PDA

View Full Version : OFFHOLLYWOOD OMOD Modules for RED WEAPON

Pages : [1] 2

Jarred Land
04-13-2015, 12:42 AM
We are opening up official module support for Weapon to select 3rd parties... something I am very excited about.

First up is OFFHOLLYWOOD's OMOD MINI, OMOD LT, and OMOD 4K PRO come see Mark and working prototypes on Weapon in our booth tomorrow.

www.offhollywoodny.com/omodz (http://www.offhollywoodny.com/omodz)

http://www.redgrabs.com/up/1428980564.jpg

http://www.redgrabs.com/up/1429008683.jpg

http://www.redgrabs.com/up/1428931926.jpg

Jeffery Anderson
cool

luigivaltulini
OHHH gesussss s;) wowowowowow

Peter Majtan
04-13-2015, 12:43 AM
Now this I do like!

Tony Lorentzen
YES! Been wanting this for Epic since the beginning... This is VERY exciting!

Ketch Rossi
Nice! Congrats Mark!

Cameron Currier
Super exciting!

Stephen Lovett
Nice work Mark!

David Battistella
04-13-2015, 12:44 AM
Something for everyone!

Raphael Varandas
Wow! Thats great!!

Kemalettin Sert
Thats what i was waiting for!

Zeb B
The 3rd Party horse is out of the barn

Mark L. Pederson
Lots of info here - www.offhollywoodny.com/omodz

Andreas Mendritzki
WOW! This is freeking great

Udistir Singh
Awesome

Tonaci Tran
Go Mark!

dino g
nice, congrats mark!

Justen Nguyen
04-13-2015, 12:45 AM
Wow something for everyone. So many modules. Lovin it!

Peter Stepnoski
Um, yes please.

Phil Holland
Very interesting. Lots of potential here.

Chris Luker
Very nice!

Adam Howden
OMOD LT for me I'd say.

Aerials?

Reaz Ahmed
04-13-2015, 12:46 AM
cool ...

Alex Boothby
Whoa

Raphael Varandas
Nice Mark!! Congrats on it

Alexander Christ
Opening to 3rd parties based on the RED camera connection is a great move. Mark, congrats :-)

Dimitri Boschma
04-13-2015, 12:47 AM
Cool! Congrats Mark

Brandon J.F.
04-13-2015, 12:48 AM
Lots of info here - www.offhollywoodny.com/omodz (http://www.offhollywoodny.com/omodz)

Looks great!

Jordan Buck
04-13-2015, 12:48 AM
Looks like you guys have been very busy. Congrats mark these look great.

Adrian Pruett
04-13-2015, 12:49 AM
Can't wait for this!

Patrick Grossien
04-13-2015, 12:49 AM
This will up the game be a factor of OOooomph!

Cameron Currier
04-13-2015, 12:50 AM
Lots of info here - www.offhollywoodny.com/omodz (http://www.offhollywoodny.com/omodz)

Lots of awesome tech in there! Going to take awhile for all this to sink in!

Mark L. Pederson
04-13-2015, 12:51 AM
Looks like you guys have been very busy. Congrats mark these look great.

Thanks! We are super excited and and anxious to get feedback at the show before locking all specs.

Reuben Evans
How are you going to choose?

Patrick Grossien
Mark now gets to put on his cameras exactly what he wants ;) Awesome!

Phil Holland
04-13-2015, 12:52 AM
"OFFHOLLYWOOD is the first company to license and provide ACN wireless timecode and meta data technology from the industry leader AMBIENT RECORDING. The days of attaching lockit boxes to the camera with velcro are finally over.

The internal AMBIENT ACN time code module will generate, transmit and receive time code wirelessly from any AMBIENT ACN device such as the MasterLockit, Tiny Lockit or the ACN-LS TimeCode Slate."

So good.

Patrick Tresch
04-13-2015, 12:53 AM
On the OMOD W, why is the plate straight? The space underneath the module would have been a great shoulder pad spot.

my 2 cents

Pat

BigLu
04-13-2015, 12:54 AM
Mark deserves it, he's so on top of it at all times.

I want all this stuff.
Bad ass Mark.

Justin O'Neill
Congrats Mark, Weapon will be powerful indeed with thoughtful 3rd party designers like yourself contributing.

paul engstrom
Thanks! We are super excited and and anxious to get feedback at the show before locking all specs.

Mark -- is there a preferred way to communicate on this for those who cannot attend this year.

We are extremely interested in this (!)

Mark L. Pederson
04-13-2015, 12:55 AM
I just want to go on record and say that I'm not aware of ANY digital cinema camera company that has ever:

A) Released on open protocol for controlling and the camera
B) Allowed direct hardware integration to 3rd parties.

This is a MAJOR deal IMO. It makes the camera a PLATFORM.

Mark L. Pederson
04-13-2015, 12:56 AM
"OFFHOLLYWOOD is the first company to license and provide ACN wireless timecode and meta data technology from the industry leader AMBIENT RECORDING. The days of attaching lockit boxes to the camera with velcro are finally over.

The internal AMBIENT ACN time code module will generate, transmit and receive time code wirelessly from any AMBIENT ACN device such as the MasterLockit, Tiny Lockit or the ACN-LS TimeCode Slate."

So good.

We are very proud about this. I've been working on making this happen for a VERY long time :)

Phil Holland
04-13-2015, 12:58 AM
We are very proud about this. I've been working on making this happen for a VERY long time :)

It's excellent man. Productions have needed this for a while. Can't wait to sync wirelessly and not need the extras slapped on the body.

Mark L. Pederson
04-13-2015, 12:59 AM
Mark -- is there a preferred way to communicate on this for those who cannot attend this year.

We are extremely interested in this (!)

Just enter your info in the web page - and after the show - I'll circle back.

camRAW
04-13-2015, 01:00 AM
Awesome. What's the range for how far this could transmit?

Mark L. Pederson
04-13-2015, 01:00 AM
It's excellent man. Productions have needed this for a while. Can't wait to sync wirelessly and not need the extras slapped on the body.

And AMBIENT is SOLID. Great, well respected company.

David Battistella
04-13-2015, 01:01 AM
Love it. Get the clutter away from the camera!

Nick Morrison
04-13-2015, 01:02 AM
These are cool! Congrats Mark! And to whole RED team - innovative leaps like this are what we've come to expect and admire of you. Bravo.

Patrick Grossien
04-13-2015, 01:03 AM
Love this! + The announced OMOD ES is backing up the value of the existing cameras!

Superbe, Mark! Well done! :)

Alexander Christ
04-13-2015, 01:09 AM
"swappable, future proof “module in a module” design that not only passes an HD-SDI signal from the W-PRO, but also Gigabit ethernet and serial communication. Choose from transmitter options powered by TERADEK and PARALINX technology including an iOS wifi streaming option that allows simultaneous live video feed and camera control in a single app under development with FOOLCONTROL."

"run/stop ports - a Fischer 3-pin" also the small things are in ;-)

Corrado Silveri
04-13-2015, 01:09 AM
Love the AMBIENT integration, Mark!

Mark L. Pederson
04-13-2015, 01:10 AM
Love the AMBIENT integration, Mark!

And I love all the 3D renders you busted your ass on for me :)

Dan Dumouchel
04-13-2015, 01:11 AM
Jarred go to bed? I want more info!!! GAHH!!!

CJ Roy
04-13-2015, 01:12 AM
Mark, very cool. Can't wait to get some pricing info.

paul engstrom
04-13-2015, 01:39 AM
Just enter your info in the web page - and after the show - I'll circle back.

Will do. Have a great show - and congrats on your persistence!!!!!! We like what we're seeing here :)

Patrick Tresch
04-13-2015, 01:45 AM
I just want to go on record and say that I'm not aware of ANY digital cinema camera company that has ever:

A) Released on open protocol for controlling and the camera
B) Allowed direct hardware integration to 3rd parties.

This is a MAJOR deal IMO. It makes the camera a PLATFORM.

Will they open it to a major player in accessories called WoDemCanera?

Antoine MARTEAU
04-13-2015, 02:13 AM
Very nice!! Very powerful add-on for the camera.
Any price range for these?

I will follow the development carefully!

Antoine

Tim Lüdin
04-13-2015, 05:08 AM
We are opening up official module support for Weapon to select 3rd parties... something I am very excited about.

Wow nice. So what about the Actionproducts guys from Switzerland? They produce killer products all the time. They just outfitted a lot of Panavsion Cameras with their modules. These guys have RED in their DNA and made the best modules so far. I would love to see what they would do with your protocols.
Hope you consider them as well.
Best
Tim

Patrick Grossien
04-13-2015, 05:18 AM
Will they open it to a major player in accessories called WoDemCanera?

Guess not - since it's "select" 3rd parties.

Without the conflict before this might have been a possibility. Now? Not so much I assume.

Tobias Straka
04-13-2015, 07:37 AM
Wow nice. So what about the Actionproducts guys from Switzerland? They produce killer products all the time. They just outfitted a lot of Panavsion Cameras with their modules. These guys have RED in their DNA and made the best modules so far. I would love to see what they would do with your protocols.
Hope you consider them as well.
Best
Tim

Agreed. +1 for ActionProducts

Patrick Grossien
04-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Lots of info here - www.offhollywoodny.com/omodz

Mark (or Jarred) will the 3rd party support be extended to Scarlet and Epic?
Mark, you announced " development [of] a version of the OMOD W-PRO specifically designed for EPIC/SCARLET/DRAGON called the OMOD ES-PRO"
Is that a one time thing or something different? Because Jarred mentioned only 3rd party support for Weapon....

Hrvoje Simic
04-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Excellent, hats off Mark.

Bérenger Brillante
04-13-2015, 02:18 PM
I wonder if the sdi 1 2 3 are independent. Can we set up different overlays in camera ?

Also, can you explain how live wireless video in foolcontrol works ?
With teradek or paralinx yes, but how ? With an arrow+ or cube inside the module, sending it through some kind of hotlink?

DJ Meyer
04-13-2015, 04:03 PM
From the booth:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5vay9u6kq193w5/photo%20apr%2013%2C%2012%2058%2018%20pm.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5vay9u6kq193w5/photo%20apr%2013%2C%2012%2058%2018%20pm.jpg?dl=0

Davud Karadag
04-13-2015, 06:25 PM
This looks like a great module! Look forward to hearing more on pricing.

Patrick Grossien
04-16-2015, 12:18 AM
Mark, what about gig-e ports? Which of the modules have them? It's not listed on the webpage list.

Maybe you could think about adding it to the smallest one, because RED doesn't offer it this way. If possible, that would differentiate them more. And I think it would be sweet for stills setups with tethered shooting.

Christoffer Glans
04-16-2015, 12:44 AM
Mark, are there any plans to have the wireless video available for Epic Dragon? I'm thinking about a new version of Hotlink?
It would be awesome if we could use the Fool Controls new video function on Epic Dragon as well.

