red Epic X #04501
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #64 Lawyers are a necessary evil these days, but the Engineers are the stars 
    Senior Member Blair S. Paulsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,340
    Hopefully the lawsuits will remain a sideshow and the real battle for the hearts, and wallets, of camera folk will be fought over better design and technology.

    Spectacular image quality, clever and ergonomic design, smart compression, bulletproof build quality, lots of customizability under the hood but key controls at your fingertips, fast media readers, efficient and widely supported post path, high resolution viewfinders, low power consumption, interfaces well with industry standard aks/audio/lens data, robust metadata support, etc..............

    My sincere hope is that digital cinema does not follow the regrettable example of some other industries where companies shy away from great tech due to NIH (not invented here). Develop great tech, license other people's tech when it makes sense, get great products to market at a great price and Bob's your uncle.

    Cheers - #19
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #65  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Hopefully the lawsuits will remain a sideshow and the real battle for the hearts, and wallets, of camera folk will be fought over better design and technology.

    Spectacular image quality, clever and ergonomic design, smart compression, bulletproof build quality, lots of customizability under the hood but key controls at your fingertips, fast media readers, efficient and widely supported post path, high resolution viewfinders, low power consumption, interfaces well with industry standard aks/audio/lens data, robust metadata support, etc..............

    My sincere hope is that digital cinema does not follow the regrettable example of some other industries where companies shy away from great tech due to NIH (not invented here). Develop great tech, license other people's tech when it makes sense, get great products to market at a great price and Bob's your uncle.

    Cheers - #19
    I seldom disagree with what you post Blair, but I'm going to make an exception to the tenor of what you said. That is, I think it is good to have conflict between companies. For a company like RED, it galvanizes the whole organization to come together to defend itself against an interloper, and for a company as large as SONY, it kick starts their camera division to work harder to overcome the defensive attack initiated by RED. A conflict-free world will be a world of robots. As for companies shying away from pushing the envelope, well, they will be eaten up by someone who will, if they are viable as a company. Co-operation has its place, but so, at times does being bold.
    One camera is a shoot... two or more is a production...
    Chrysalis... shooting 2015
    L.C. (Elsie) N., dba nelloProductions, LLC
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #66  
    Senior Member Blair S. Paulsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,340
    Fair enough Elsie, I get your point.

    I would posit there is a logical place in the continuum between complacency and all out war. In any case (sic), as Tim Eaton pointed out, Jim and the RedTeam have been the one's willing to push the envelope and make the price/performance ratio of pro cameras dramatically better. There wouldn't be a Sony F55 on the market for $35K in 2013 if there was no RED - there would be a F35 for $200K. Just sayin'

    Cheers - #19
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Seems like someone is nervous... it just isn't me.

    Jim
    No, it doesn't sound like someone is nervous. It was pretty much given that Sony's legal team would go through all their patents, find anything that they think are being violated by Red, and file a counter lawsuit. It's a standard procedure.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #68  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Fair enough Elsie, I get your point.

    I would posit there is a logical place in the continuum between complacency and all out war....

    Cheers - #19
    If I may take the liberty of saying that another way... licensing. I fully support that kind of co-operation.
    One camera is a shoot... two or more is a production...
    Chrysalis... shooting 2015
    L.C. (Elsie) N., dba nelloProductions, LLC
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    I think it is good to have conflict between companies. For a company like RED, it galvanizes the whole organization to come together to defend itself against an interloper, and for a company as large as SONY, it kick starts their camera division to work harder to overcome the defensive attack initiated by RED. A conflict-free world will be a world of robots. As for companies shying away from pushing the envelope, well, they will be eaten up by someone who will, if they are viable as a company. Co-operation has its place, but so, at times does being bold.
    Makes sense in one context.

    In the other, every gain brings an equivalent loss.
    "Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

    "L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #70  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    Makes sense in one context.

    In the other, every gain brings an equivalent loss.
    Unless both companies are stirred to greater things? '-)

    By that I mean, what if during the process of defending their patents, each company stumbled upon a better way of doing what they were defending? Then you have two net gains.
    One camera is a shoot... two or more is a production...
    Chrysalis... shooting 2015
    L.C. (Elsie) N., dba nelloProductions, LLC
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts