PDA

View Full Version : Announcing Element Technica V-Lock Module for Weapon

Jarred Land
04-15-2015, 12:39 AM
$900. Email sales@elementtechnica.com to order. Available in AB Mount as well.

http://www.redgrabs.com/up/1429148653.jpg

http://www.redgrabs.com/up/1429129279.jpg

Jordan Buck
04-15-2015, 12:42 AM
Perrrrfect exactly what I needed!

David Battistella
04-15-2015, 12:43 AM
that is very cool!

Was wondering when that would turn up...

Quick question.

What is the locking mechanism for the Weapon? Same as the EPIC with the screw on the bottom?

Phil Holland
04-15-2015, 12:45 AM
100% ordering that.

Also, here's a shot of the AB Mount attached to Weapon at the RED booth at NAB 2015:

http://www.artbyphil.com/temp/reduser/phfx_REDWeaponNAB2015_ETABMount.jpg
(http://www.artbyphil.com/temp/reduser/phfx_REDWeaponNAB2015_ETABMount.jpg)
Really nice and solid design. ET always makes quality gear.

Raphael Varandas
04-15-2015, 01:04 AM
Sweet!

Björn Benckert
04-15-2015, 01:08 AM
Sure there will be more of those if red lets others tap into the the back of the brain, no?

Eric Hines
04-15-2015, 01:22 AM
Very nice! I was hoping for an easy AB mount. Here it is!

Phil Holland
04-15-2015, 01:24 AM
Very nice! I was hoping for an easy AB mount. Here it is!

I played with the lock mechanism today a good amount. It's bang on.

ignition
04-15-2015, 04:33 AM
Epic! Oh, wait... we can't technically say that anymore without generating confusion :)

Perfectly Weaponized, then. Definitely on our to-buy list. Tx ET!

Taylor Morrison
04-15-2015, 04:42 AM
Speaking of batteries...has there been any info on relative power consumption from the Weapon? Similar to Epic Dragon?

Thanks

Christoffer Glans
04-15-2015, 04:44 AM
I'm curious. Since some modules for Epic Dragon work on the Weapon, wouldn't these third party modules work on Epic Dragon as well, not just Weapon?

Patrick Grossien
04-15-2015, 06:57 AM
Do these battery modules go either on the back of the brain or on any module, or do they need a module in between?

Mark Andersen
04-15-2015, 07:04 AM
Pretty sure "in between modules" are a thing of the past, one of the main agenda items in the new design.

Julio Quintana
04-15-2015, 07:09 AM
Is this a Weapon only item or does it work with the Epic/Scarlet bodies as well?

martinnoweck
04-15-2015, 07:11 AM
second that question.

PatrickFaith
04-15-2015, 07:17 AM
I'm curious. Since some modules for Epic Dragon work on the Weapon, wouldn't these third party modules work on Epic Dragon as well, not just Weapon?
I asked the same question to the ET guys in the red booth when I saw the gold mount ... The weapon version is specific to weapon. Also btw with the New Anton Bauer batteries, I think the batteries bottom will probably drop bellow the camera. I will for sure be buying the ET gold mount, it also looks and feels like red gear ... Not some add on.

Alex Bros
04-15-2015, 08:06 AM
Add two P-taps and a DC input and it's absolutely perfect.

I know how Jared feels about p-taps but sometimes you rent accessories that only come with a p-tap cable and there's no time to get a cable made, not to mention the expense. Options are good right?

Matthew J
04-15-2015, 08:18 AM

I know how Jared feels about p-taps but sometimes you rent accessories that only come with a p-tap cable and there's no time to get a cable made, not to mention the expense. Options are good right?

Yes, yes, yes.

Alex Bros
04-15-2015, 08:27 AM
Wait the AB version only works with the new Anton Bauer batteries?

Diego Querzoli
04-15-2015, 08:30 AM
ordered 2!

thanks!

Mike Quill
04-15-2015, 08:31 AM
Awesome. An extra $1k just to be able to power your camera.

PatrickFaith
04-15-2015, 08:32 AM
Wait the AB version only works with the new Anton Bauer batteries?

No, any gold mount should work, but the new anto Bauer batteries ride fairly low ... So some peoples camera mounting to rig options might not work. This is the nice thing about the new red xl mount, is the battery sits nicely behind the camera.

Phil Holland
04-15-2015, 08:36 AM
Speaking of batteries...has there been any info on relative power consumption from the Weapon? Similar to Epic Dragon?

Thanks

Seems to be pretty similar to Epic Dragon in terms of power draw and up time. REDVOLT XL batteries are getting an hour and half-ish on time.

Do these battery modules go either on the back of the brain or on any module, or do they need a module in between?

No more module adapters on Weapon. This attaches straight to the brain or after any of the Expander Modules.

Is this a Weapon only item or does it work with the Epic/Scarlet bodies as well?

Weapon only.

Likely not going to happen. Especially on a series of bodies like this.

Alex Bros
04-15-2015, 08:36 AM
Oh ok.
In that case I'll order one the second they add P-taps and a DC in

Kyle Wullschleger
04-15-2015, 08:46 AM
Do we know how the power draw on Weapon compares to the Epic?

Taylor Morrison
04-15-2015, 08:59 AM
Thank you Phil.

Although I never got 1 and 1/2 hour run time on a Red Volt XL. Likely around 1 hour but that was an Epix MX. I have not powered my Dragon with the RedVolt XL

Taylor

Phil Holland
04-15-2015, 09:05 AM
Thank you Phil.

Although I never got 1 and 1/2 hour run time on a Red Volt XL. Likely around 1 hour but that was an Epix MX. I have not powered my Dragon with the RedVolt XL

Taylor

I've gotten 80 minutes out of one and a bit more on Dragon. Weapon seems to be the same or better slightly.

I don't even know if RED has attempted power tuning on Weapon yet. Still the early days. They might be able to squeak out a bit more out of them.

Christopher*Seguine
04-15-2015, 09:28 AM
Any Photos of V-Mount battery on the body?

With the shorter body and LCD mounting point seems like V-mounts will either obscure the LCD or block the rear lower vents.

How do the battery plates attach, screws or quick release?

Ruff
04-15-2015, 09:44 AM
How does the battery slide onto the plate with the new weapon top handle there?

I saw it at NAB with the AB Mount, and it did not look like a v mount would fit in there.

Any pictures of the full set up?

Phil Holland
04-15-2015, 09:46 AM
How does the battery slide onto the plate with the new weapon top handle there?

I saw it at NAB with the AB Mount, and it did not look like a v mount would fit in there.

Any pictures of the full set up?

I also had that concern a bit when using the new Top Handle. There are low profile V-Mounts out there. And I have a feeling RED/ET will come up with another Top Handle style thing at some point.

However, I think if you add something like the REDVOLT Expander and the ET V-Mount plate you'll be clear of the handle.

Phil Holland
04-15-2015, 09:47 AM
Any Photos of V-Mount battery on the body?

With the shorter body and LCD mounting point seems like V-mounts will either obscure the LCD or block the rear lower vents.

How do the battery plates attach, screws or quick release?

Doesn't look like it goes below the rear and blocks the vents.

The AB and V-Mount Modules attach to the brain or other modules with bolts.

Björn Benckert
04-15-2015, 09:48 AM

Not compatible as long as red does not make some sort of "bridge module". different camera backs...

Andreas Mendritzki
04-15-2015, 09:49 AM
Looks good.

Jon Carr
04-15-2015, 09:56 AM
Why can't this come with the Weapon upgrade package? So much more useful then the redvolts XL module.

Alex Bros
04-15-2015, 11:50 AM
No offence Phil but I can't see why P-Tap wouldn't be incorporated in this or any level of body. Lemo is better, we all know this, but options are even better still.
I travel a lot for shoots and rent many accessories locally. Sometimes last minute; client requests some kind of specialty shot and we need to quickly source some specialty gear. I don't know if they'll come with a 2-pin (or 4-pin, sigh) Lemo cable, sometimes they do and then I'll use that, but they almost always have a P-tap cable. (great example is the power cable for the Cabrio 19-90 Servo unit... I've never seen one that wasn't P-tap)
A big part of my job is being prepared for anything. Dual P-taps and a DC in will help me do that.

With this my options are:
A) Buy Lemo cables for accessories that I A) don't even own B) don't know if I'll ever even need to use C) Have never even heard about
or
B) Use that fancy Lemo to P-tap splitter from Off Hollywood, which kinda negates the gains in the new Weapon design (less cable clutter). Not even sure how to mount that to Weapon right now...

Why not just incorporate P-taps into the battery plate? Make it a one-off just for me if you have to, I'll pay for it. (I'm certain more people would want this too)
Whatever happened to "the customer is always right"?

Christopher*Seguine
04-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Doesn't look like it goes below the rear and blocks the vents.
The AB and V-Mount Modules attach to the brain or other modules with bolts.

So a v-mount battery would then stick up pretty high compared to the body and be pretty hard to use the LCD in its fixed cable free position.

Probably have to count on using the lemo adapters modules to re-position the LCD if you want to use v-mount batteries on board?

Jordan Buck
04-15-2015, 03:03 PM
No P tap might be the decider for me, that makes no sense, I have always powered TV logic, WFF, teradek, almost everything through it.
Hopefully a few other people quickly make V mount backs that have a ptap on it.

Ruff
04-15-2015, 06:06 PM
Thanks Phil, my thoughts as well. For me, it's pretty important to have a V-Mount go straight onto the back of the camera without adding extra modules.

I also had this issue with 2 pin lemo only and travelling and needing to put P-Tap power out. A solution I found was a splitter cable made by Letus.
It's been quite useful, and now travels with me.

Jeffrey Loewe
04-15-2015, 06:15 PM
Curious, If you decide to go this route instead of say a RV XL module, can you reassign that portion of your order to something of similar value?

PatrickFaith
04-15-2015, 06:26 PM
Curious, If you decide to go this route instead of say a RV XL module, can you reassign that portion of your order to something of similar value?
I wish, I will ask tomorrow mourning ;) all my batteries are gold mount nowadays, so would be nice (I have had bad luck on all 4 of my volt batteries and two chargers). Btw having ET and guys like that in the red booth is great, and is so nice that abelcine is involved since I can buy my et stuff through abelcine. It's a whole new extended family.

Eric Haase
04-15-2015, 07:36 PM
P-Tap would be nice.

Jarred Land
04-16-2015, 02:05 AM
P-Tap would be nice.

I had a meeting with Element Technica today about this... And I think you will get your wish.

I will slowly moonwalk away from my embargo over the P-Tap after all of these years and go find another janky connector to shake my stick at :)

Raphael Varandas
04-16-2015, 02:22 AM
I had a meeting with Element Technica today about this... And I think you will get your wish.

I will slowly moonwalk away from my embargo over the P-Tap after all of these years and go find another janky connector to shake my stick at :)

Hahahah moonwalk away was brilliant. just wondering...

Björn Benckert
04-16-2015, 02:30 AM

I will slowly moonwalk away from my embargo over the P-Tap after all of these years and go find another janky socket to shake my stick at :)

I dont like the P-tap but I actually cut off all our lemo power cables and bought a bunch of male/female connectors and turned every lemo cable into something that also work as a lemo to P-tap adapter.

After that it´s no more fuss, I can get from 2pin lemo to 4pin lemo or 2pin to Ptap or Ptap to lemo etc. And haivng a little set of male female Ptap connectors on the middle of each cable is not to desturbing and only cost a few dollars each. The modularity it provides is well worth it.

The clients like it, I can stay sane when I travel and get my stuff mixed with gear that I´m not in control over, those little plastic connectors have saved me a lot of sleep. And when I manage to connect them with the wrong polarity the epic puts up a waring and shuts down, change and it works fine. So in that regard it seams that it does not need to be handled with to much worries.

Eric Haase
04-16-2015, 02:31 AM

Great news.
May I suggest HDMI? :)

James Falco
04-16-2015, 02:32 AM
Speaking of P-tab.

There is also this: https://offhollywoodny.com/store/hottap/hottap-2/

https://offhollywoodny.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/hottap.jpg

Mark L. Pederson
04-16-2015, 06:29 AM

ET can do a P-TAP CORRECTLY just like we did. The "janky-ness" about P-Tap connectors is due to the fact that Anton Bauer and others do shitty, plastic injection molded parts on the FEMALE receptacles. If you do it right - which ET can do - it's all good.

Alex Bros
04-16-2015, 06:36 AM
Thanks Jarred, I had a feeling someone would understand. Placing an order as soon as I can. (Still think it would be good to have a DC in as well just like the XL Module... XLR or Lemo)

nick allsop
04-16-2015, 07:17 AM
+1 This would be great as i have no XL batteries.

brian leisring
04-16-2015, 07:21 AM
+1 This would be great as i have no XL batteries.

+1, or just the option to switch it with this module.

Alex Bros
04-16-2015, 07:46 AM
+1, or just the option to switch it with this module.

+1 or just get a credit to use on something else.

I have a feeling the XL Module is gonna be pretty good, but it'll be like the Side Handle or Quadmodule: people either love it or hate it. The fact that it trickle-charges is really nice...
What sucks is not having a choice about getting one.
It's like an awkward stepchild that you never wanted, you hate it 'cause it was forced on you. (no offence to any step-people...)
I just don't want to invest in XL's when I already have batteries and there's better things I can spend my money on.

This ET battery module is what 75%(probably more) of customers want, not the XL Module.

Tom Greenberg
04-16-2015, 07:50 AM
+1 on this...I have to agree that as slick as the XL module is, the last thing I want is to have to invest in quantities of yet another type of battery. I (like many others) have a boatload of Anton Bauers...don't really need a boatload of XL's too.

Jon Carr
04-16-2015, 08:00 AM

I have a feeling the XL Module is gonna be pretty good, but it'll be like the Side Handle or Quadmodule: people either love it or hate it. The fact that it trickle-charges is really nice...
It's like an awkward stepchild that you never wanted, you hate it 'cause it was forced on you. (no offence to any step-people...)
I just don't want to invest in XL's when I already have batteries and there's better things I can spend my money on.

This ET battery module is what 75%(probably more) of customers want, not the XL Module.
+1 the first I'm gonna do is sell the XL module when it comes. But hopefully it won't be as bad of a sell as the quad module is to resell. As all I need is the Redvolt expander with the ET v-lock module for everything but movi stuff. Then I would use the jet pack if they can do a sdi out.

Joe Kleber
04-16-2015, 08:24 AM
+1. ...guessing this would make a lot of RED users VERY happy.

Ruff
04-16-2015, 08:31 AM
One of the great little accessories I found at NAB was a P Tap connector from Lentequip.

It lights up Red if the polarity is wrong, and green if it is correct.

For me, it could be a 'must have' accessory.

Nobody likes the P Tap. It has a lot of problems, but unfortunately it is so entrenched in the industry, that we do have to work with it.

I admire how Red has tried to change this, but the realities are that we have to find a way to work with it.

Jarred Land
04-16-2015, 08:43 AM

Nothing is forced on you at all... I don't understand this statement.

Are you talking about the XL module in the upgrade bundle, that you are getting for free?

Wow...

Alex Bros
04-16-2015, 08:56 AM
You're right. It's just wishful thinking.

My Dad, who grew up in communist Poland has a saying (roughly translated):
"When they're giving, take. When they're taking, run."

Which is kinda the Iron Curtain way of saying "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

Jordan Buck
04-16-2015, 10:25 AM
It seems a lot of people haven't realised that the price of weapon MG would be the same without these accessories, not sure people realise there getting the handle XL etc. thrown in with the body.

Brent made this very clear in another thread when working out what you are really getting vs how much your spending etc.

I for one am grateful for the accessories.

Are you talking about the XL module in the upgrade bundle, that you are getting for free?

Wow...

Patrick Grossien
04-16-2015, 12:50 PM

Wow...
As Jordan said, I'm also pretty sure that a lot of people don't relize how many "goodies" they are being offered by the upgrade. Maybe that's a good idea for your visualization, too as a comparison. I assume it's not obvious enough for a lot of people

Luke K
04-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Hmmmmm, somewhat debating whether or not to buy this nice little accessory :blush5:

Gavin Greenwalt
04-16-2015, 01:09 PM
No P tap might be the decider for me, that makes no sense, I have always powered TV logic, WFF, teradek, almost everything through it.

This would have been my opinion 2 months ago, but I just ordered a bunch of $20 2-pin Lemo cables which was less than I would pay for P-Tap. Maybe we need a group buy to fully convert over to 2-pin lemo? I mostly just need Lemo to barrel. Ironically the $20 cables were P-Tap to 2-pin so I would imagine barrel cables are even cheaper. The problem isn't intrinsically Lemo the price was my objection to lack of P-tap. P-Tap at $20 was preferable to me over Lemo at $120. However with cheap 2-pin cables available now I think it might make sense to drop my crusade to add P-Tap to everything haha. ;)

Matthew J
04-16-2015, 01:13 PM
This would have been my opinion 2 months ago, but I just ordered a bunch of $20 2-pin Lemo cables which was less than I would pay for P-Tap. Maybe we need a group buy to fully convert over to 2-pin lemo? I mostly just need Lemo to barrel. Ironically the $20 cables were P-Tap to 2-pin so I would imagine barrel cables are even cheaper. The problem isn't intrinsically Lemo the price was my objection to lack of P-tap. P-Tap at $20 was preferable to me over Lemo at $120. However with cheap 2-pin cables available now I think it might make sense to drop my crusade to add P-Tap to everything haha. ;)

I am guessing those aren't LEMO brand connectors are they?

Gavin Greenwalt
04-16-2015, 01:30 PM
I am guessing those aren't LEMO brand connectors are they?

No but they're still arguably better than a plastic P-Tap plug. ;) And it's still 1/6th the price of the official ones.

John Marchant
04-16-2015, 01:38 PM
DO watch out with off brand 2-pin lemos. I've seen it happen where you can rotate the internals 180 when the sleeve is pulled back hard - I had a FF refusing to power part way through a job and traced it to a 2-pin 'lemo' that had magically changed polarity.

Jarred Land
04-16-2015, 02:21 PM

Hey Jordan don't worry you are now getting both. And yes... Every single product you just mentioned there people have inserted P-taps in backwards and blown up in quite often fantastic displays of smoke and fire. Even worse its a 3 way compounding danger.. even if you make the best solid metal port on the camera side and put a fuse in and ground the world, just one cheap cable or one cheap accessory in the path down the line throws all that protection out the window.

Which of course is user error. And we all mistakes. But you would be incredibly shocked at the number of people who blow shit up and then proceed to call RED and try and convince us to fix their busted 3rd party stuff like it was our fault. Or when they do it on set and it brings down the entire production they point to our camera and then go hide on the roof.

But lets see how it goes... maybe the world has learned. I know the quality of the P-tap ports on pro devices is alot better now than it was 10 years ago so lets give it a chance.

Gavin Greenwalt
04-16-2015, 02:30 PM
DO watch out with off brand 2-pin lemos. I've seen it happen where you can rotate the internals 180 when the sleeve is pulled back hard - I had a FF refusing to power part way through a job and traced it to a 2-pin 'lemo' that had magically changed polarity.

Which is why this would solve all of the problems with both cheap "lemo" and P-Tap.

http://provideyourown.com/wp-content/uploads/tech/p-ch-fet-circuit-300x252.png

Polarity Protection

I'm not sure why more electronics don't include this. Especially "professional" gear. If it's plugged in backwards, having the gear fried means you engineered the electronic device poorly, not the cable. For a couple cents polarity protection should be all but mandatory. I would rather have a microscopic amount of vampire power loss than the risk of a critical piece of gear fizzing out hours from a replacement.

Jordan Buck
04-16-2015, 05:11 PM
Hey Jordan don't worry you are now getting both. And yes... Every single product you just mentioned there people have inserted P-taps in backwards and blown up in quite often fantastic displays of smoke and fire. Even worse its a 3 way compounding danger.. even if you make the best solid metal port on the camera side and put a fuse in and ground the world, just one cheap cable or one cheap accessory in the path down the line throws all that protection out the window.

Which of course is user error. And we all mistakes. But you would be incredibly shocked at the number of people who blow shit up and then proceed to call RED and try and convince us to fix their busted 3rd party stuff like it was our fault. Or when they do it on set and it brings down the entire production they point to our camera and then go hide on the roof.

But lets see how it goes... maybe the world has learned. I know the quality of the P-tap ports on pro devices is alot better now than it was 10 years ago so lets give it a chance.

Thank you for listening though - it really keeps me here the fact that you guys read this stuff.

Unfortunately I am one of those people, although it was an AC that used a wrong polarity cable causing my power board to blow through a teradek. Thank god productions insurance shelled out!
Might I add as well I was incredibly impressed with how quickly you guys fixed my camera.

Matthew J
05-12-2015, 03:31 PM
Just in case anyone needed the store link for this: https://elementtechnica.com/product/w-v-mount-battery-module/

Kemalettin Sert
05-13-2015, 03:12 AM
There is something called Twist D-Tap
Twist-D-Tap: Only bebob batteries offer the unique bebob Twist-D-Tap. This rainproof socket allows you to plug a D-Tap connector into the battery with your choice of cable trailing from the left or right.

you cant go wrong with these one :)

Andy White
05-13-2015, 03:45 AM
There is something called Twist D-Tap
Twist-D-Tap: Only bebob batteries offer the unique bebob Twist-D-Tap. This rainproof socket allows you to plug a D-Tap connector into the battery with your choice of cable trailing from the left or right.

you cant go wrong with these one :)

Do the Bebob batteries show charge/power on the Epic Dragon?

Kemalettin Sert
05-13-2015, 04:11 AM
Do the Bebob batteries show charge/power on the Epic Dragon?

dont know about that but sure they have come up very bright idea on Dtap
http://i.imgur.com/zOLKg2S.jpg

Matthew J
07-13-2015, 05:54 AM
Any updates on these shipping? I know Weapons aren't shipping yet, but it would be nice to already have this in hand when the weapon arrives.

Jeff Garton
07-21-2015, 08:59 AM
On June 24th ET told me "early August".

Elsie N
07-21-2015, 02:08 PM

Just for clarity's sake... ET isn't considered 3rd party.... right?

EDIT: A 2 1/2 party then?

NEW EDIT: I'm going with 2nd party.

roryhinds
07-22-2015, 11:27 PM
Is the DC input on the Weapon the same as that on the Epic Dragon?