Mark L. Pederson
04-16-2015, 05:29 AM
Mark, are there any plans to have the wireless video available for Epic Dragon? I'm thinking about a new version of Hotlink?
It would be awesome if we could use the Fool Controls new video function on Epic Dragon as well.

Christopher -

Just to clarify - we have partnered with Teradek to build a purpose-built - low latency H264 board that allows simultaneous video & Foolcontrol. It will NOT be a Cube. It is much more mature technology and being designed with a socket so that as soon as the H265 encoder is available - it will be H265. It will feature H264 proxy recording on board as a bonus - and you will be able to shot love to FRAME.IO.

You CAN use a CUBE 2 now if I get you the custom firmware from me - BUT - latency and performance is not great and I recommend you wait or buy a Minion if you need it now. The new board will be an optional OMOD Wireless Video Module-in-a-module for the OMOD W-PRO for WEAPON and the OMOD ES-PRO for Epic/Scarlet. AND there is will a stand alone product to attach to your camera if you don't want to buy an OMOD.

Christoffer Glans
04-16-2015, 05:36 AM
I'm not really following, are you saying that there will be an OMOD-module that works for Epic/Scarlet that are able to connect to fool control and stream video?

Mark L. Pederson
04-16-2015, 05:46 AM
I'm not really following, are you saying that there will be an OMOD-module that works for Epic/Scarlet that are able to connect to fool control and stream video?

YES.

We are making a OMOD-ES PRO for non Weapon. We have access camera I/O with LEMO cable assemblies that will then be enclosed - just like how Mielzer Module was going to do it and how Action Products does it.

I'll post a full update tonight when I'm in airport waiting for plane back to NYC - there will also be an optional "module in a module" for C-Motion single axis or 3 axis lens control for both the OMOD W-PRO and the OMOD ES-PRO. So ... a true INTEGRATED, CABLE FREE camera system is finally happening.

You will be able to see it all working - for real - at Cinegear in June.

Mathias Erichsen
04-16-2015, 05:47 AM
YES.

We are making a OMOD-ES PRO for non Weapon. We have access camera I/O with LEMO cable assemblies that will then be enclosed - just like how Mielzer Module was going to do it and how Action Products does it.

I'll post a full update tonight when I'm in airport waiting for plane back to NYC - there will also be an optional "module in a module" for C-Motion single axis or 3 axis lens control for both the OMOD W-PRO and the OMOD ES-PRO. So ... a true INTEGRATED, CABLE FREE camera system is finally happening.

WOW!!! :)

Tom Greenberg
04-16-2015, 07:42 AM
there will also be an optional "module in a module" for C-Motion single axis or 3 axis lens control for both the OMOD W-PRO and the OMOD ES-PRO. So ... a true INTEGRATED, CABLE FREE camera system is finally happening.

Glad to hear you followed up on that discussion we had in the booth about C-Motion...this is a very smart idea, IMO.

Isaac Marchionna
04-16-2015, 08:33 AM
Mark, I know you mentioned a while back that those of us early adopters of the HotLink/HotBox would get some sort of early adopter credit towards your new products announced at NAB, is that still the goal?

Or have things changed?

Mark L. Pederson
04-16-2015, 08:43 AM
Mark, I know you mentioned a while back that those of us early adopters of the HotLink/HotBox would get some sort of early adopter credit towards your new products announced at NAB, is that still the goal?

Or have things changed?

Nothing has changed :)

Isaac Marchionna
04-16-2015, 08:44 AM
Nothing has changed :)

You sir...are a gentlemen!

Interested in the OMOD-ES Pro since I'll be staying with Epic Dragon.

Mark L. Pederson
04-16-2015, 08:47 AM
You sir...are a gentlemen!

Interested in the OMOD-ES Pro since I'll be staying with Epic Dragon.

Come to Cinegear and I'll blow your mind. We had to rush so much just to be at NAB - LOTS of stuff not ready to show or reveal that will be revealed at Cinegear. And I needed the feedback and validation before betting the farm. It's all on. Amazing feedback and ideas from all the right guys at the show.

Isaac Marchionna
04-16-2015, 08:50 AM
Come to Cinegear and I'll blow your mind. We had to rush so much just to be at NAB - LOTS of stuff not ready to show or reveal that will be revealed at Cinegear. And I needed the feedback and validation before betting the farm. It's all on. Amazing feedback and ideas from all the right guys at the show.

Will try to make it!

Christoffer Glans
04-16-2015, 10:16 AM
YES.

This is so awesome :thumbup1:
Though I'm wondering if it's only going to be the big one? Will there be a smaller one like the LT as well? I'm trying to stay as compact as I can get.

Patrick Tresch
04-16-2015, 10:26 AM
And I needed the feedback and validation before betting the farm. It's all on. Amazing feedback and ideas from all the right guys at the show.

If I may, please make your omod W shoulder compatible as the module has an natural shoulder form. Please.

Pat

Mark L. Pederson
04-16-2015, 10:42 AM
If I may, please make your omod W shoulder compatible as the module has an natural shoulder form. Please.

Pat

I already got that memo all day every day at the show. The cat is coming.

Patrick Tresch
04-16-2015, 10:54 AM
Great news! Thanks from a documentary guy.

Pat

Louis Maddalena
04-16-2015, 12:55 PM
Can these modules be used on top of modules like the base expander?

brian leisring
04-16-2015, 01:11 PM
mark, looks like the omod pro could integrate a shoulderpad if the base wasn't flat, seems like it'd be at a pretty good spot for camera balance too if you're flying an anton or two on the back.

Patrick Grossien
04-16-2015, 01:20 PM

guess there will be a lot of happy redusers if the OMOD ES PRO is the meizler/pro I/O a lot of people have been asking for. Probably mostly depending on the price - would it be reasonable to produce a base I/O - ES module? Mini XLR, wifi, etc similar to the mini? At least if it brings price down, I guess that would be a nice option. Although I have no clue what the ES-PRO will cost, I assume it's not going to be too cheap... ;)

Mark L. Pederson
04-19-2015, 06:23 AM
Can these modules be used on top of modules like the base expander?

No. You can't "stack" I/O modules onto I/O modules with the Weapon platform - you can only one I/O module and have a battery module on the end of that if you want - or, you can directly attach a battery plate (AB or V-Mount).

We got a ton of great feedback at the show and we are making a LOT of changes to these preliminary designs - we will show final, working designs at Cinegear in June and announce pricing. Very excited about our new partnership with C-Motion!

Mattias Ĺkerlind
04-19-2015, 08:26 AM
No. You can't "stack" I/O modules onto I/O modules with the Weapon platform - you can only one I/O module and have a battery module on the end of that if you want - or, you can directly attach a battery plate (AB or V-Mount).

We got a ton of great feedback at the show and we are making a LOT of changes to these preliminary designs - we will show final, working designs at Cinegear in June and announce pricing. Very excited about our new partnership with C-Motion!

Please do a small compact I/O module (like the Base Expander) with 10-Gigabit Ethernet and 4K HDMI/SDI output.

Do you know if this is even possible with the Weapon platform?

Michael Lindsay
04-19-2015, 04:23 PM
Really interesting stuff Mark

I am assuming the OMOD LT has a 6pin power lemo in? (Typo in spec sheet?)... Pretty much no value to me without a power in...?

Also since you are intergrating ambient TC functionality. (Great move .. I have all the new ambient stuff).. I am assuming other devices can sync to the module. also how do you control the ambient?

Thanks

Mark L. Pederson
04-20-2015, 04:10 AM
Really interesting stuff Mark

I am assuming the OMOD LT has a 6pin power lemo in? (Typo in spec sheet?)... Pretty much no value to me without a power in...?

Also since you are intergrating ambient TC functionality. (Great move .. I have all the new ambient stuff).. I am assuming other devices can sync to the module. also how do you control the ambient?

Thanks

Yes, LT will have a 6-pin Lemo power in.

Like I said, some spec and design is changing based on feedback at NAB - the majority of interest at NAB was for the MINI and W-PRO - so, I'm actually exploring the possibility to see if I can just make the LT the "module body" of the W-PRO so that customers can buy the LT and then upgrade/expand to the W-PRO by adding the riser/backplate which facilitates up to two "module-in-a-modules" (wireless video & lens control). Not sure if I can do it, but I'll know in the next few days. Also, overwhelmingly - folks at NAB asked for just the AB or V-Mount pate directly on the MINI & LT - so they did not have to buy a Battery Module or plate - and that is less expensive and easier for me - so we are gonna drop the RED Weapon Battery Module interface and just offer all OMODz with AB or V0-Mount plates directly attached.

With respect to controlling the Ambient - I'll get into all the details just before Cinegear - but the short answer is that the Ambient board is docked on our video processing board - which does have a USB mini for config - BUT - I got the Ambient team to read RCP on the hardware - so, if you want, you can change frame-rate of the TC by changing the frame rate on the camera, etc. - or - by jamming into the 5-pin lemo - and there's more - but I'll reveal all functionality in a video with a real, working unit headed into Cinegear.

Jens Jakob Thorsen
04-20-2015, 10:26 AM
Wifi,Wireless video,minixlr,SDI,HDMI,internal battery for hotswap.

Stacey Spears
04-21-2015, 07:39 PM
so we are gonna drop the RED Weapon Battery Module interface and just offer all OMODz with AB or V0-Mount plates directly attached.

Bummer, I will be using the RED battery module myself.

Do the mini-XLR audio inputs support analog and digital audio input? I am interested in digital myself.

jacob.schwarz
04-21-2015, 07:47 PM
Mark seems like you are picking up where the Meizer Module left off.

Jeffery Anderson
04-21-2015, 08:54 PM
Very excited about our new partnership with C-Motion!

is this to allow an new integrated internal follow focus system?

I'm guessing like most people it's be:

Wifi for Foolcontrol(weapon already has Wifi)
FHSS 2.4hz for Follow Focus

...be cool if you add wireless video h.265 for reference similar to a Anton Bauer AB-HTX 5.8 GHz (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917730-REG/anton_bauer_8075_0214_ab_hdtx_5_8_ghz_wireless.htm l)

...maybe Cine tape, which could be part of the uncompressed video signal... Paralinx/Teradek with a Cinetape on-screen graphic? could take sh*t to the next level....

Mark L. Pederson
04-22-2015, 04:18 AM
Bummer, I will be using the RED battery module myself.

Do the mini-XLR audio inputs support analog and digital audio input? I am interested in digital myself.

Stacey - we are going to offer the MINI with RED battery module interface.

On the W-PRO, audio is analog or digital, line or mic. Was only planning on analog audio on the MINI - but I can see if digital is possible - GOTHAM SOUND (https://www.gothamsound.com/)is designing my audio board - I'll know soon how small it is.

Sounds like you are interested in the MINI but with digital audio?

Gunleik Groven
04-22-2015, 06:25 AM
Very excited about our new partnership with C-Motion!

