PDA

View Full Version : OFFHOLLYWOOD HotBox R/S & HotLink with WiFi

Mikael Lubtchansky
08-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Mark is having a hard time not spilling the beans of his upcoming box...

looks like the big one with power distro and TC is alive... can't wait to see the matchbox sized one with wifi only.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bvfne22IMAAHPAk.jpg:large

tweet tweet (https://twitter.com/OFFHOLLYWOOD/status/502124402667163649/photo/1)

Mark L. Pederson
08-20-2014, 10:48 AM
RESERVED

Ketch Rossi
08-20-2014, 10:51 AM
Interesting...

Russ Campbell
08-20-2014, 11:28 AM
Looks great, but I want the small one. Ready to place my order as soon as you go live.

Nick Morrison
08-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Love to know more...looks really interesting!

Brett Reynolds
08-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Nice!

Michael Lindsay
08-20-2014, 06:41 PM
Hey Mark

Please.... how do I give you money?;-)

Thanks

Michael L

jacob.schwarz
08-20-2014, 06:48 PM
Mark we all know you are going to release it. Just break the silence! Also how do i give you money too! :-)

The wifi only one is going to be a awesome tool!

Mark L. Pederson
08-20-2014, 07:23 PM
Mark we all know you are going to release it. Just break the silence! Also how do i give you money too! :-)

The wifi only one is going to be a awesome tool!

I'm only silent because I'm working around the clock so I CAN release it (or should I say "them" since it's three different products :)

Battle testing everything now - and trying to get price down a bit on the HotLink (wifi only unit) - and have accurate shipping targets on all there products before I take anyone's money.

I have seen so many new product disasters on Reduser - so ... I really want to avoid disappointing anyone here.

But let me just say - imminent. I'll be taking your money before IBC and shipping before October. But just wait a wee bit longer while I dot my i's and cross my t's. It's in your best interest.

jacob.schwarz
08-20-2014, 07:32 PM
quick questions. Power for the wifi unit? since i'll most likely use this with our movi and would prefer to mount it straight now nice if it was 5v USB of something.

If you need an extra beta tester let me know. Can't tell you how excited am about foolcontrol and wifi combo!

Mark L. Pederson
08-20-2014, 07:57 PM
quick questions. Power for the wifi unit? since i'll most likely use this with our movi and would prefer to mount it straight now nice if it was 5v USB of something.

On the HotLink (tiny wifi only unit) - you can power via 2-pin lemo or USB-Mini - now - stop asking me questions :)

Mark L. Pederson
08-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Quick update:

Full product details, videos, pics, pricing and web store live for orders - posted here before Midnight on Friday September 5th (two weeks from today). Just ironing out last details.

HOTBOX R/S
Designed for rental houses - bulletproof power distro, Run/Stop for every single FIZ invented and every push button handle, etc. and WiFi for RED DSMC camera + TC input for RED DSMC cameras - specific cables to also connect to F5/F55, Amira/Alexa for power distro & run stop.

HOTTAP
The last damn P-Tap splitter you will EVER buy. Resettable fuse and current direction protection.

HOTLINK
A WiFi side-car module for your RED DSMC camera the size of a matchbox. Put it anywhere on the camera. You have to see this one to believe it.

I will have working, full productions units of all three products on my body at IBC to show anyone interested - and hopefully some units in a few booths. Follow me on Twitter to find me at IBC and find out which booths have any of the products on display - @OFFHOLLYWOOD

Bob Gundu
08-22-2014, 10:27 AM
"all three products on my body at IBC"

Wow Mark, doesn't that velcro get itchy after a while?

Mark L. Pederson
08-22-2014, 11:10 AM
"all three products on my body at IBC"

Wow Mark, doesn't that velcro get itchy after a while?

Doesn't hurt as much as the 1/4 - 20s :)

Jason Diamond
08-22-2014, 01:07 PM
These are gonna be great. I've seen them and this is what everyone is waiting for. Paired with Mikael's App we're all moving into a new zone.

