Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sorry man... I hope Im wrong too. but.... :(
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Isaacs View Post
    Gee Mark thanks for the vote of confidence I have put all my resources into 3D equipment I hope that you are wrong my friend.
    Ross, like you...Bob and i see the 3d world quickly closing down. As Mark mentioned, NAB had virtually nothing new 3d. 3ality breakup with ET is another big sign. I see it going back to what it was....the odd 3d IMAX film now and then.....but big features and 3d television-i think those are at the end of their road. And, just no production funds for our costly setups. We see it as get some under our belt now before things change drastically and our rigs are no longer useable. I think 4k production for television is of the next big wave to stick. That's what i am working towards and we are seeing a lot of interest in our docs shot at 4k by distributors--NOT because there is a 4k distribution pipeline yet, but because they see it coming and folks like Off the Fence who widely distribute nat. hist. docs want to be first to offer an HD and 4k version of such a show....This is what's been screaming the past few months for me.....I'm selling quite a few underwater 4k clips to television companies lately and for a while they wanted 3d clips, but that is all now a dead end.....so if the television companies making 3d clips no longer want clips, then it's just one more sign of the marketplace shifting...---yes it sucks for our investments and what we planned for....work is non-existent our side of the pond. Our rates are just unaffordable. In fact had a ridiculous request last week to produce and deliver a 3d 40minute television underwater doc for $150k. I had to tell them that post production would surpass even their budget for the whole show. They just don't get it....Atlantic and Colossus asked Bob and i to make a bid for the underwater portion of Galapagos 3d---they fell out of their chair when we bid it....so, they bought 4mins of my 2d footage and dimensionalized it....So, the market seems to only be able to afford a well written and produced for IMAX show.....well, that is my opinion. Bob will likely tell you the same thing. That said, we're shooting piece by piece now on our own dime Bob's show until we secure funding. But we realize we have a finite window of opportunity before something changes the equipment market.

.....i'm in your court....i hate it. I invested big as well...but now requests for 4k are coming up all around and i feel really good about this.
    John Friday
    La Paz, B.C.S., Mexico
    www.bajaproductions.com

RED UNDERWATER 2D & 3D

oh...and I agree. I think 3d is RUINED due to such terrible 3d work or 2d to 3d conversions which most that i have seen are horrible and just not the "3d experience" like at IMAX say watching a Howard Hall show.
    John Friday
    La Paz, B.C.S., Mexico
    www.bajaproductions.com

RED UNDERWATER 2D & 3D

3D was always a gimmick. Still is. And it always will be.

Very few categories of content -let alone movies- actually benefit from 3D. But every decade or so we get some innovation and the accompanying media hype that assures us that, yes, this time it is for real. Except it never is, because 3D adds so little to the visual experience and has plenty of potential to distract rather than immerse in the story. Which defeats the very purpose of the third dimension....

Good to see that the current 3D wave is dying as reflected in box office performance of "3D" movies and also and in 3D TV sales. Now everyone can go back and focus on making content the proven 2D way for another decade or so. Just because something is old does not mean it is inherently broken and needs to be replaced. The wheel is an ageless invention, and so are the 2D images projected on screens and TV.

I think 3d targeted IMAX productions (big budget) are the exception with your statement though.....good 3d IMAX experience is something people go to see with the family.....and good 3d is COSTLY---and more so underwater and underwater good 3d is good when shot properly. Howard Hall has proven this time and again with his underwater productions....but there are not so many 8million dollar budgets floating around out there these days.
    John Friday
    La Paz, B.C.S., Mexico
    www.bajaproductions.com

RED UNDERWATER 2D & 3D

As my 8 year old daughter asks before going to the cinema : "I hope we don´t have to wear those stupid glasses to watch this movie?"
    I have to agree with Liana.
    It might benefit IMAX, I never seen 3D in an IMAX, but howow many countries have IMAX theatres?

EDIT: I actually enjoyed the HFR 3D in the Hobbit, but it did interfere with the film IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Friday View Post
    I think 3d targeted IMAX productions (big budget) are the exception with your statement though.....good 3d IMAX experience is something people go to see with the family.....and good 3d is COSTLY---and more so underwater and underwater good 3d is good when shot properly. Howard Hall has proven this time and again with his underwater productions....but there are not so many 8million dollar budgets floating around out there these days.
    I would say that the only use for 3D that gets me excited is underwater IMAX. There is a whole other world beneath the surface of the ocean that I don't normally get to experience, so I would happily pay the extra few bucks for 3D in that scenario.

That said, I cannot stand seeing blockbuster films in 3D. The only 3D film I have seen that I felt it actually added to the experience was Coraline. Great film, and they used the 3D in a way that fit the story.
    Epic-X Dragon #01662 - "Krang"
    www.andrewscottbaird.com

For the record, I loved watching U2 in 3D concert film.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

I bet none of you Ladies and Gentlemen have ever seen realistic 3D content much less 3D movie.
    But if your argue then please name the 3D content, screen size it was projected on and and aprox. screen distance.

Maciej Orman

10. #20 That emperor's wardrobe looks a little over priced, guys! 
    Bluntly, I can't watch 3D films without developing a major migraine. Literally, not figuratively. I wear corrective lenses due to having radically different vision acuity in each eye.
    stereoscopic viewing glasses interfere with my vision in a way that is cripplingly painful. It does "work" in that I can percieve the 3D effect with the glasses, but I can not enjoy it at all.

I am far from alone in this, and for people like me the extra price of a ticket to a 3D film adds insult to injury.

For me it is a defective product.. though perhaps I am a defective consumer.
    RIght now, I am trying to find 2D screenings of the curent round of big fx driven movies so that I may see and enjoy them
    Last edited by Christopher Mills; 05-17-2013 at 02:27 PM.