Yup. They seem to be an outward oriented and workflow focused bunch... :)

Mark L. Pederson
04-22-2015, 06:28 AM
Yup. They seem to be an outward oriented and workflow focused bunch... :)

They have better technology than Preston. But in the USA - very few people know them or their systems. IMO - they have the BEST technology of any and all lens control systems.

Jake Wilganowski
04-22-2015, 09:10 AM
Any RT Motion love?

Stacey Spears
04-24-2015, 05:38 PM
Stacey - we are going to offer the MINI with RED battery module interface.

Wonderful! For those wanting to use non-XL, ET has the V-Lock and AB batteries in the RED battery module interface, so they there is a battery solution for everyone.

Sounds like you are interested in the MINI but with digital audio?

That would be ideal, but not a deal breaker. I plan to record dual by sending audio into a Sound Devices 633 first and was hoping to send digital audio out of the 633 into the MINI-TC. If its analog only, that would work too. I know you have a price point to try and hit with the MINI. I think I am most excited about the Ambient TC built-in. Then I can use their TC slate and the ACN Tiny LockIt with the SD633.

The TC works through the backplane, correct? Meaning we don't need to plug a cable from the MINI-TC back into the body somehow.

From an aesthetic point of you, can you make the connectors on the side more sleek/angled like the Red base expander? :) No big deal if you can't.

Thank you for listening.

Stacey Spears
05-02-2015, 03:30 PM
Mark, what is the minimum number of ACN devices needed? e.g. For my doc interviews, I will be using the ACN-LS TimeCode slate and the OMOD MINI-TC on camera. For the audio recorder (SD 633) can I use the Tiny Lockit? Is that all I need? I guess what I am asking, do I need the MasterLockit? This is a simple one camera doc interview scenario. Maybe the wireless ACN is overkill, but I like the concept.

Mark L. Pederson
05-02-2015, 03:32 PM
Mark, what is the minimum number of ACN devices needed? e.g. For my doc interviews, I will be using the ACN-LS TimeCode slate and the OMOD MINI-TC on camera. For the audio recorder (SD 633) can I use the Tiny Lockit? Is that all I need? I guess what I am asking, do I need the MasterLockit? This is a simple one camera doc interview scenario. Maybe the wireless ACN is overkill, but I like the concept.

All you need is a Tiny Lockit.

Stacey Spears
05-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Thank you Mark.

Kemalettin Sert
07-05-2015, 06:23 PM
any updates on actual photos and prices?

Mark L. Pederson
07-06-2015, 02:55 AM
any updates on actual photos and prices?

We will announce final pricing heading into IBC. I'll sneak some pics out next month or maybe a few sooner ahead of IBC - when my Forged Weapon shows up :)

But all the designs and technical specs are very different from what we showed at NAB. MUCH better.

I'm trying to keep my cards a little closer to my chest until all things are locked and loaded - but our board - aka "The Omod Engine" (8 layers) has some pretty crazy functionality that I am dying to show off.

We not only interface with Weapon's IO - we have an ARM processor that can read and parse RCP commands and do things when you change settings on the camera. Stacey Spears is guiding the engineers on an open API for test pattern generation for color calibration that is revolutionary.

And in addition to the 3D LUT ability in the Weapon - The OMOD Engine will get you another TWO independent 33x33x33 3D LUTs, and you can store at least 16 of them - and lots of other goodness like wireless, internal GENLOCK. So, if you are shooting VR for example - with a bunch of cameras - you can lock TC and GENLOCK 100% with no wires.

We are also working on over a dozen new accessories for Weapon and plan to show as many as possible at IBC - so there's gonna be lots of options for ACs and Operators beyond the usual suspects.

I'll start teasing some images after the Forged Weapon arrives.

Jordan Raabe
07-06-2015, 08:37 AM
Mark, these look great, I'm looking forward to seeing how they have evolved.

It would be fantastic if I was able to to choose the HDMI or the SDI output to send over the Wireless feed, that way I could have a separate, simplified overlay for HDMI and send that to the director, while still running SDI to my AC's monitor on camera with important camera info.

PC Greene
09-10-2015, 10:25 AM
Very exciting Mark. What long range solutions are you looking at? Range? 2000+ feet?

Thank you,

We will announce final pricing heading into IBC. I'll sneak some pics out next month or maybe a few sooner ahead of IBC - when my Forged Weapon shows up :)

But all the designs and technical specs are very different from what we showed at NAB. MUCH better.

I'm trying to keep my cards a little closer to my chest until all things are locked and loaded - but our board - aka "The Omod Engine" (8 layers) has some pretty crazy functionality that I am dying to show off.

We not only interface with Weapon's IO - we have an ARM processor that can read and parse RCP commands and do things when you change settings on the camera. Stacey Spears is guiding the engineers on an open API for test pattern generation for color calibration that is revolutionary.

And in addition to the 3D LUT ability in the Weapon - The OMOD Engine will get you another TWO independent 33x33x33 3D LUTs, and you can store at least 16 of them - and lots of other goodness like wireless, internal GENLOCK. So, if you are shooting VR for example - with a bunch of cameras - you can lock TC and GENLOCK 100% with no wires.

We are also working on over a dozen new accessories for Weapon and plan to show as many as possible at IBC - so there's gonna be lots of options for ACs and Operators beyond the usual suspects.

I'll start teasing some images after the Forged Weapon arrives.

July Morgan
11-01-2015, 11:37 PM
fantastic

Vincent Larsson
11-29-2015, 02:06 PM
Any news regarding this?

Thanks,
V

Mark L. Pederson
11-30-2015, 08:25 AM
Any news regarding this?

Thanks,
V

Dangerously close. Just trying to get enough information into the dedicated OMOD website - before taking it all live so that all the FAQs will be there.

Gunleik Groven
11-30-2015, 08:26 AM
Dangerously close. Just trying to get enough information into the dedicated OMOD website - before taking it all live so that all the FAQs will be there.

Drumroll, can't wait!

Nick Morrison
11-30-2015, 10:42 AM

Looking forward to it!!

Stacey Spears
11-30-2015, 12:44 PM
Remember Mark, you do eventually have to ship at some point. :) And as soon as you ship, you will have a brilliant idea on how to improve everything. That is the life of engineering a product.

I can't wait to finally see what you unveil. It has been fun to watch the progression.

Mark L. Pederson
11-30-2015, 02:46 PM
And as soon as you ship, you will have a brilliant idea on how to improve everything. That is the life of engineering a product.

Very true. Which is why we spent a little (well ... a lot actually) extra time on a system architecture design that will allow us to "improve everything" and make variations with a fraction of the time and expense it would take to approach a single, specific module moving forward.

Kemalettin Sert
11-30-2015, 04:22 PM
Mark give us date :( cant wait anymore..

Bryan Koss
11-30-2015, 09:28 PM
Mark give us date :( cant wait anymore..

Mark, will it be announced on RU first or will early adopters with deposits get emails or both? Thanks!

Mark L. Pederson
12-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Mark, will it be announced on RU first or will early adopters with deposits get emails or both? Thanks!

Same time most likely - but I'll give the early adopter group a heads up. Getting closer. Lot of last minute changes. Just started working on the simultaneous, live HDR & SDR monitoring support - which makes me very happy :)

DJ Meyer
12-08-2015, 02:43 PM
ping

Andreas Mendritzki
12-08-2015, 06:25 PM
ping x 2

Bérenger Brillante
12-10-2015, 04:59 AM
We really need some news about all the Omod system. It's awesome, but we don't have enough specs and prices.. and the release date.

Stacey Spears
12-10-2015, 07:45 AM
Mark has been teaching Reducation all week.

akash adhikari
12-10-2015, 08:21 AM
Good news.....!

Meryem Ersoz
12-10-2015, 09:01 PM
Will OMOD for Weapon be interchangeable with the SCARLET-W body? Or is it too early to tell?

Is there an email update in the works?

Stacey Spears
12-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Will OMOD for Weapon be interchangeable with the SCARLET-W body? Or is it too early to tell?

Mark posted a picture of OMOD attached to a Scarlet-W Sunday evening on his Facebook page.

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/t31.0-8/12339619_10153330532855415_1579603141928987414_o.j pg

Jarred Land
12-10-2015, 09:17 PM

Is there an email update in the works?

Yes

Andrei Goaga
12-11-2015, 03:17 AM
Now that the DSMC2 line is complete, can't wait for the full specs for OMOD's :)

Meryem Ersoz
12-11-2015, 11:08 AM
Yes

:beer::beer: thank you.

Alex Bros
12-12-2015, 12:28 PM
Any news Mark? I just got my Weapon allocation email.
BTW, I may have a job in January/February that will take me back to the Arctic, if you'd like me to test out how the OMODZ handle extreme cold ;P

Matthew Quinn
12-13-2015, 05:29 AM
Does ANYONE have any idea how much the OMOD mini will be? and also.. am I reading this correct? this module has a feature that keeps your camera sync from drifting? what slate/audio recorder unit do I need to make this work? Are these products going to be released soon?

Brian F Kobylarz
12-13-2015, 05:52 AM
Does ANYONE have any idea how much the OMOD mini will be? and also.. am I reading this correct? this module has a feature that keeps your camera sync from drifting? what slate/audio recorder unit do I need to make this work? Are these products going to be released soon?

All depends on what you want it to do. There will be different variants so you can customize features to match your needs.

As far as the sync question, you should research Ambient ACN.
Rather than try to write a narrative, start here: http://ambient.de/en/product/acn/
Then look at the individual products.
No more velcro for Lockit boxes hanging on the camera. No more remembering to manually jam sync. Eliminating cables. Everything in sync to the same settings.

Mark is working on the announcements and refreshed web site.

This product looks extremely promising in so many ways.

Matthew Quinn
12-13-2015, 06:36 AM
All depends on what you want it to do. There will be different variants so you can customize features to match your needs.

As far as the sync question, you should research Ambient ACN.
Rather than try to write a narrative, start here: http://ambient.de/en/product/acn/
Then look at the individual products.
No more velcro for Lockit boxes hanging on the camera. No more remembering to manually jam sync. Eliminating cables. Everything in sync to the same settings.

Mark is working on the announcements and refreshed web site.

This product looks extremely promising in so many ways.

Looking very much forward to any updates, specially on price

Mark L. Pederson
12-13-2015, 04:49 PM
https://offhollywoodny.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/omod--e1450052804692.png

Since the natives are getting restless - here's an "partial" update:

All OMODs work on WEAPON, RAVEN and the recently revealed SCARLET-W.

There are more than a "FEW" choices of OMODs :)

I’m working to get the OMOD.IO (http://www.omod.io/)website 100% updated with specs and all the prices on the initial OMOD models - to be finished one week from today or sooner. I’ll post in this thread when it's live.

