PDA

View Full Version : New RED Viewfinder

Jordan Buck
04-16-2015, 05:35 PM
Something spotted on Instagram, has there been any more info on this?

Love the way it attaches to that second wire free zone on the side, totally makes sense why that is where it is now.
Anyone have any more info/images?

Couple of other evident things - I need to charge my phone and I need to go to bed.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t147/icebergnsb/IMG_1675_zps7uscs6yq.png

Sofiane Benabdallah
04-16-2015, 05:44 PM
I love the shape.

Mikael Lubtchansky
04-16-2015, 06:48 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/11012903_720081068103282_766100789966937431_o.jpg

Eric Haase
04-16-2015, 06:50 PM
The problem with this position of eyepiece is that it creates a very front heavy handheld camera. On the epic I currently use a third party accessory to move the eyepiece as far forward as possible so that it actually hits the matte box and cannot move any further forward. This places the body squarely on the shoulder and creates a very well balanced camera on the shoulder. The no wires thing is cool for sure but it seems like it's just in the wrong place for a balanced camera.

Eric Haase
04-16-2015, 06:50 PM
Maybe it can be armed out farther forward??

Jordan Buck
04-16-2015, 07:07 PM
I'm sure there will be an adaptor to use it with a wire for more adjustment

Phil Holland
04-16-2015, 07:10 PM
The problem with this position of eyepiece is that it creates a very front heavy handheld camera. On the epic I currently use a third party accessory to move the eyepiece as far forward as possible so that it actually hits the matte box and cannot move any further forward. This places the body squarely on the shoulder and creates a very well balanced camera on the shoulder. The no wires thing is cool for sure but it seems like it's just in the wrong place for a balanced camera.

Maybe it can be armed out farther forward??

A great deal of people I know who shoot with RED cameras on their shoulders utilize longer 19mm rods to pass under the camera for matte box and hand grip support. The long rods protrude out and they use a 19mm rod to V-Mount or AB Mount plate that can move back and forth to properly achieve balance on the shoulder. I personally mount the shoulder pad on a dovetail as well and that allows for additional balance.

Not really an issue in my mind. Never really has been. It's just a creative rigging conundrum that we all solve seemingly in similar ways.

Isaac Marchionna
04-16-2015, 07:21 PM
Will this work with Epics? Hopefully they've realized the market has changed and EVFs have gotten more affordable with great quality. If this costs more than 3000 I'll barf. Hopefully I don't barf.

Bobby Farokhzad
04-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Are there any differences in sharpness and brightness compared to the previous OLED model or is this just a redesigned EVF?

Matthew J
04-16-2015, 07:48 PM
I really don't understand why anyone still does actual handheld when there is the easyrig. It's especially helpful for people like me who are super tall (6'4) and there's no way to shoot most stuff handheld.

Phil Holland
04-16-2015, 07:51 PM
I really don't understand why anyone still does actual handheld when there is the easyrig. It's especially helpful for people like me who are super tall (6'4) and there's no way to shoot most stuff handheld.

Everybody shoots differently :)

Jordan Buck
04-17-2015, 03:41 AM
I completely loose the weight of a camera with an easy rig and the footage has a very different feel in my opinion.

Russ Fill
04-17-2015, 04:05 AM
1080?????

Bob Gundu
04-17-2015, 06:01 AM
I would have loved to test this at the show, but it wasn't connected to a camera.

Kemalettin Sert
04-17-2015, 07:53 AM
Looks like we are gonna 3rd party aks for this one again.
Just look at Alexa EVF and how it mounts on camera then make the same.I just dont understand why Red never gives a shit about shoulder use.

Isaac Marchionna
04-17-2015, 09:21 AM
Looks like we are gonna 3rd party aks for this one again.
Just look at Alexa EVF and how it mounts on camera then make the same.I just dont understand why Red never gives a shit about shoulder use.

Seriously. The AMIRA EVF has become admired for a reason. Frankly the Alexa needs an EVF overhaul and just adapt the Amira EVF to the Alexa. Done. Plus menu controls on that are lovely.

Cid J Salcido Uyarra
04-17-2015, 11:41 AM
Amira EVF is HDMI Mini

So is this new Bomb EVF attached to the Side Panel Ports?

How are you suppose to adjust the EVF if it's mounted on your shoulder?

Curious to see how many people adopt this cable-less system.

Jordan Buck
04-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Just read in another thread jared mentioned that the new EVF is 1080 which is very welcomed news.

Nick Gardner
04-17-2015, 11:59 AM

Because wearing a ridiculous circus rig is seriously limiting as far as mobility and camera placement. Using an easy rig locks you into one way of shooting and makes moving through doors or tight spaces a giant pain in the ass. It basically takes away all of the benefits of shooting hand held and makes you look like a giant dork. Plus all of the girls make fun of you. And it's incredibly dumb. And you look like a dork. And if you think using an easy rig is a good solution to shooting hand held, you don't know what good hand held is. Then there is the whole dork thing. But I digress.........you look like a dork.........

Michael Winokur
04-17-2015, 12:22 PM
Hope there is an upgrade program for the aptly named bomb evf. That thing is a $4000 paper weight.

Alex Bros
04-17-2015, 12:25 PM
Because wearing a ridiculous circus rig is seriously limiting as far as mobility and camera placement. Using an easy rig locks you into one way of shooting and makes moving through doors or tight spaces a giant pain in the ass. It basically takes away all of the benefits of shooting hand held and makes you look like a giant dork. Plus all of the girls make fun of you. And it's incredibly dumb. And you look like a dork. And if you think using an easy rig is a good solution to shooting hand held, you don't know what good hand held is. Then there is the whole dork thing. But I digress.........you look like a dork.........

I disagree, I shot in Yorkville (fancy shopping area in Toronto) once with an easy rig, and the amount of affluent cougars that wanted to talk to me was astounding. Easy rig is awesome for some things, shooting handheld all day (not shoulder mounted... that's boring) is hard, not too many people can do it.

Isaac Marchionna
04-17-2015, 12:30 PM

Nick, I'm getting the feeling you think it's dorky. Am I reading that right?

Nick Gardner
04-17-2015, 12:37 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with that......lots of dorks go on to live mostly productive lives. I did once see a salty old crew of old timers like me take down a camera op wearing an easy rig and strip the flesh from his bones with old soup can lids screaming "Kill him! He insults our profession and diminishes all of us! Is nothing holy!? Save his brain!". But hey, do what you want. Why get good at hand held and you know, be in shape when you can hang a camera off a coat rack strapped to your back. I mean hey, you can hang your slurpy from that too. I'm just saying.....

Nick

Brian F Kobylarz
04-17-2015, 12:39 PM
There are just as many reasons to position the viewfinder at the back of the camera.
Working off a dolly, coupled with a leveling arm, extreme moves or in a really tight location for example.

Jarred Land
04-17-2015, 12:48 PM

You can do that... If you look at the pivot point in the middle fo that connector of the EVF, I made that our actual standard lemo connector. So you can take the EVF off the "mount" and put a standard monitor Lemo cable between the two pieces and have it anywhere you want. That little square thing is a 1/4-20 plate that you can put on multiple sides of the EVF to mount to a Noga arm etc.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/11012903_720081068103282_766100789966937431_o.jpg

Jay Kim
04-17-2015, 12:53 PM
You can do that... If you look at the pivot point in the middle fo that connector of the EVF, I made that our actual standard lemo connector. So you can take the EVF off the "mount" and put a standard monitor Lemo cable between the two pieces and have it anywhere you want. That little square thing is a 1/4-20 plate that you can put on multiple sides of the EVF to mount to a Noga arm etc.

That's cool!

Alex Boothby
04-17-2015, 01:40 PM

Any chance of a "smart" extension arm so that we can remain cable-free while gaining a greater range of placement?

jacob.schwarz
04-17-2015, 01:45 PM
Wow that cool. i might prefer that for my Lemo monitor then the other adapter, i can move it around. Great work guys.

Jacob

Jarred Land
04-17-2015, 02:13 PM
Any chance of a "smart" extension arm so that we can remain cable-free while gaining a greater range of placement?