Nick Morrison
08-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Quick update:

Full product details, videos, pics, pricing and web store live for orders - posted here before Midnight on Friday September 5th (two weeks from today). Just ironing out last details.

HOTBOX R/S
Designed for rental houses - bulletproof power distro, Run/Stop for every single FIZ invented and every push button handle, etc. and WiFi for RED DSMC camera + TC input for RED DSMC cameras - specific cables to also connect to F5/F55, Amira/Alexa for power distro & run stop.

HOTTAP
The last damn P-Tap splitter you will EVER buy. Resettable fuse and current direction protection.

HOTLINK
A WiFi side-car module for your RED DSMC camera the size of a matchbox. Put it anywhere on the camera. You have to see this one to believe it.

I will have working, full productions units of all three products on my body at IBC to show anyone interested - and hopefully some units in a few booths. Follow me on Twitter to find me at IBC and find out which booths have any of the products on display - @OFFHOLLYWOOD

Really looking forward to seeing these Mark! Congrats!!

best

Michael Winokur
08-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Does this WIFI HOTLINK replace redlinK?

Nick Fury
08-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Quick update:

HOTBOX R/S

HOTTAP

HOTLINK

Hi Mark,

What is the shipping date and availability of the product line, please?

Thank you very much

fury

Mark L. Pederson
08-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Hi Mark,

What is the shipping date and availability of the product line, please?

Thank you very much

fury

All those details will be posted when store goes live and we start take orders - as we are still pushing one specific part manufacturer to commit to expedite.

Jason Diamond
08-22-2014, 02:26 PM
Does this WIFI HOTLINK replace redlinK?

Yes, it should :)

Mark L. Pederson
08-22-2014, 06:45 PM
EOL

http://www.photocineshop.com/library/PT-MULTI-8075-0013-0-O9NY.jpg

This just does not satisfy my requirements of what a "professional" camera accessory should be. It's a screaming piece of s#$t. And it is time to move on.

Tehben Dean
08-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Edit: Let me rephrase that.

Very curious about the HOTTAP and I WANT the HOTLINK!

Mark L. Pederson
08-22-2014, 07:09 PM
Edit: Let me rephrase that.

Very curious about the HOTTAP and I WANT the HOTLINK!

You want them both.

Maz Mawlawi
08-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Hotlink combined with an iPad/iPhone app like fool control would be a winning combination for using on gimbal for focusing and camera control. I'll be ready to buy on day one!

Nick Fury
08-22-2014, 07:33 PM
Hotlink combined with an iPad/iPhone app like fool control would be a winning combination for using on gimbal for focusing and camera control. I'll be ready to buy on day one!

Doesn't Foolcontrol require Redlink or is it the WIFI that is required and supplied with Mark's device?

Ryan Sauve
08-22-2014, 08:08 PM
You want them both.

http://selfmaderenegade.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/jed-mind-trick.jpg

Michael Lindsay
08-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Hi Mark

Love to know what weight the big box is?...

You are right about the little p-tap splitter boxs being crap!! We consider then consumables..

Will the Hotbox R/S ship fast? ....

Thanks

Mikael Lubtchansky
08-22-2014, 09:45 PM
Doesn't Foolcontrol require Redlink or is it the WIFI that is required and supplied with Mark's device?

foolcontrol OS X and iPhone both work as long as camera is 'connected' to the same network... GIG-E lemo cables, REDLink bridge module, HOTboxes from Mark are all good options :-)

Tehben Dean
08-22-2014, 11:26 PM
You want them both.

Prove it :)

Matt Ryan
08-22-2014, 11:31 PM
Prove it :)

I 2nd that motion..

Want to see these things in action.

Nils Ruinet
08-23-2014, 03:52 AM
EOL

http://www.photocineshop.com/library/PT-MULTI-8075-0013-0-O9NY.jpg

This just does not satisfy my requirements of what a "professional" camera accessory should be. It's a screaming piece of s#$t. And it is time to move on.
Crap, I just bought a second one of these way overpriced things !