In the meantime, here is what I can tell you:

OMOD models that have the "OMOD Engine" for color / video / timecode processing share the same API for color LUT/CDL processing as TERADEK's COLR which was developed in tandem with OMOD. The OMOD Engine has a lot more features of course, but ALL the color processing features in TERADEK COLR (eradek.com/collections/colr)will be in OMOD and we have had COLR beta units in the field on major shows for weeks now with new features and functionality added every few days. (I'm going to start a new thread in a few hours after I have dinner about TERADEK COLR for 3D LUTs and FoolControl on DSMC cameras)

Pomfort Live Grade (http://pomfort.com/livegradepro/features.html) integration is complete.
CODEX Live (http://www.codexdigital.com/products/codex-live)integration is in process.
COLORFRONT (http://www.colorfront.com/) integration is in process.
QTAKE (http://qtakehd.com/) integration is in process.

OMOD will work wireless with all of those apps - and all of those integrations will be 100% before OMOD's ship and that firmware is evolving every day now with features that will make you forget how to spell FUJI.

We are supporting RTmotion (http://www.rtmotion.com/)via LATITUDE (http://www.pryortechnik.com/)and cmotion compact LCS system (http://www.cmotion.eu/cms/page/cp/21/what+is+the+compact+LCS+about%3F), as well as cmotion cvolution (http://www.cmotion.eu/cms/page/cp/19/what+is+the+cvolution+system+about%3F) hand controller with cforce motor (https://www.arri.com/camera/pro_camera_accessories_electronic_control_system/products/cforce_mini_lens_motor/)integration. We also have started on SuperSlot wireless audio (http://superslot.org/) development.

So... when are we taking actual orders? When are we shipping?

Short answer: We anticipate taking orders in late January. We expect to start field testing in January and even getting some prototypes to Early Adopters in late January and early February, shipping late February.

Long answer: What we are doing is very hard. The good news is that our engineering and manufacturing partner, TERADEK, has manufactured and shipped tens of thousands of units of transmitters and receivers and the hardest PCB - "The OMOD Engine" - is already DONE. We showed the first rev of this board working with Live Grade at IBC and we are currently spinning another rev of that board with more optimization and the new system architecture, which allows us to make MORE variations, faster and also allows us to support all DSMC2 battery modules in addition to our OMOD Battery Modules. So you can attach any DSMC2 battery module to back of any OMOD or any OMOD TX (wireless video transmitter) attached to an OMOD.

There are two other PCBs that are common to ALL OMDs - the "OMI" (aka OMOD Mezzanine IN) and "OMO" (aka OMOD Mezzanine OUT) - and we locked layout and trace on those boards last week. So, new boards will all be back before end of the year, but with Holiday schedules we are going to start hard-core testing right after New Year's, on January 4th. We just want to get through that week and know everything is working as expected before we start taking actual orders.

Prices and spec details will all be on www.OMOD.io - in a week or less.

Mark L. Pederson
12-13-2015, 05:05 PM
Mark, how does SuperSlot work? Lets say someone has an OMOD and an SD-633.

https://youtu.be/hGGrwTg1lMM

We won't have a SuperSlot integration ready when we start shipping OMODs. But for NAB - it should be done.

Matthew Quinn
12-13-2015, 05:09 PM
nice! super exciting

Bérenger Brillante
12-19-2015, 03:20 PM
Mark,

I guess we are seeing the end of it, but I have to ask !

About Livegrad, which licence will we have to buy ? is it the yearly subscription Livegrad Pro v3 or can we use free the Livegrad pro remote ?

What is the difference wetween the standard and + models ?
About OMOD Wireless TX, which brand are actually compatible ? Do we have to send in our Tx to be integrated in OMOD ?

Mark L. Pederson
12-20-2015, 04:25 AM
Mark,

I guess we are seeing the end of it, but I have to ask !

About Livegrad, which licence will we have to buy ? is it the yearly subscription Livegrad Pro v3 or can we use free the Livegrad pro remote ?

LiveGrade Pro

What is the difference wetween the standard and + models ?
You will see the full feature matrix when the OMOD.io site goes live. Soon.

About OMOD Wireless TX, which brand are actually compatible ? Do we have to send in our Tx to be integrated in OMOD ?

No you don't send anything in. You have to buy a new OMOD TX - but it will work any with any RX you own from the respective brand/model. OMOD TX's will be available TERADEK BOLT 300, 600, 2000 and PARALINX Tomahawk. Pair the OMOD TX to your existing RX units. OMOD TX units will MSRP for $100 more than their "non OMOD" TX version.

Kenny Mosher
12-20-2015, 11:42 AM
Hey Mark
Will the TX work with the Bolt Pro (model right before they launched the Bolt 300)?

Brian F Kobylarz
12-20-2015, 12:18 PM
You have to buy a new OMOD TX - but it will work any with any RX you own from the respective brand/model. OMOD TX's will be available TERADEK BOLT 300, 600, 2000 and PARALINX Tomahawk. Pair the OMOD TX to your existing RX units. OMOD TX units will MSRP for $100 more than their "non OMOD" TX version.

If I have this right:
I already have a Teradek Bolt 600 TX/RX set, which means I can use the existing 600 RX with the OMOD TX variant to feed it.

So Mark, when ordering the OMOD, one would specify which Bolt version you were matching to (300, 600 or 2000) ???

Reason is that when I originally ordered the 600 set, I asked about pairing a 300RX for a close-in AC and using the 600RX's for more remote monitoring.
Was told that would not work - the Bolt 300, 600 and 2000 series RX's are specific to the TX model to pair.
However since then, Teradek has added a new RX to the Bolt series (The Sidekick).
If I remember correctly, these receivers should work universally (within 300' I believe) with any of the three TX models.

Was already planning on adding at least one Sidekick to my kit.

Getting psyched - as this all falls into place, this really expands and cleans up both the rig and workflow on set.

Mark L. Pederson
12-21-2015, 01:13 PM
If I have this right:
I already have a Teradek Bolt 600 TX/RX set, which means I can use the existing 600 RX with the OMOD TX variant to feed it.

So Mark, when ordering the OMOD, one would specify which Bolt version you were matching to (300, 600 or 2000) ???

Not when ordering your OMOD. Only if, and when, you want to order an OMOD TX transmitter - then you have to select Bolt 300, 600, 2000 or Tomahawk variant.

Reason is that when I originally ordered the 600 set, I asked about pairing a 300RX for a close-in AC and using the 600RX's for more remote monitoring.
Was told that would not work - the Bolt 300, 600 and 2000 series RX's are specific to the TX model to pair.
However since then, Teradek has added a new RX to the Bolt series (The Sidekick).
If I remember correctly, these receivers should work universally (within 300' I believe) with any of the three TX models.

Was already planning on adding at least one Sidekick to my kit.

Getting psyched - as this all falls into place, this really expands and cleans up both the rig and workflow on set.

Yup. Either a Bolt 300 or BOLT 600 OMOD TX will pair to a BOLT Sidekick. (http://teradek.com/pages/bolt-sidekick-sign-up)

steve green
12-22-2015, 11:42 AM
Mark,
Will the OMOD TX work with my Paralinx Arrow-X?
Steve

antoine carpentier
12-24-2015, 02:50 AM
Merry Christmas! Any news of the expected website on this special day...? Could be a great present for us :)

Mark L. Pederson
12-26-2015, 04:29 AM
Merry Christmas! Any news of the expected website on this special day...? Could be a great present for us :)

Merry Xmas right back at ya! Working on it :) You will need to be just a bit more patient - there are a thousand spinning plates on this adventure and I have a few tricks up my sleeve that I have not revealed yet. So, hold tight. And if it makes you feel any better - I did manage to lower the MSRP of several OMOD modules by almost $500 by not rushing to announce everything.

My fingers are crossed you will see some cool stuff working 1st week on January.

Bob Gundu
12-26-2015, 08:30 AM
Merry Xmas right back at ya! Working on it :) You will need to be just a bit more patient - there are a thousand spinning plates on this adventure and I have a few tricks up my sleeve that I have not revealed yet. So, hold tight. And if it makes you feel any better - I did manage to lower the MSRP of several OMOD modules by almost $500 by not rushing to announce everything.

My fingers are crossed you will see some cool stuff working 1st week on January.

WHAAAAAT????? how often does a company shave $500 off? Merry Christmas.

Kenny Mosher
12-27-2015, 11:12 AM
Awesome Mark! Sounds exciting!!

Leroy Jackson
01-02-2016, 08:00 AM
Where in the first week. Wheres the NEWS? Also are you still making units for the old school Epic dragons?

Jake Wilganowski
01-02-2016, 09:11 AM
Ha, I'm as anxious as you but I bet we won't hear anything till the end of the week

Conny Fridh
01-03-2016, 08:24 AM
Hi,

this is Great News. Where can I see prices of the modules? I'm now just setting up my shopping list from RED to my new Scarlet W. And I would love to be abel to fit some of these one in there.

thanks
conny

www.connyfrdih.com

Bob Gundu
01-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Hi,

this is Great News. Where can I see prices of the modules? I'm now just setting up my shopping list from RED to my new Scarlet W. And I would love to be abel to fit some of these one in there.

thanks
conny

www.connyfrdih.com

I don't think these will be sold through the RED store.

Josh Becker
01-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Is it possible for a module's HDMI port to send 4K out? I've preordered the Scarlet-W and the ProRes is limited to 2K, so I'm just curious if there is at least an option to go to a 4K ProRes recorder if I find myself in that position.

Colin Nusbaum
01-09-2016, 02:04 PM
Is anyone else ardently checking this thread for OMOD updates...?

Any word on seeing the breakdown and pricing soon Mark?

Matthew Quinn
01-09-2016, 03:13 PM
Yes plz advise so we can plan... Feb coming up

Nathan DuMoulin
01-09-2016, 03:19 PM
Its crunch time.

Mark L. Pederson
01-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Its crunch time.

Crunching hard :) Lots of news very soon. Almost there.

Josh Becker
01-09-2016, 09:46 PM
Crunching hard :) Lots of news very soon. Almost there.

Any word on the 4K HDMI output question I had? Just curious because that could be the difference between me getting the V-lock Scarlet-W bundle vs. body only + an OMOD module.

Thanks!

Mark L. Pederson
01-10-2016, 02:01 AM
Any word on the 4K HDMI output question I had? Just curious because that could be the difference between me getting the V-lock Scarlet-W bundle vs. body only + an OMOD module.

Thanks!

No 4K HDMI.

Patrick Tresch
01-10-2016, 02:12 AM
Why is 4k HDMI so hard if Sony does it with their A7?

Pat

Mark L. Pederson
01-10-2016, 02:46 AM
Why is 4k HDMI so hard if Sony does it with their A7?

Pat

It's not "so hard" (it's all hard actually :)). It's a CHOICE. You have to make choices in design, size, heat, and of course ... cost. The A7 does not shoot 6K RAW and ProRes at the same time, etc. etc.

Josh Becker
01-10-2016, 09:28 AM
No 4K HDMI.
Bummer. Thanks for the info!

Jake Wilganowski
01-10-2016, 01:43 PM
Mark, will this ever be a possibility with omod or is it a weapon brain limitation

Josh Becker
01-10-2016, 06:41 PM
Mark, will this ever be a possibility with omod or is it a weapon brain limitation
Judging from his previous message ("It's a CHOICE."), sounds like it's possible but they are putting their energy into other features.