That sounds just like something Element Technica would make ;)

Paul Schneider
04-17-2015, 02:34 PM
Seriously. The AMIRA EVF has become admired for a reason. Frankly the Alexa needs an EVF overhaul and just adapt the Amira EVF to the Alexa. Done. Plus menu controls on that are lovely.

I did a full (put my eye and scrutinize heavily) hands on review of every eyepiece at NAB. The winner in clarity was the Zacuto Gratical...hands down. The second best was the new Black Magic EVF, which although sported more resolution was none-the-less only about 85% as sharp as the Zacuto. Everything else looked blurry comparatively, especially the Amira EVF, which was really surprising.

Jordan Buck
04-17-2015, 02:35 PM
Im starting to get excited that ET are going to be helping my weapon dreams!

jacob.schwarz
04-17-2015, 02:40 PM
I love that red is focusing on the Camera and ET is focusing on the accessories. Divide and conquer! Jarred and Jim are thinking ahead.

Alex Boothby
04-17-2015, 02:46 PM

That's a great answer! :)

Daniel Kelly Brown
04-17-2015, 05:29 PM
Sure hope this new evf works on Dragon, love the low profile placement of it, and 1080 would be a very welcome upgrade.

Alex Bros
04-17-2015, 06:11 PM
The Amira EVF is pretty terrible IMHO

Jarek Zabczynski
04-17-2015, 10:44 PM
Does this VF exhibit any rainbow effect? I couldn't use the Bomb version cause of that. I know most people don't see that, but I just saw an RGB mess. I guess my eyes have a high refresh rate lol!

Kemalettin Sert
04-18-2015, 12:53 AM
any price hint?

Patrick Tresch
04-18-2015, 04:25 AM
Great it's 1080!
Can we moddify the field of view? This would be a big +

Pat

Sofiane Benabdallah
04-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Wouldn't be surprised to see it cost 4.5k+

Jens Jakob Thorsen
04-18-2015, 01:30 PM

My sentiments EXACTLY!

Cid J Salcido Uyarra
04-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Thx for the pics!

I got a better idea of how this thing works now!

Cool so you can go cable or cable-less much like the touch.

Can't wait to take a peek inside!

Cid J Salcido Uyarra
04-18-2015, 01:32 PM
ET makes the best EVF mounts on the market.

It's what I own for my Bomb EVF....

alexjentz
04-18-2015, 07:11 PM

...very smart mechanical Design of the new Viewfinder, and with the ET Extension looking like a bright future for great fast and flexible Camera Rigging

...and with Jarred's Mention of it supporting next to 1080p also possible native Refresh Rates in another thread its a winner.

Eric Haase
04-18-2015, 07:29 PM

Sounds great. Glad you guys have that covered. The smart extension mount also sounds promising. Get that sucker AS FAR forward as physically possible and without a cable. That would be awesome!

Brett Reynolds
04-18-2015, 07:33 PM
It needs to have a thicker/stronger rubber bellows that will hold a eyepiece chamie.

Kyle Wullschleger
04-18-2015, 08:44 PM
It needs to have a thicker/stronger rubber bellows that will hold a eyepiece chamie.

Yes - please, this.

Marcus Friedlander
04-19-2015, 01:58 PM

+100000 I almost never use a chamie on my bomb EVF because I know it's going to fall off 15 minutes later.

Björn Benckert
04-19-2015, 02:20 PM
Possibly this one has it the feature I think all EVF´s should have. One mouting point and then the possibilty to spin the picture and eye piece 360 degrees. The current vewfinders would have been so much better if the mouting point could be on the upside and right side aswell.

Brian F Kobylarz
04-19-2015, 02:33 PM
Adding a vote for strengthening the rubber bellows - from many years of use, the chamois eye cushions are essential.

Additional "for consideration" request: Might a future accessory include a heater?

Jarred Land
04-19-2015, 02:51 PM
Adding a vote for strengthening the rubber bellows - from many years of use, the chamois eye cushions are essential.

Additional "for consideration" request: Might a future accessory include a heater?

I think you guys are going to be happy... The bellows on the new EVF is swappable without taking along the optics like the bomb evf.