Mark L. Pederson
08-23-2014, 04:05 AM
Crap, I just bought a second one of these way overpriced things !

Don't worry - the one you just bought will break or the internal wires will melt shortly (no pun intended).

It will most likely hold you over until you buy a HOTTAP - the last P-Tap splitter you will EVER buy :)

Nils Ruinet
08-23-2014, 06:50 AM
Don't worry - the one you just bought will break or the internal wires will melt shortly (no pun intended).

It will most likely hold you over until you buy a HOTTAP - the last P-Tap splitter you will EVER buy :)
Well, definitely looking forward to that. That, AND the mini WIFI module !!

Elizabeth Lowrey
08-24-2014, 12:20 PM
Very excited to finally see someone coming to market with technology to exploit the RED protocols that were opened up to 3rd party developers earlier this year. Congrats, Mark.:-)

But I do fervently hope that someone develops these apps (and any associated hardware -- a really nice focus knob, for instance) for Android devices. I finally got a smart phone this year and went with a Samsung Galaxy S4. Love the phone and the fact that I'm not locked into some of the really unattractive proprietary limitations that iphone imposes. I really don't want to have to move to that platform in order to take advantage of what RED has opened up. I don't have REDlink or the RED app for Android as I have been waiting to see what will emerge from the competition. Dream scenario would be a foolcontrol-like app for Android coupled with a new generation of knob that could offer the extremely fine but tactile control of focus that you can only get from a physical interface. Am I waiting for pie in the sky, or is this coming down the pike . . . like this year?

Tommaso Alvisi
08-24-2014, 03:51 PM
Please Mark, as soon as you'll know update this thread with a list of the booth @ IBC that will have your new gems!

Jake Wilganowski
09-04-2014, 07:28 AM
So am I correct that we will be able to order the HOTLINK this friday via info you are going to post here Mark? Because I want one yesterday ; )

Mark L. Pederson
09-04-2014, 08:22 AM
So am I correct that we will be able to order the HOTLINK this friday via info you are going to post here Mark? Because I want one yesterday ; )

Last minute pre-IBC tweeks & improvements, etc. - next TUESDAY ( September 9th) it will get announced here on REDUSER and then you can place order - almost there ....

Nick Morrison
09-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Any chance later this month for a local NYC demo? Love to see these things in person!

best

Mark L. Pederson
09-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Any chance later this month for a local NYC demo? Love to see these things in person!

best

No problem - after IBC.

Mike P.
09-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Can Hotlink and iPhone be adhoc with one another (so that I can use fool control direct with the camera anywhere)?

Does HotTap have a USB on there as well (for the iphone/ipad I'll be using with Hotlink & fool control)?

What's the estimated MSRP at the moment for both (or is that a Tuesday question)?

Mikael Lubtchansky
09-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Can Hotlink and iPhone be adhoc with one another (so that I can use fool control direct with the camera anywhere)?

yes that's the default mode (but can also connect both to a router)

not idea about the second question but you can always use a DTAP USB adapter if needed, and can't comment yet on the last one as both products are still on our working benches getting ready and polished...

Mark L. Pederson
09-07-2014, 05:38 PM

Yes - you connect the mobile device directly to the HOTLINK - and in the case of FOOLCONTROL iOS - the app will find and connect to the camera within seconds with zero setup or config. We have tested on streets of NYC where there is massive interference - and we were always solid up to 60 feet away. Not until around 75 feet would we see the signal break up.

If you want to connect multiple HOTLINKs or HOTBOXs to a router - there's a super simple embedded HTML UI in our devices that lets you scan and connect to a router. And again, in the case of FOOLCONTROL iOS - the app sill finds the cameras without needing you to enter IP, etc.

Does HotTap have a USB on there as well (for the iphone/ipad I'll be using with Hotlink & fool control)?

The HOTBOX has USB for charging mobile devices.