But it would be nice to hear confirmation. When I was seeing all of these modules with no mention of 4K HDMI, I was starting to wonder if the module pogo interface was limited to 1080p output.

IanK
01-11-2016, 10:29 AM
Does anyone know the pricing for the modules?

Matthew Quinn
01-11-2016, 11:29 AM
we are all waiting to find out @@

Darryl Harris
01-11-2016, 06:29 PM
I'm just crossing my fingers for an entry level module that can pull me away from the Base I/O v lock expander with a lower price tag. :)

Stacey Spears
01-11-2016, 08:54 PM
I'm just crossing my fingers for an entry level module that can pull me away from the Base I/O v lock expander with a lower price tag. :)

I think the cheapest module will be the Jet Pack.

Darryl Harris
01-11-2016, 10:38 PM
I think the cheapest module will be the Jet Pack.

I was referring to one of the OMODS they may announce, I think I remember it being announced that they were going to do a few different versions at different price points, for a few different needs. And it would be for me kind of exciting for one to fit around my budget. But it would have to beat out the Base I/O V-lock expander for me as far as functionality and value for me to switch. Just excited about what may come.

Matthew Quinn
01-12-2016, 07:47 AM
I am most interested in the Mini. knowing the price would mean a lot to me

Mark L. Pederson
01-13-2016, 04:44 AM
I was referring to one of the OMODS they may announce, I think I remember it being announced that they were going to do a few different versions at different price points, for a few different needs. And it would be for me kind of exciting for one to fit around my budget. But it would have to beat out the Base I/O V-lock expander for me as far as functionality and value for me to switch. Just excited about what may come.

Lowest cost OMODs are $2499. (MSRP - dealers have some margin, so it's possible you can get a bit of discounts from dealers)

They work with any and all DSMC2 battery modules. They work on any DSMC2 camera - Raven, Weapon, Scarlet-W.

We will be releasing our own battery modules after OMODs start shipping, but by design, we are NOT combining the battery plate on the OMOD so that you have the ability to directly attach a wireless video transmitter between the OMOD and battery module with no cables. And trust me - there are some exciting wireless video / streaming technologies brewing from camp Teradek.

I have mentioned before - we are focused on providing integration, features and functionality that are not currently available from RED. You are not going to see something from us that is the same as an existing RED product - just cheaper. That said, we have been working very hard to the get OMOD prices down and provide more options - (one of the reason have not been posting as the details). If you don't need any functionality or features beyond the the Base I/O from RED, you won't need an OMOD.

Folks in the OMOD Early Adopter program will be getting detailed update emails within the next day or so - and we are working on setting up a global reseller channel - specifically targeting all the authorized dealers for RED which are are pre-approving as OMOD dealers.

We start shipping in Feb.

Ketch Rossi
01-13-2016, 05:17 AM
If $2,499 is the price of the Mini, then the OMOD's are going to see lot's of DSMC2 backs... :)

For me it will be for sure two units a Mini and one of the super OMOD's, just need to wait it out and truly understand their complexity and best combo for my uses... On both Wireless and Lens control... Awaiting news.

Darryl Harris
01-13-2016, 10:19 AM
Thank you for the response Mark. Excited for the community to get their hands on the OMOD's!

Nathan DuMoulin
01-13-2016, 10:53 AM
If $2,499 is the price of the Mini, then the OMOD's are going to see lot's of DSMC2 backs... :)

I may be horribly wrong, but wasn't the Mini an early concept that was superseded by the larger lineup? (shown in the attached image). Or is it the same thing with simply a different name?

Either way, from what I understand, the XLR module is the only one that doesn't use the main OMOD engine. Hopefully that implies that it's the cheapest at $2500. :)

https://offhollywoodny.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/omod--e1450052804692.png

Mark L. Pederson
01-13-2016, 07:35 PM
I may be horribly wrong, but wasn't the Mini an early concept that was superseded by the larger lineup? (shown in the attached image). Or is it the same thing with simply a different name?

You are are correct. There is no "mini". They are all lean and mean :)

Either way, from what I understand, the XLR module is the only one that doesn't use the main OMOD engine. Hopefully that implies that it's the cheapest at $2500. :)

POE does not have the OMOD engine either - and that is also $2499. (yes, XLR is $2499) POE is wireless lens control via RTmotion - EF lenses or single axis PL motor - and you can direct attach TWO RTmotion thumbwheels for focus and iris - or control single axis PL mount with a thumb controller.

Louis Maddalena
01-13-2016, 08:16 PM
Man $2499? Thats definitely going on the Raven. Now to see what you guys have in store for my Weapon. Any chance you're working on any of them in CF to match?

Ketch Rossi
01-13-2016, 08:48 PM

Been in Mauritius shooting for the last 5 months with very limited net, so I didn't know this... :)

Meryem Ersoz
01-13-2016, 09:23 PM
OMOD is the reason that I bought this camera. Motion control, wireless, color management in one? That can't be cheap. But it's what has the potential to make this the camera of the future. I don't want the cheapest one, because I can already find ways to rig accessories uncomfortably to its tiny little real estate-restricted Weapon body. I probably want the one with the most functionality - with all those goodies possible, it won't be cheap, but still likely to be cheaper than purchasing all of that functionality separately - and definitely more streamlined. If Offhollywood pull this off, it could be almost as revolutionizing as RED itself. Imagine a gack-free camera that still does more than what your current camera can already do...the mind boggles....

Nathan DuMoulin
01-13-2016, 10:08 PM
You are are correct.

Awesome. Thanks Mark!

We will be releasing our own battery modules after OMODs start shipping

Any idea when the battery modules will be ready? Scarlet-Ws start shipping next month, and there doesnt seem to be much justification in buying anything other than the OMOD battery plate since it's the only one compatible with the wireless OMOD that I intend to get at a later date.

It looks like I wont have any way to power my Scarlet-W except AC until the OMOD battery plates are ready! Please hurry! lol

Bérenger Brillante
01-14-2016, 12:49 AM
Man $2499? Thats definitely going on the Raven. Now to see what you guys have in store for my Weapon. Any chance you're working on any of them in CF to match?

+1, it needs to match !
I will probably buy some CFlike stickers if the Omod doesn't get too hot.

Mark L. Pederson
01-14-2016, 02:08 AM
Any idea when the battery modules will be ready? Scarlet-Ws start shipping next month, and there doesnt seem to be much justification in buying anything other than the OMOD battery plate since it's the only one compatible with the wireless OMOD that I intend to get at a later date.

It looks like I wont have any way to power my Scarlet-W except AC until the OMOD battery plates are ready! Please hurry! lol

We will show DSMC2 battery modules at NAB - MAYBE we can ship same time - most likely right after NAB - but PLEASE buy RED battery module to get yourself off the ground and then if you want one of ours - just flip the RED one to another REDUSER. Obviously you can power the OMOD/CAMERA with any existing battery plate for EPIC/SCARLET on rods with the LEMO connector into the OMOD as well to hold you over. But I would strongly suggest you get an ET DSMC battery plate to get going - and then just sell it if your prefer ours.
https://elementtechnica.com/product/w-v-mount-battery-module/
https://elementtechnica.com/product/w-gold-mount-battery-module/

Blair S. Paulsen
01-14-2016, 12:09 PM
I already received the ET DSMC2 plate Mark notes and it appears very well made. The $900 price tag is a tough swallow, but if it performs over time as good as it looks...

Cheers - #19

Jake Wilganowski
01-14-2016, 12:51 PM
Mark, so if I'm getting Poe, will the power pass through an externally mounted battery plate through the camera to power poe?

Sean Rawls
01-14-2016, 04:24 PM
Mark, so if I'm getting Poe, will the power pass through an externally mounted battery plate through the camera to power poe?
I'm wondering about this as well. Great price on these Mark! Surprising to get wireless lens control on the low(er) end model.

Mark L. Pederson
01-14-2016, 05:20 PM

If you have an externally mounted battery plate - or AC power source - or battery block - you can connect to the OMOD with the 6-pin LEMO and the OMOD passes power to the camera. There is a 6-pin LEMO on every OMOD for DC input.

So ... POE powers the camera.

Or .. attach ANY DSMC2 battery module and power POE (or any OMOD) and that OMOD will power the camera.

Daniel Stilling
01-14-2016, 05:25 PM
Did I miss the details on this? can't wait to hear details!!

Mark L. Pederson
01-14-2016, 05:30 PM
Did I miss the details on this? can't wait to hear details!!

I'm holding back details - cause ... it's more fun to show than tell.

Daniel Stilling
01-14-2016, 06:09 PM
Can't wait to see then:)

Jake Wilganowski
01-14-2016, 06:40 PM
Oh so your saying I can get the element technica plate to power the omod with no cables, and you are also releasing your own battery plates. I didn't realize we could use other plates with no cables. Awesome.

Mark L. Pederson
01-15-2016, 06:28 AM
Oh so your saying I can get the element technica plate to power the omod with no cables, and you are also releasing your own battery plates. I didn't realize we could use other plates with no cables. Awesome.

Yes. Exactly. That was Jarred's idea. And a good one.

Jake Wilganowski
01-15-2016, 07:55 AM
Alrighty then. I'm going to get the ET plate now and order an omod as soon as I can. I really wish I would have signed up for the early adopter program. I almost did, came so close. I don't suppose there is ANY way to still get in on that?

Edit: if your battery plate has a built in short term battery for hot swapping I'll be getting that and selling the ET plate. But hopefully this is in the other part of the OMOD body. I know u mentioned it before and it's a gaping hole in the ecosystem now...

Louis Maddalena
01-15-2016, 07:56 AM
Yes. Exactly. That was Jarred's idea. And a good one.

A very good idea. A lower cost of entry if parts people already have can be reused.

Mark L. Pederson
01-15-2016, 08:37 AM
A very good idea. A lower cost of entry if parts people already have can be reused.

And more importantly - I can get other stuff done sooner :)

Brian F Kobylarz
01-15-2016, 01:32 PM
And more importantly - I can get other stuff done sooner :)

Whaa? Did you give your clone the day off?

DJ Meyer
01-15-2016, 01:38 PM
So to recap, when it comes to V-lock, our Weapon options are: (please correct if wrong)

1. Current ET V-lock, which WILL power both upcoming OMODs and Weapon, though the Top Handle won't fit. (also- is the ET now able to supply battery info to brain?) - $900

2. Red DSMC2 V-lock Expander - no ETA - $1900 (does this also power an OMOD sandwiched between brain and module?

3. Forthcoming OMOD battery plate.

4. ?

Nathan DuMoulin
01-15-2016, 01:42 PM
I'm already over budget with my Scarlet-W, and since it will be limited to studio use for awhile, I think I'll just have to accept the fact that I'll be stuck running on AC until the OMOD battery plate is ready. These $1k-$2k temp vmount solutions will break me. :)

Speaking of which, any idea of what the OMOD battery plate will retail for?