Nick Gardner
04-19-2015, 03:44 PM
There is a really simple and effective way to keep a chamois on there, i'll take a picture next time I get a chance.

Nick

Brian F Kobylarz
04-19-2015, 04:59 PM
I think you guys are going to be happy... The bellows on the new EVF is swappable without taking along the optics like the bomb evf.

Jarred, I like being happy. Thank you!

Jean Déraps
04-19-2015, 05:58 PM
I hope it works better than the current EVF which suffers from stuttering...

Marcus Friedlander
04-20-2015, 01:35 AM
There is a really simple and effective way to keep a chamois on there, i'll take a picture next time I get a chance.

Nick

Please do Nick. I usually tape or velco it down. I really hope your solution is better!!!!

Carl Dieker
04-20-2015, 05:06 AM
And what about the price? :)

steve green
04-20-2015, 07:43 AM

Agree on the rubber needing to be changed to support a chamois.

Also, never had much love for the Noga Arm for the eyepiece......you never can trust what you're seeing is level, especially while hand held. As soon as you press against the eyepiece everything changes.

Carl Dieker
04-22-2015, 12:59 AM

I am still using the original RED PRO EVF (not the Bomb EVF but the 2007) on my Epic. It paired with the excellent Artic Shield-X heat coating:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?41156-ARCTIC-X-EVF-Heater-Ships-Next-Week!&p=552804&viewfull=1#post552804

The AxS coating prohibits any polarizing pattern from appearing on the internal lcd. Which otherwise happens once the temperature goes below 18-16 C (64-60 F). Not uncommon for most of the year here in Sweden. But no matter how warm it's outside, like in June to September, when you find yourself filming inside a parking garage or down in the subway, with the original evf you can count on those polarizing patterns. Which makes both composing an image and hitting focus nearly impossible.

The original plus the evf mount from ET makes up for quite a heavy load. Not all of its buttoms are active when mounted on an Epic (even though the firmware of the evf has been upgraded). But its colors are rich and relativley black (not feeling milky). I've never missed nailing focus with it, neither on the R1 nor on the Epic-X.

That being said, I will be upgrading to the new evf. :)

Tommaso Alvisi
04-27-2015, 10:26 AM
Does this VF exhibit any rainbow effect? I couldn't use the Bomb version cause of that. I know most people don't see that, but I just saw an RGB mess. I guess my eyes have a high refresh rate lol!

Yeah I'm really curious too...

It's the same for me, and with DLP projectors too...

Jeff Kilgroe
04-27-2015, 11:26 AM
The existing OLED Bomb as well as this upcoming version, also OLED, do not have any sequential color cycling and flashing rainbows. The original RED EVF and subsequent LCD Bomb EVF were also unusable by me due to the rainbows. Same with the ARRI viewfinders [and others on the market] which also share the same sequential color tech. Absolutely dreadfully horrible in every way. They should all be buried and forgotten in an unmarked grave on the dark side of the moon.

The current OLED Bomb doesn't have the rainbow issues, but does have issues of its own. The scaling algorithm used in either the EVF or the camera monitor output causes some very unsightly posterization effects and splotchiness, especially in under-exposed areas. It's quite annoying and often muddies the image enough where it gives us an inaccurate view of what we're shooting. Punching in to 1:1 zoom and that all goes away, so not only does the 1:1 serve as focus check while using the EVF, but also a test to see if the splotchy shadows and other such anomalies are caused by the scaling or something in our environment. I feel the resolution is too low and I look forward to the 1080p updated version, but then again I'm wondering if that's still too little. I'll definitely preview the new EVF with my own eye before buying. I would love a 2160p EVF, yet I think the tech is probably still a few years away from that being viable. For now I intend to keep using my OLED Bomb with the upcoming Weapon and maybe I'll revisit a new EVF in another generation or two. But perhaps this new one will be enough for me to upgrade -- won't know until I look into one.

Hope I'm not coming across as too harsh or critical. The current OLED Bomb is still a nice EVF. I'm just critical of EVF's in general... I don't think anyone has got it right just yet. Los of raves over the Zacuto or others that pop up onto the market. Every time I look into one, I just go "meh..."