We debated putting USB into the HOT/TAP quite a bit - and we talked to a ton of ACs - and we decided to first make a HOT/TAP without USB - and just try to get it as bullet-proof and inexpensive as we could and ship it as fast as possible. And it actually took WAY more time and money to get it to right. I totally under-estimated what it would take to nail it. It came out like a freekin' piece of jewelry - and I can't imagine a single AC not wanting to have one in their kit. Internal resettable fuse and also one-way direction current protection on the power input to protect your camera/quickplate module, etc.

HOWEVER - we WILL take orders for the HOT/TAP 2 that does feature a USB for charging mobile devices and powering a lens light when the store goes live Tuesday night. But the HOT/TAP2 with USB will ship AFTER initial orders of HOT/TAPs, HOTLINKs and HOTBOXs ship - and cost a little bit more than the HOT/TAP. But since the HOTTAP will last you FOREVER - grab one and flip it when the HOT/TAP 2's ship 3 weeks after the HOT/TAPs :)

What's the estimated MSRP at the moment for both (or is that a Tuesday question)?
That's a Tuesday night question.

Maz Mawlawi
09-07-2014, 08:10 PM
I assume we can have two cameras each running a Hotlink independently and each being controlled from two different iOS devices as well correct? (just like the Redmote)

Mark L. Pederson
09-08-2014, 02:09 AM
I assume we can have two cameras each running a Hotlink independently and each being controlled from two different iOS devices as well correct? (just like the Redmote)

Yes - and this is how I think most multi-cam shoots will want to work.

But you can also connect many cameras to router and use one iOS device to control all of them.

You can also config a router and use an IP address to control a camera through the internet - from the other side of the world :)

Maz Mawlawi
09-08-2014, 05:17 AM

But you can also connect many cameras to router and use one iOS device to control all of them.

You can also config a router and use an IP address to control a camera through the internet - from the other side of the world :)

Genius!!!!!

Jake Wilganowski
09-09-2014, 07:16 AM
Waiting, what's the eta when we can order today?

Mark L. Pederson
09-09-2014, 08:23 AM
Waiting, what's the eta when we can order today?

tonight - sometime after 7pm EST

Maz Mawlawi
09-09-2014, 08:35 AM
I have it set on my calendar and alarm clock.... ;)

Mark L. Pederson
09-09-2014, 08:43 AM
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?121504-REDLINK-BRIDGE

Brandon J.F.
09-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Today's the day...

Tehben Dean
09-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Assume you will develop an Apple Watch app so we can hit a big red button to record and see histogram on our wrist ;)

Ultimate remote. Ultimate convenience.

Mikael Lubtchansky
09-09-2014, 12:46 PM
wait until you've tried the dial button for focus :-D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxHY97aCQAAL2fM.png

Brian F Kobylarz
09-09-2014, 12:51 PM

I need to add another decade to my life.
This is getting too interesting!

Christof Paul
09-09-2014, 01:34 PM

that would be the first real excuse to get one of these!

Elizabeth Lowrey
09-09-2014, 02:23 PM

Mikael, what are the chances of you devoting your genius to developing this app for Android devices? Please, pretty please with sugar on top???:-)

Mark L. Pederson
09-09-2014, 03:52 PM
2-3 more hours ... almost there ....

Dane Henry
09-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Hotlink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....................ar e we close? :)

-dane

Mark L. Pederson
09-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Hotlink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....................ar e we close? :)

-dane

Yup. Very close. A couple more hours tops.

Mike P.
09-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Hey Mark, I saw Jarred's thread, but didn't see price -- did the MSRP get announced as well?

EDIT: For both Hotlink and Hot-Tap...

EDIT2: Is the power-output on the ProIO strong enough to power the Hotlink?

EDIT3: NEVER mind... just saw the links to the offhollywood webpages...

jacob.schwarz
09-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Mikael, what are the chances of you devoting your genius to developing this app for Android devices? Please, pretty please with sugar on top???:-)

Yeah if you could just mount this on a handle handle that would be golden.

Leroy Jackson
09-14-2014, 08:22 AM

Holy hell..... I can have Ketch Control my camera!!! This thing just became Super Awesome (That's better than awesome BTW)!

Troy Bakewell
09-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Android Please!