Jake Wilganowski
01-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Yes the ET plate gives info now FYI

Michael Maes
01-15-2016, 01:51 PM
1. Current ET V-lock, which WILL power both upcoming OMODs and Weapon, though the Top Handle won't fit.
ET V-Lock and Top Handle go together with PAGlink batteries (about 1/2" margin even).
There are other low-profile V-mounts that should work.
REDBRICK is to long (or high) indeed.

Mark L. Pederson
01-15-2016, 01:55 PM
Speaking of which, any idea of what the OMOD battery plate will retail for?

I don't know yet as final design is not done. It has an extra SDI - because if you are paying attention you know we have video coming off of the interface on the back of the OMOD - which feeds video to any OMOD TX video transmitter - so, when you don't have an OMOD TX on the OMOD - that signal goes into the OMOD Battery Module and gives you another SDI.

So, on the lower cost modules like POE - that have only one SDI and one HDMI - with an OMOD Battery Module - you get another cloned SDI.

Mark L. Pederson
01-15-2016, 01:57 PM
ET V-Lock and Top Handle go together with PAGlink batteries (about 1/2" margin even).
There are other low-profile V-mounts that should work.
REDBRICK is to long (or high) indeed.

Stop worrying about the handle height :)

Chad Lancaster
01-15-2016, 02:26 PM
Mark, sorry if i've missed the answer to this but is there a date were you'll be announcing all the details?

Mark L. Pederson
01-15-2016, 02:37 PM
Mark, sorry if i've missed the answer to this but is there a date were you'll be announcing all the details?

As soon as I'm ready :)

Louis Maddalena
01-15-2016, 02:40 PM
You mentioned earlier some sort of earlier adopter program. Is it too late to be part of that?

Mark L. Pederson
01-15-2016, 02:44 PM
You mentioned earlier some sort of earlier adopter program. Is it too late to be part of that?

Yes - the OMOD Early Adopter program is closed. That was fast and furious during IBC.

But since you are just across the river - you will be able to come over to Brooklyn and play with some soon enough :)

Louis Maddalena
01-15-2016, 02:58 PM
Yes - the OMOD Early Adopter program is closed. That was fast and furious during IBC.

But since you are just across the river - you will be able to come over to Brooklyn and play with some soon enough :)

I definitely want to try some out thats for sure .

Tim Morten
01-16-2016, 09:13 AM
So to recap, when it comes to V-lock, our Weapon options are: (please correct if wrong)

1. Current ET V-lock, which WILL power both upcoming OMODs and Weapon, though the Top Handle won't fit. (also- is the ET now able to supply battery info to brain?) - $900

2. Red DSMC2 V-lock Expander - no ETA - $1900 (does this also power an OMOD sandwiched between brain and module?

3. Forthcoming OMOD battery plate.

4. ?

There is a W.C. solution...

Richard Gazzo
01-16-2016, 07:08 PM
There is a W.C. solution...
Yeah, I'm surprised nobody is bringing it up here
W.C seems to have a nice set of accessories ready for DSMC2. Or is there something i don't know?

Patrick Grossien
01-17-2016, 11:10 AM
afaik there's no cable less plate from them yet. They will introduce something @ IBC as it seems.

But you can of course use any existing plate that uses the regular DC power plug

Fergus Cahill
01-17-2016, 11:45 AM
Is anyone else checking omod.io more often than is healthy? - I've got more anticipation around the accessories than the camera....

Patrick Tresch
01-17-2016, 01:50 PM
Under Construction

this is going to be a skyscraper!

PS: I think there is going to be so many solutions out there that all wait to fire their solution right after the first one is announced...
Remember all recived the SDK at about the same time. Development isn't cheap and it allways take longer than expected. A marketing failure can be fatal.

Fergus Cahill
01-17-2016, 01:54 PM
Yes fair point Patrick! - Some times you just need to let it cook!

Richard Gazzo
01-17-2016, 08:34 PM
afaik there's no cable less plate from them yet. They will introduce something @ IBC

But you can of course use any existing plate that uses the regular DC power plug
Thanks for the details Patrick, didn't realize the cable less issue.

ignition
01-18-2016, 02:30 AM
Yeah, I'm surprised nobody is bringing it up here
W.C seems to have a nice set of accessories ready for DSMC2. Or is there something i don't know?

We went with the WC Weapon quickplate and using the IDX v-lock plate we already had.. still requires LEMO power so not cableless like the ET solution which we're still looking at, but it was a cost effective way to get v-lock in a compact setup as we wait to see what eventuates with OMOD and other solutions. There was also a few rumblings around the ET solution passing battery power when we were looking to buy but I understand that's all solved with the latest firmware.

Our initial objective has been to try and use as much from our Dragon setup as possible (and buying what is critical to keep a production-friendly setup). Early days in the DSMC2 ecosystem and expect we'll be seeing a range of compelling RED / 3rd party modules and mount options in the coming months.

Patrick Grossien
01-18-2016, 03:47 AM
Yes. You can get an OMOD with "everything" - or "just audio" or "just FIZ", etc. Lots of options to hit the different price-points and user needs. Working hard to show you guys all the options imminently. The AMBIENT TC module is integrated into the OMOD ENGINE - which does all the color/signal path processing and live-grade integrations - so, if you want the wireless TC you will have to choose an OMOD with the OMOD ENGINE which gives you a shit ton of extra functionality (3 independent SDI outs, 108060i, etc.). But there will be a "compare" embedded spreadsheet on the site when it re-launches so you can figure out which OMOD make the most sense for you.

Mark, I was wondering about the change that RED now only supports one single module vs. multiple modules with the DSMC system.
Customer wise it always sounded like a great idea. And especially if your needs grow alongside your business.

And as I understand it now, we would now need to go all in with a big module, if we would need say 2 features but not the rest, because modules can't be combined. Correct?

Maybe you could help me understand what your take is on that. Do you see it as a good thing or as a bad thing? Because producing any variation of every module type doesn't seem practical either... ;)

Thanks!

Mark L. Pederson
01-18-2016, 04:17 AM
Mark, I was wondering about the change that RED now only supports one single module vs. multiple modules with the DSMC system.
Customer wise it always sounded like a great idea. And especially if your needs grow alongside your business.

And as I understand it now, we would now need to go all in with a big module, if we would need say 2 features but not the rest, because modules can't be combined. Correct?

Maybe you could help me understand what your take is on that. Do you see it as a good thing or as a bad thing? Because producing any variation of every module type doesn't seem practical either... ;)

Thanks!Yes - all DSMC2 modules can only have ONE module connected to the brain - and then you can add a DSMC2 Battery Module on the back if you want. OMOD changes that just slightly by allowing you to put a OMOD TX wireless video transmitter between any OMOD module and any DSMC2 Battery Module.

Basically - you add cost, complexity and size if you route every single signal from the front of the module to the back of the module to "pass down" to another module. Further - there is more going on than you think. There is a lot of communication between the brain and the module - so, it gets very complex and crazy when you "stack" modules. We considered doing it for OMOD - as there was a way we could do it - and then we looked at the cost and time - and we opted for a making a flexible architecture that would allow us to make many variants quickly and easily at the lowest possible cost.

Also, remember - when you stack modules you add weight and size you don't get in a single module. I drive the electronic engineers crazy on OMOD - packing stuff as tight as possible. A "fully loaded" OMOD with all the video processing and lens control is only 50.25mm long (from brain to battery module) - that's less than 2 inches.

I would not stress about your investment - get what you NEED - not what you WANT - like all things RED - there is a healthy after-market so you can sell and step up. Also, OFFHOLLWYOOD will rent all flavors of OMOD and you can roll 50% of the rental rate towards a purchase of that same flavor of module you rent from us.

antoine carpentier
01-18-2016, 04:54 AM
We are sure that it will be awesome but the problem is announcing many times that it's will be realese next week, next days, soon, etc, get people boring.
In facts we are waiting pictures, prices or website since many months. And I'm scare about the waiting time of producing/delivery

It's remember me the black magic announcement...

Patrick Grossien
01-18-2016, 04:55 AM
Awesome! Thank you Mark for the thorough explanation. A much appreciated input and insight. This definitely puts it into perspective and lets me understand more of the decision making process in these instances. Which sometimes comes too short and you start wondering why all the smart guys make decisions which seem weird to the layman at first. ;)

Thank you so much!

As to the renting part: that is awesome but will probably be a tad more difficult for us here in Germany. ;)

antoine carpentier
01-18-2016, 04:58 AM
We are sure that it will be awesome but the problem is announcing many times that it's will be realese next week, next days, soon, etc, get people boring.
In facts we are waiting pictures, prices or website since many months. And I'm scare about the waiting time of producing/delivery

It's remember me the black magic announcements...

Mark L. Pederson
01-18-2016, 05:11 AM

It's remember me the black magic announcements...

I fully understand as I have been on both sides of this now - waiting ... and keeping people waiting ... both kinda suck. But what we are doing is not easy:)

Other than answering questions - we are not taking orders or giving all the details until I can post some videos. With respect to producing/delivery - that is already very well set up with our partners and we can make them as fast as RED can make cameras. But we need to get everything right first. Sorry folks are getting bored. I'll kick up some excitement soon enough.

Fergus Cahill
01-18-2016, 11:08 AM
Mark, slightly off topic, but...

Do you guys have much in the way of support accessories in the works? Top plates, bottom plates etc?

Sure it's not the main priority at the moment, but would love to see some with OH build quality!

Mark L. Pederson
01-18-2016, 11:47 AM
Mark, slightly off topic, but...

Do you guys have much in the way of support accessories in the works? Top plates, bottom plates etc?

Sure it's not the main priority at the moment, but would love to see some with OH build quality!

Yup. Just started locking that stuff down - will show some stuff early Feb.

ignition
01-19-2016, 01:02 AM
With all due respect think we can cut Mark and team a lot of slack, obviously working very hard to deliver a great product and trying to gear up a production line from scratch for new products like this is no easy feat. I'd like to think the delays are ensuring the quality control and reliability is there (and no doubt the O/H team keep wanting to cram new goodies in there)

3rd party manufacturers like this have the alternate option of just keeping quiet until they're geared up.. I for one prefer the advanced notice of what's in the pipeline, helps make decisions on what to invest in now vs down the track. It goes without saying, though, its prudent to base any commercial commitments you might have for the foreseeable future based on whatever is avail now.

Kris Bird
01-20-2016, 03:16 AM
As an OMOD partner, I can say that things are really advanced now- it won't be long :) Mark's easily past the stage where most companies would have taken deposits and pre-orders- holding off was a choice, as he's still trying to squeeze as much potential out of the system as possible! It's all for the right reasons :)

Kemalettin Sert
01-20-2016, 03:21 AM
February? :/

Mark L. Pederson
01-20-2016, 03:23 AM
As an OMOD partner, I can say that things are really advanced now- it won't be long :) Mark's easily past the stage where most companies would have taken deposits and pre-orders- holding off was a choice, as he's still trying to squeeze as much potential out of the system as possible! It's all for the right reasons :)

THIS. Thanks Kris :)

Nathan DuMoulin
01-20-2016, 06:19 PM
I realize that recording in camera has it's limitations, but this would be a good time to see exactly what those limitations are on DSMC2. I expect that the XLR OMOD will be the best in camera audio solution, and am looking forward to getting my hands on one.