The new form factor and mounting of this new RED EVF looks great though.

Stacey Spears
04-28-2015, 02:19 PM
Jarred, how is the field of view on the new 1080p EVF? Or rather, how far away is the image? I really liked the original EVF on the RED ONE. The bomb EVF always felt like the image was far away and made it difficult for me to use. Is the new 1080p the same as the bomb EVF in that department?

Patrick Tresch
04-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Jarred, how is the field of view on the new 1080p EVF? Or rather, how far away is the image? I really liked the original EVF on the RED ONE. The bomb EVF always felt like the image was far away and made it difficult for me to use. Is the new 1080p the same as the bomb EVF in that department?

+1 We need a FOV for critical focusing and critical framing.

Blair S. Paulsen
04-28-2015, 03:00 PM
I have to agree with Jeff, no offense to RED, but a truly great EVF for high resolution digital capture - from any manufacturer - is an unfulfilled need. The latest Zacuto Gratical has embedded LUTs for popular cameras that improve color accuracy, which improves perceived resolution and makes them much more useful for making decisions on set.

Maybe I'm crazy, but why couldn't RED (or whomever) "borrow" some tech from the mobile phone world and offer a 2160P 5-9" display with decent off axis, high ambient light viewing. Then add a custom "flip down" eyepiece/magnifier with diopter and you've got a 2 in 1 solution (this has been done by others and with well matched optics it should be tight). Presumably any screen from the mobile world would have touch input capability, but to avoid lots of finger grease on the display I'd opt to use the sidekick/foolcontrol whenever possible.

Just asking'

Cheers - #19

Alex.Mitchell
04-28-2015, 03:43 PM
I'll be honest, I'm a big believer of EVFs being EVFs and screens being screens. I own a SmallHD DP4 and while the EVF hood can be useful it also adds a lot of weight and isn't really comfortable as an EVF. I'm hoping that the Sidewinder/502 combo will change my mind but until then I think RED is making a pretty good decision as is.

Jacek Zakowicz
04-28-2015, 04:17 PM
I have to agree with Jeff, no offense to RED, but a truly great EVF for high resolution digital capture - from any manufacturer - is an unfulfilled need. The latest Zacuto Gratical has embedded LUTs for popular cameras that improve color accuracy, which improves perceived resolution and makes them much more useful for making decisions on set.

Maybe I'm crazy, but why couldn't RED (or whomever) "borrow" some tech from the mobile phone world and offer a 2160P 5-9" display with decent off axis, high ambient light viewing. Then add a custom "flip down" eyepiece/magnifier with diopter and you've got a 2 in 1 solution (this has been done by others and with well matched optics it should be tight). Presumably any screen from the mobile world would have touch input capability, but to avoid lots of finger grease on the display I'd opt to use the sidekick/foolcontrol whenever possible.

Just asking'

Cheers - #19
Nice underwear engineering there Blair ;-) just kidding...
The new BMD EVF is pretty great -if you have seen it ...
Full HD , nice eye relief, wide viewing angle, SDI and XLR, 60Hz refresh so no flicker- yep- pretty great I say...

Stacey Spears
04-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Maybe I'm crazy, but why couldn't RED (or whomever) "borrow" some tech from the mobile phone world and offer a 2160P 5-9" display with decent off axis, high ambient light viewing. Then add a custom "flip down" eyepiece/magnifier with diopter and you've got a 2 in 1 solution (this has been done by others and with well matched optics it should be tight).

Isn't that what SmallHD (https://vimeo.com/125291016) built with 502 and the EVF eyepiece attachment?

The Zacuto group buy (http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?131361-Zacuto-Gratical-EVF-Group-Buy) is very interesting. I would probably go for it, but really need to pay for Weapon. :) That and the Video Devices (https://vimeo.com/125077230) PIX E5H would be really cool to have for use on a Letus Heilx. Too many cool things! I really wish the RED 7" LCD had the drag around feature while zoomed-in along with all the scopes.

