Thread: 6G-SDI

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 6G-SDI 
    Has anybody seen or heard anything about whether the EPIC Brain or the Pro I/O Module might be upgradable to support the 6G-SDI standard that Blackmagic has jumped on this year? I'd have to imagine that eventually that's going to be the go-to standard for on-set 4K monitoring.

That said, I have yet to hear about anyone announcing a 4K 6G-SDI production monitor. Curiously, the new Panasonic 4K display doesn't seem to use it... Can anyone at NAB confirm that?

+1

That along with hdmi 1.4 playout as well, now that inexpensive 4k screens are now available.
    - Scarlet 996 -

+ 1111111111111111111111111111111111111

Please add this option when we go for the upgrade! Future proof technology!
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Scholle View Post
    Has anybody seen or heard anything about whether the EPIC Brain or the Pro I/O Module might be upgradable to support the 6G-SDI standard that Blackmagic has jumped on this year? I'd have to imagine that eventually that's going to be the go-to standard for on-set 4K monitoring.
    There is no "standard," at least not at this point. Blackmagic came up with something and is trying to force it as a de facto "standard" so that others will adopt it. Standards are set by standards setting bodies, such as SMPTE in the US, or ITU in Europe. When a manufacturer comes up with something and calls it a "standard" it doesn't make it so. While I applaud Blackmagic for their efforts (and their cojones in putting this into actual products when nobody else is using it), time will tell if other companies adopt this, something similar, or nothing. Hopefully it is presented for consideration as a standard in the near future because I do think it's a pretty good approach.

Since there are no competitors at the moment, BMD's 6G-SDI is the de-facto standard. ;-)
    It at least gives other manufacturers something to sell while the standards bodies spend another year or two finalizing a standard.

I would love the capability to do 4K muti-camera events
    - Scarlet 996 -

And be able to have UHD out of the (only) sdi to record some 4K "proxy" (when there is a field recorder)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd T View Post
    Since there are no competitors at the moment, BMD's 6G-SDI is the de-facto standard. ;-)
    It at least gives other manufacturers something to sell while the standards bodies spend another year or two finalizing a standard.
    While that's true, it should not be overlooked that Blackmagic tried for the last 2 years to make optical fiber a video "standard." I don't know of very many facilities, large or small, who have gone that route.

I spoke with a BMD project manager at NAB this year regarding 6G-SDI. While it is not a SMPTE standard, they are actively working to make it one. I think it looks good except that UHD 6G-SDI will only be 422, not 444. One should also note that all the BMD I/O boxes that are "4K" also only operate at 422 in UHD.
    Michael "Strawberry" Romano
    ICG Local 600 DIT | Honolulu, Hawaii
    Mobile: 239-218-4452
    michael@strawberrycolor.com
    http://www.strawberrycolor.com/
    http://www.sightandsoundhawaii.com/

**PLEASE USE MY EMAIL, NOT PM's IF YOU NEED TO TALK TO ME**

i don't think it runs any longer than 15-25 ft or something like that, and with no 6g da's... this isn't very viable right now. not to mention as michael said, it's not smpte standard, it's 3g, than 10g. inventing and pushing a new standard is a tough one...
    Local 600 IATSE Digital Imaging Technician
    Phantom Certified Technician
    Da Vinci Resolve Colorist
    Scratch Lab Operator

https://vimeo.com/41679679