That being said, many of us are coming up from the BMD or SLR backgrounds, where we used devices like the Beachtek, Zoom, or Juicelink to route audio into our cameras. Shooting on Red is a big jump up in picture quality, so it will be reassuring to know that the audio is a step forward as well. Any chance of getting some samples or perhaps lending a unit to someone qualified for some testing? :)

Mark L. Pederson
01-20-2016, 06:35 PM
Mark,

I realize that recording in camera has it's limitations, but this would be a good time to see exactly what those limitations are on DSMC2. I expect that the XLR OMOD will be the best in camera audio solution, and am looking forward to getting my hands on one.

That being said, many of us are coming up from the SLR backgrounds, where we used devices like the Beachtek, Zoom, or Juicelink to route audio into our cameras. Shooting on Red is a big jump up in picture quality, so it will be reassuring to know that the audio is a step forward as well. Any chance of getting some samples or perhaps lending a unit to someone qualified for some testing? :)

Thanks!

Short answer .... YES. Loaners and test/demo units of OMOD's with the audio board will go out for validation before shipping.

Long answer .... I am still waiting for the rev 1 of the audio boards - due any day now. As soon as I have it talking to the brain correctly - Gotham Sound in NYC is going to validate the quality of the audio signals for me. When they are happy - I'll field test.

I am considering doing an analogue only version without the mechanical push to operate knobs - which is lower cost - and can be fit in smaller OMODs - but I want to see the reaction to our "slightly over the top" audio board first.

My take - and I could be wrong - is folks either care a TON about audio - or they don't care at all.

So, since DSMC2 camera have internal scratch mics - I'm starting the OMOD line with no OMOD audio (only internal scratch mics) - or "full tilt boogie" OMOD audio - now ... if folks bitch about the push to operate and size, etc. and price (bitching about price? could it happen??) ... I can scale back and make a solution in-between internal scratch audio and top of line internal digital/analog with high end pre-amps. But I wanna see how people react to our high end option first.

Colin Nusbaum
01-20-2016, 08:43 PM
Mark-

For what it's worth, I agree and am firmly in the "full tilt boogie" audio OMOD camp. The mechanical push knobs and high-end pre-amps will be fully appreciated :)

In fact, (to throw a big wrench at you) have you looked into SuperSLot integration??
Frankly, I don't totally understand how SUperSlot even functions, so if someone can shed light on that it would be great. But it seems to be an industry standard in the making, which certainly be future-proof, if true.

Mark L. Pederson
01-20-2016, 08:46 PM
Mark-

For what it's worth, I agree and am firmly in the "full tilt boogie" audio OMOD camp. The mechanical push knobs and high-end pre-amps will be fully appreciated :)

In fact, (to throw a big wrench at you) have you looked into SuperSLot integration??
Frankly, I don't totally understand how SUperSlot even functions, so if someone can shed light on that it would be great. But it seems to be an industry standard in the making, which certainly be future-proof, if true.

SuperSlot integration is already in the works. Our audio board was spec'd for that.

Patrick Grossien
01-21-2016, 02:33 AM
Sounds great! - No pun intended ;)

I believe that there's a huge variety of people out there who use RED cameras
Starting from stills photographers who don't need audio at all
Drone pilots who can't use the audio
Shooters who record audio externally so scratch will be enough
Shooters who record audio externally and send it back to camera wired or wirelessly

So the variety for pro Audio to me is from "don't need" over "got this covered" to "yes, finally!"

Everybody who truly needs audio will care for its quality. But a lot of self made solo operators just need the affirmation from someone they trust that "this is perfect" because they wouldn't be able to tell the difference at fine tune levels. As long as their audio levels are dialed in correctly, the main concern is, if the noise level is ok. Don't want to sound rude or like I'm on a high horse, but this is what I gather from real world experience starting from my students to self made shooters where a lot of people start from the image side of things. Even if it doesn't make sense and audio guys will be upset about the comment, but there's not always the budget for a separate audio guy to record externally.

About the price situation, I sure hope you'll be spared. But since Raven there will be an even bigger semi pro or self made user group out there.

Those users who will own just that single camera, and be using it as solo operators, will need I/O and need something that doesn't cost as much as their camera ;) the REDVOLT expander is overkill price wise even for a lot of Scarlet users and even though the Base I/O is cool, it's not cheap from a raven point of view at about a third of the price of the camera. (Although I believe the Base I/O v-mount is an awesome deal) If there would be an audio only + power solution - something basic like the jet pack with audio (or something like the Base I/O with a a more "pro" plug than 3.5mm) I believe it could be a huge thing.

Solo operators, in addition to the camera, will need power, audio in and a headphone jack. Not saying that omitting these is a good idea, but for a lot of solo op situations even CTRL and SYNC won't be needed. (If you're thinking about a cheap/er all in one module, sugar on top would be HDMI to use a cheaper (or secondary) monitor solution like a small HD, since FoolControl is a viable control option without a RED touch display, plus some sort of power out for the gear). The Scarlet-X users have been missing an affordable but pro audio plug solution since day one. (What stuff like the A box from WC tried to solve)

I can't wait to see your line up!

Btw are those 3.5mm in the base I/O screw on plugs?

Short answer .... YES. Loaners and test/demo units of OMOD's with the audio board will go out for validation before shipping.

Long answer .... I am still waiting for the rev 1 of the audio boards - due any day now. As soon as I have it talking to the brain correctly - Gotham Sound in NYC is going to validate the quality of the audio signals for me. When they are happy - I'll field test.

I am considering doing an analogue only version without the mechanical push to operate knobs - which is lower cost - and can be fit in smaller OMODs - but I want to see the reaction to our "slightly over the top" audio board first.

My take - and I could be wrong - is folks either care a TON about audio - or they don't care at all.

So, since DSMC2 camera have internal scratch mics - I'm starting the OMOD line with no OMOD audio (only internal scratch mics) - or "full tilt boogie" OMOD audio - now ... if folks bitch about the push to operate and size, etc. and price (bitching about price? could it happen??) ... I can scale back and make a solution in-between internal scratch audio and top of line internal digital/analog with high end pre-amps. But I wanna see how people react to our high end option first.

Jake Wilganowski
01-21-2016, 05:58 AM
Mark can omod work both with and without the base expander?

Michael Maes
01-21-2016, 06:34 AM
Sounds great! - No pun intended ;)

Solo operators, in addition to the camera, will need power, audio in and a headphone jack. Not saying that omitting these is a good idea, but for a lot of solo op situations even CTRL and SYNC won't be needed. (If you're thinking about a cheap/er all in one module, sugar on top would be HDMI to use a cheaper (or secondary) monitor solution like a small HD, since FoolControl is a viable control option without a RED touch display, plus some sort of power out for the gear). The Scarlet-X users have been missing an affordable but pro audio plug solution since day one. (What stuff like the A box from WC tried to solve)

I can't wait to see your line up!

Btw are those 3.5mm in the base I/O screw on plugs?

3.5mm in the base I/O are NOT screw on plugs (and stereo instead of L+R).
I agree with Patrick. Even in my own situation I could benefit from various setups.
> Filming underwater I just need power and 1 audio channel for the hydrophone.
> Filming on the pack ice in the Arctic, low and close to a (skittish) animal, I want to be as light and compact as possible – hell, I'd even leave the monitor/evf off if I could
> Filming "studio", I want all options as weight and volume is of lesser worry

BTW: the WC A-box worked great on my Dragons. A bit bulky, but better then fragile mini-jacks.

Michael Maes
01-21-2016, 06:35 AM
+1 'Without' I would love that very much :-)

Kip Evans
01-21-2016, 06:54 AM
Could not agree more. If you're a solo shooter, or do a lot of natural history field work, than having a compact I/O with XLR would be the ideal situation. I've been using the A-box for a long time and would love to have a clean XLR connection at affordable price. It's been an ongoing frustration for way too long. I use an external recorder for important interviews, but it's time consuming to sync audio in post. Waiting and watching for the perfect solution Mark!

Nathan DuMoulin
01-21-2016, 07:01 AM

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/t31.0-8/12339619_10153330532855415_1579603141928987414_o.j pg

This should answer if it can work "without". ;)

And here's some more info from the other OMOD thread, regarding the audio abilities:

No you can't "stack" modules. But the "Audio Only" OMOD module has 1 x HDMI, 1x SDI, CRTL + AUX PWR 2-pin Lemos + 4-pin AUX PWR/RunSTOP, USB power & TC IN. So, not sure why you would want a Base Expander.

And the "audio" is not just two full size XLRs - it's a serious audio board - AES/Analog/LINE/Mic/Limiters/Pre-Amps/push-to-operate controls/LED meters/LED peak indicators

EDIT: Looking at the above picture.... dear god Scarlet-W is going to look hideous with the duo tone colors of the camera, and then the entirely different finish on the OMOD. Mark, any chance the final product will match the black finish on the Weapon? Function before fashion so it is what it is, but it doesn't hurt to hope. :)

Mark George
01-21-2016, 07:58 AM
Thanks for doing the research and confirming, Nathan. I really appreciate how helpful you are on this forum!

Nathan DuMoulin
01-21-2016, 08:18 AM
Thanks for doing the research and confirming, Nathan. I really appreciate how helpful you are on this forum!

I appreciate the kind words, however I'm pretty sure that I'm more of a nuisance than anything. I also tend to be wrong more often than not. :p

Anyway, as far as OMOD goes, I'm just a big fan of what Mark is trying to accomplish (and seemingly doing so successfully). I know he's gone through countless changes and refinements, so hopefully he can shed a little more light on the current iterations once he gets online. Like everyone else, I'm eager to hear more. :)

Alex Bros
01-21-2016, 11:21 AM
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the OMODz will ONLY work WITHOUT another expander (ie the Base IO).

Heh it's funny, I actually kinda miss the dual tone of my old Scarlet X (3 years ago), the way it looked kinda like a Franken-Camera. As if I built it/modded it myself in my secret evil laboratory/basement...

Colin Nusbaum
01-21-2016, 01:53 PM
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the OMODz will ONLY work WITHOUT another expander (ie the Base IO).

Heh it's funny, I actually kinda miss the dual tone of my old Scarlet X (3 years ago), the way it looked kinda like a Franken-Camera. As if I built it/modded it myself in my secret evil laboratory/basement...

While I wasn't an owner myself... I agree with this actually. Something about the dual tone gives it a real DIY, throwback, swiss army knife appeal.

