Thread: Scarlet owners and their reactions this week

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Scarlet owners and their reactions this week 

option 1 or option 2
    Last edited by Elan Gunos; 04-09-2013 at 01:14 AM.

Yup I can see that!

I find the Scarlet Firmware update a bit well not that exciting.

YES, YES ,YES ....
    Same reactions after Blackmagic 4K news ...
    4k SDI ( 6G-SDI ) output !!!!!!
    Blackmagic want kill all manufacturer of digital camera...

Anyway frame rate of Scarlet has identical Blackmagic 4K ( $3995 minus DaVinci - You can resell dongle for $795 in same day ) = $3200 and very cheap digital mags ( ordinary SSD ) .
    No need to buy Pro LCD ( $1600 )
    No need to buy Red Mags 512 ( $3900 )
    No need to buy Red Rocket ( $4750 )

We will buy 10 pcs of these cameras for hard actions shooting ...

absolutely. but i will go with epic x - rental prices and options for an epic are just so much better over here - then next year do the dragon update maybe - not that excited about dragon actually do not need 6k ever just adds too much data overhead - less noise and better dr is neat but not a gamechanger. having highframe rates and full sensor for me is. and 5k is enough for true 4k. maybe I make enough in rentals to go dragon sooner maybe I go never dragon as epic was always the cam I wanted without any buts and ifs.

Quote Originally Posted by Malk Kamalko View Post
    YES, YES ,YES ....
    Same reactions after Blackmagic 4K news ...
    4k SDI ( 6G-SDI ) output !!!!!!
    Blackmagic want kill all manufacturer of digital camera...

Anyway frame rate of Scarlet has identical Blackmagic 4K ( $3995 minus DaVinci - You can resell dongle for $795 in same day ) = $3200 and very cheap digital mags ( ordinary SSD ) .
    No need to buy Pro LCD ( $1600 )
    No need to buy Red Mags 512 ( $3900 )
    No need to buy Red Rocket ( $4750 )

We will buy 10 pcs of these cameras for hard actions shooting ...
    6G-SDI sounds cool, but do you think it makes a bit of difference to 90% of the people buying the camera?

It's an aggressive move, but hardly a death blow to anyone. Canon will likely be hardest hit by the 2 new BMCCs.

The Resolve dongle normally goes for around $500 to $600 and if you sell it you can only use Resolve Lite with your 4k footage. Selling your dongle made more sense when the BMCC was a 2.5k camera.

The cheaper media is nice, but I would be concerned about how reliable off the shelf SSDs end up being.

I would rather have a RED's LCD than the onboard monitor that comes with the BMCC. At least you can tilt and reposition it...

You don't need a $3900 512gb Red Mag to use a Scarlet. That's absurd.

You don't need a Rocket either. I don't have one.

There are a lot of accessories you will need to actually be able to use your camera in a production environment. Cage, Battery Plate, Batteries, etc. Even then it's still going to get beat up on set. RED cameras are built like tanks. This BMCC is built like a Fisher Price toy.

I'm really curious how the footage is going to look from this new camera. I get the impression they skimped on the sensor to get the price down. We shall see.

All that said...

I like what Black Magic is doing. When I was a kid I started making films with a VHS camera and edited with 2 VCRs connected together. I couldn't have even dreamed about having access to anywhere near the level of gear that's available now at a cheap price. It's a great time to be a filmmaker. There were huge barriers to entry for someone trying to get in the business. Those barriers are coming down one-by-one and soon we'll be left with one... Talent. That excites me.
    Twitter: @hybridvigorfilm

Hybrid Vigor is a 100% crowdfunded feature film.
    We've been backed over 1,900 times by people from 44 countries.

Yes, we're hesitating too between selling our Scarlet kit to buy a Blackmagic 4K one instead, or keeping it and seeing it losing quickly its value. Unless Red announces a 6K resolution for Scarlet Dragon, but it looks like it will be "only" 5K, almost $10K for 1K more of resolution seems a little bit scaring for low-buget owners ;-)

By the way, is the 4K Blackmagic camera running silently ?

Kristin

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Stewart View Post
    Yes, we're hesitating too between selling our Scarlet kit to buy a Blackmagic 4K one instead, or keeping it and seeing it losing quickly its value. Unless Red announces a 6K resolution for Scarlet Dragon, but it looks like it will be "only" 5K, almost $10K for 1K more of resolution seems a little bit scaring for low-buget owners ;-)

By the way, is the 4K Blackmagic camera running silently ?

Kristin
    It's not only 1k, it's awesome DR, better iso, better colors, more frame rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Malk Kamalko View Post
    The BMD 4K production camera only comes with a DaVinci Lite installation disc. You're not getting a dongle.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon J.F. View Post

I like what Black Magic is doing. When I was a kid I started making films with a VHS camera and edited with 2 VCRs connected together. I couldn't have even dreamed about having access to anywhere near the level of gear that's available now at a cheap price. It's a great time to be a filmmaker. There were huge barriers to entry for someone trying to get in the business. Those barriers are coming down one-by-one and soon we'll be left with one... Talent. That excites me.
    Me too! Here here!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaakko Rinne View Post
    The BMD 4K production camera only comes with a DaVinci Lite installation disc. You're not getting a dongle.
    From BMD website:

Includes sun shield, power supply, carry strap, UltraScope waveform monitoring software and a full version of DaVinci Resolve software for Mac OS X and Windows.
    http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/prod...ra4k/techspecs
    Twitter: @hybridvigorfilm

Hybrid Vigor is a 100% crowdfunded feature film.
    We've been backed over 1,900 times by people from 44 countries.