PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet Control Hardware Upgrade Warning

Andrew Gentle
04-10-2014, 06:04 AM
When I tried to enable camera control over Ethernet, this message was displayed:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=50985&stc=1&d=1397134598

It did let me enable external control, this was a warning which indicates that somewhere along the line, RED made a change to this board. This Scarlet is a low serial number, #64, so this could be a very isolated situation. My question is, will this be checked and upgraded automatically when this camera goes in for its DRAGON upgrade or will I have to make sure I request the upgrade?

P.S. The screenshot function is handy! :smile5:

Nick Pasquariello
04-10-2014, 08:14 AM
That's not a comforting message. I hope it's kist a default, and means that there are certain functions that would require certain external modules, and thus you should just be aware that having certain software doesn't enable certain functionality alone?

In other words, I hope it's similar to the message on kids' toys like "Do not aim at eyes". Of course you shouldn't aim it at your eyes. But if it didn't have the warning, people would go "YOU DIDN'T TELL ME NOT TO AIM IT AT MY EYES".

TheBied
04-10-2014, 08:59 AM
You should contact support. The dragon upgrade should include this update, but you may want to highlight it when your camera goes in for upgrade.

Andrew Gentle
04-10-2014, 07:46 PM
I hope it's kist a default, and means that there are certain functions that would require certain external modules, and thus you should just be aware that having certain software doesn't enable certain functionality alone?

It's just the Ethernet port itself which is affected, I'm sure control through all other interfaces is unaffected. If you're installing the latest firmware, Nick, you should try the Ethernet checkbox, I bet it's not an issue for #1798.

You should contact support. The dragon upgrade should include this update, but you may want to highlight it when your camera goes in for upgrade.

Thanks, Matthew, I'll make sure I mention it to my rep when it gets called up. Hopefully soon!

Mikael Lubtchansky
04-10-2014, 08:17 PM
FWIW when developing the app I showed at NAB on RED booth I used a SCARLET and an EPIC (early SN) .

Upon first EPIC connection I had the exact same message but I still was able to connect and control the camera using ethernet cable.
except for this message I haven't been able to notice any real difference and all that I could try worked very well on that camera over Gig-E connection.

As the message says it might be 'unreliable' I guess but as far as I could test it was "usable".

Andrew Gentle
04-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Upon first EPIC connection I had the exact same message but I still was able to connect and control the camera using ethernet cable.
except for this message I haven't been able to notice any real difference and all that I could try worked very well on that camera over Gig-E connection.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it, especially since the impending Dragon update means the camera is going back anyway at some point, so even in the remote instance that there is an issue, it can be easily fixed.

Thanks for your input, Michael, I'm a fan of foolcontact and I'm really keen to try foolcontrol!