Mark L. Pederson
01-22-2016, 03:03 AM
While I wasn't an owner myself... I agree with this actually. Something about the dual tone gives it a real DIY, throwback, swiss army knife appeal.

Yup. It really grows on you. Especially with an OMOD attached to the back :) I'm really looking forward to my initial Scarlet-W's. I actually think the Scarlet-W will be a much bigger deal than the original Scarlet. 4.5K RAW + ProRes at that price is pretty crazy. You can't shoot RAW + ProRes at the same time on anything from SONY or CANON or Panasonic. And in order to shoot RAW and ProRes on an ARRI camera at the same time - will set you back 6+ times the cost of a Scarlet-W with a resolution hit.

Weapon 8K at a sub-$100,000 price point is highly disruptive. But Scarlet-W at it's price point is INSANELY disruptive IMO. It's like RED ONE disruptive IMO.

Patrick Grossien
01-22-2016, 04:36 AM
Yup. It really grows on you. Especially with an OMOD attached to the back :) I'm really looking forward to my initial Scarlet-W's. I actually think the Scarlet-W will be a much bigger deal than the original Scarlet. 4.5K RAW + ProRes at that price is pretty crazy. You can't shoot RAW + ProRes at the same time on anything from SONY or CANON or Panasonic. And in order to shoot RAW and ProRes on an ARRI camera at the same time - will set you back 6+ times the cost of a Scarlet-W with a resolution hit.

Weapon 8K at a sub-$100,000 price point is highly disruptive. But Scarlet-W at it's price point is INSANELY disruptive IMO. It's like RED ONE disruptive IMO.

+1

I don't want to badmouth my own Scarlet-X and now Scarlet-Dragon, but actually the Scarlet-W is the camera I and a lot of others were waiting for. This thing is sick.
(Although the 6K on the Scarlet-Dragon is a huge plus for Stills, Stop-Motion and Time-lapse.) But especially the 4.5K is something I've been missing - and 5K @ 50fps + 9:1RC ... oh man..!

Too bad I can't afford the switch for now after jumping onto the Dragon upgrade. Holding out would have been the smarter move.

Mark L. Pederson
01-22-2016, 02:18 PM
+1

I don't want to badmouth my own Scarlet-X and now Scarlet-Dragon, but actually the Scarlet-W is the camera I and a lot of others were waiting for. This thing is sick.
(Although the 6K on the Scarlet-Dragon is a huge plus for Stills, Stop-Motion and Time-lapse.) But especially the 4.5K is something I've been missing - and 5K @ 50fps + 9:1RC ... oh man..!

Too bad I can't afford the switch for now after jumping onto the Dragon upgrade. Holding out would have been the smarter move.

Got this question emailed to me - figured I'd post the answer here:

"When will the Tx modules be ready/available? Is the plan still that they only work with OH battery modules?"

Two initial OMOD TX units -

OMOD TX MR (medium range) - works with BOTH Teradek 600 RX units and also PARALINX ARROW-X RX units.

OMOD TX LR (long range) - works with BOTH Teradek 2000 RX units and also PARALINX TOMAHAWK RX units.

They lock directly onto the back of OMOD with 4 M4 screws. No wires. Any RED DSMC2 or RED approved 3rd Party DSMC2 battery module bolts onto the back of the OMOD TX.

We are tracking to be shipping OMOD TX units by NAB. Maybe sooner. Prices should be $100 more than Teradek 600 and 2000 TX units respectively.

We are making our own battery modules that work with and without OMODs. V-Mount is coming first - because it's easier :) Gold Mount OMOD Battery Module will follow the V-Mount about a month after.

Showing them at NAB - MAYBE shipping at the same time - at least the V-Mount version. And YES they have 3-pin Fishers.

Ben Graham
01-22-2016, 03:14 PM
Hi Mark, will the omod for Epic Dragon also have the TX module and the Mini Motor controller?

Mark L. Pederson
01-22-2016, 03:24 PM
Hi Mark, will the omod for Epic Dragon also have the TX module and the Mini Motor controller?

Short answer - yes.

Long answer - OMOD for EPIC Dragon (non DSMC2 cameras) are going to come after the DSMC2 modules start shipping. It is actually MUCH harder mechanically to do the EPIC stuff than the DSMC2 stuff - so, I can only really make only 1 or maybe 2 different versions of the non-DSMC2 OMODs.

After we start shipping OMODs (very soon) I'll take a POLL and lock down the non DSMC2 versions - and then we can fast track production on those as it's "only" a mechanical pain in the ass :)

Andrei Goaga
01-25-2016, 02:32 AM
So, Mark, will there be an Omod Tx for short range that will pair with a Bolt 300 reciever?

Thanks

Mark L. Pederson
01-25-2016, 03:55 AM
So, Mark, will there be an Omod Tx for short range that will pair with a Bolt 300 reciever?

Thanks

No, sorry.

The short range units present the challenge that the antenna is on the PCB itself - instead of a SMA connector allowing you to move the antenna anywhere you want and swap antennas to to larger /longer ones - which is why you have that plastic "cover" on the 300. In our tests antenna placement and gain is rather critical since a fully loaded OMOD is a a lot of RF radios hugging each other :) So, it would take a lot of extra mechanical effort to do this and it would be highly compromised.

Also, 600 or ARROW-X really destroy the 300 with respect to reliability.

Andrei Goaga
01-25-2016, 04:15 AM
Ok, got it!

So for the most entry level system we might be looking at 2500 USD for the omod + 3500 USD for the Omod TX?

Mark L. Pederson
01-25-2016, 04:29 AM
Ok, got it!

So for the most entry level system we might be looking at 2500 USD for the omod + 3500 USD for the Omod TX?

OMOD TX MR is $3299 MSRP - so, yeah - you are about right. You can save some loot if you don't already own 600 RX / ARROW-X RX units buy getting the SIDEKICK - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1188994-REG/teradek_10_0915_sidekick_sdi_wireless_video.html which is an RX unit that works in short range (300') and will pair with BOLT 300, 600 and 2000 RX units.

Andrei Goaga
01-25-2016, 05:08 AM
OMOD TX MR is $3299 MSRP - so, yeah - you are about right. You can save some loot if you don't already own 600 RX / ARROW-X RX units buy getting the SIDEKICK - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1188994-REG/teradek_10_0915_sidekick_sdi_wireless_video.html which is an RX unit that works in short range (300') and will pair with BOLT 300, 600 and 2000 RX units.

With the sidekick you will still be looking at around 5400 USD for the wireless video system.

So people that are looking for a more budget friendly solution I think will have to pass on the nice Omod-type integration with the body and go with a Paralinx ACE for almost 1/3rd the price. Or even an independent Bolt 300 TX-RX solution that is half the price.

Mark L. Pederson
01-25-2016, 05:31 AM
With the sidekick you will still be looking at around 5400 USD for the wireless video system.

So people that are looking for a more budget friendly solution I think will have to pass on the nice Omod-type integration with the body and go with a Paralinx ACE for almost 1/3rd the price. Or even an independent Bolt 300 TX-RX solution that is half the price.

Understood. If we can find a way to offer an OMOD TX solution in the ACE ballpark - we will - but antenna can't be on the PCB like the low cost solutions. It is easier to get the high end solutions up and running and then go down stream a bit - than the other way around :)

Andrei Goaga
01-25-2016, 05:44 AM
Understood. If we can find a way to offer an OMOD TX solution in the ACE ballpark - we will - but antenna can't be on the PCB like the low cost solutions. It is easier to get the high end solutions up and running and then go down stream a bit - than the other way around :)

If that would be something possible in the future, that will be a huge driving force for the OMOD system. Thank you!

Andrei Goaga
01-26-2016, 03:30 AM
Also, this has been asked once but I couldn't find the answer: Will the older Bolt Pro RX work with any OMOD Tx variants?

Mark L. Pederson
01-26-2016, 03:41 AM
Also, this has been asked once but I couldn't find the answer: Will the older Bolt Pro RX work with any OMOD Tx variants?
Teradek has three modules in the "BOLT Pro" line up:

BOLT Pro 300 (short range) - no planned OMOD support - but we are trying to figure out a "budget" solution for OMOD TX.

BOLT Pro 600 (medium range) - works with OMOD TX MR (also pairs with PARALINX ARROW-X RX units)
BOLT Pro 2000 (long range) - works with OMOD TX LR (also pairs with PARALINX TOMAHAWK RX units)

Andrei Goaga
01-26-2016, 05:15 AM
Teradek has three modules in the "BOLT Pro" line up:

BOLT Pro 300 (short range) - no planned OMOD support - but we are trying to figure out a "budget" solution for OMOD TX.

BOLT Pro 600 (medium range) - works with OMOD TX MR (also pairs with PARALINX ARROW-X RX units)
BOLT Pro 2000 (long range) - works with OMOD TX LR (also pairs with PARALINX TOMAHAWK RX units)

Yes, this is the current line-up, I was refering to the old Bolt: http://www.holdan.co.uk/Teradek/Wireless+Links/Bolt+Pro

Mark L. Pederson
01-26-2016, 05:20 AM
Yes, this is the current line-up, I was refering to the old Bolt: http://www.holdan.co.uk/Teradek/Wireless+Links/Bolt+Pro

That is an older, jankier version of the 300 - short range. Antenna on PCB. We won't/can't support this.

We will try to find a budget solution which requires antenna to be mounted off of the PCB.

Ben Scott
01-26-2016, 11:19 PM

Just to add, there's a gazillion of us out there who for day to day work want/need the same basic functionality and audio quality you might find in an FS7 or C300; which is to say a couple of XLRs, a preamp and a headphone socket so we can use our wireless Lavs and shotgun mics. Add in HDMI/SDI/USB/TC input and I am completely set. I neither require nor can afford an all-singing all-dancing top of the line audiophile audio board, but pretty much every Red owner I know would buy an inexpensive model with decent XLRs and a decent preamp in a heartbeat. Mechanical knobs would be a bonus :)

Mark L. Pederson
01-27-2016, 03:53 PM
Just to add, there's a gazillion of us out there who for day to day work want/need the same basic functionality and audio quality you might find in an FS7 or C300; which is to say a couple of XLRs, a preamp and a headphone socket so we can use our wireless Lavs and shotgun mics. Add in HDMI/SDI/USB/TC input and I am completely set. I neither require nor can afford an all-singing all-dancing top of the line audiophile audio board, but pretty much every Red owner I know would buy an inexpensive model with decent XLRs and a decent preamp in a heartbeat. Mechanical knobs would be a bonus :)

This is exactly the OMOD XLR - $2499

But you also get the all-singing all-dancing top of the line audiophile audio board. Honestly, I would have to put in a lot of work to make something less expensive - and it it would not be much less than this price anyway. There are certain inherent costs to just make any module that interfaces with the camera and terminates with an interface for DSMC2 Battery Modules.

But sure, after all the initial OMODs are shipping - I can take a breath - and see how the community and market reacts to our initial offerings - and see if we missed a price point / features set that can be realistically achieved.