Blair S. Paulsen
04-28-2015, 05:10 PM
I'm essentially saying that the SmallHD approach is darn clever and just needs to be taken to the next level. Start with a 2160P image, get the eyepiece/magnifier optical performance up and Bob's your Uncle. (BTW Jacek, I go commando ;-)

Cheers - #19

Jacek Zakowicz
04-28-2015, 05:22 PM
(BTW Jacek, I go commando ;-)

Cheers - #19
Too much info here haha ;-)

Stacey Spears
04-28-2015, 05:32 PM
I wish someone would make a grid for the 7" LCD like the one for the 5" LCD. That was great!

(BTW Jacek, I go commando ;-)

To quote Joey, or was it Chandler? Never go commando in another mans fatigues!

Peter Lyons Collister, ASC
04-28-2015, 05:41 PM
It seems to me that all camera manufacturers are in need of a good EVF. I have issues with the fact that my operators on this feature cannot see focus or reflections in a critical manner which was always their area. Not off EVFs or 7 inch monitors in ambient light. Only when I am watching my 25 inch Sony OLED can I see everything that they should be able to see.
1080p is but one factor.... Where the eyepiece focuses for the op is another, refresh is another as is color acuity ...

I believe RED is addressing all of these.

Phil Holland
04-28-2015, 05:47 PM
It seems to me that all camera manufacturers are in need of a good EVF. I have issues with the fact that my operators on this feature cannot see focus or reflections in a critical manner which was always their area. Not off EVFs or 7 inch monitors in ambient light. Only when I am watching my 25 inch Sony OLED can I see everything that they should be able to see.
1080p is but one factor.... Where the eyepiece focuses for the op is another, refresh is another as is color acuity ...

I believe RED is addressing all of these.

Agree and I know/feel where you are coming from. There's some pretty incredible "values" out there in EVF-land, but locking critical focus (my main concern) has been "iffy" on most products available today.

I'm really, really happy with the color and picture on the newer RED 7.0" LCD Touch however. That's a freaking joy to use, operate, and pull from. They did real good there.

Patrick Tresch
04-29-2015, 11:10 AM
Agree and I know/feel where you are coming from. There's some pretty incredible "values" out there in EVF-land, but locking critical focus (my main concern) has been "iffy" on most products available today.

I'm really, really happy with the color and picture on the newer RED 7.0" LCD Touch however. That's a freaking joy to use, operate, and pull from. They did real good there.

Phil,
Did you ever complain about a Red product?

Tom Gleeson
04-29-2015, 04:26 PM
Is there an official line on this new EVF? At NAB was it an actual working prototype? Did anyone get an eyeball into it? Or was Red making a statement on intention that intends to build a new EVF? Has there been any announcement or hint on availability and pricing? So many questions.

Robert Ruffo New
05-10-2015, 09:15 PM

Just asking'

Cheers - #19

The new Small HD EVF is just as good - same resolution, same smooth image rendition - and way cheaper.

Tom Gleeson
05-10-2015, 10:14 PM
The new Small HD EVF is just as good - same resolution, same smooth image rendition - and way cheaper.

Robert,

What are you comparing the Small HD EVF too? The original Red Bomb LCD EVF or OLED version or to something else? Or did you manage to get an eyeball into the new Red EVF?

Robert Ruffo New
05-11-2015, 03:10 AM
Robert,

What are you comparing the Small HD EVF too? The original Red Bomb LCD EVF or OLED version or to something else? Or did you manage to get an eyeball into the new Red EVF?

Was comparing to new Zacuto - which looks exactly the same as new Small HD EVF. Both are excellent, are in fact the best EVFs I have ever seen on any camera. But, both look exactly the same in terms of image quality, so why pay so much more for Zacuto becomes a very good question.

I have the Bomb LCOS - and weird motion artifacts can be an issue, as is not altogether super high resolution, but it's not bad, and it's very small and light and does not require its own power. Downside is unless you have the right somewhat expensive module, you must first disconnect the touch screen (while Small HD uses the HDMI or HD SDI port) and that +1 module hogs the HDMI port, which we use 100% of the time for remote video transmission.

I have not seen the new Red EVF from Red, and it's likely great, but it still leaves you with the single monitor output on Epics problem (which if I remember correctly has been addressed on Weapon).

I never pull my own focus, never do any shoulder shooting, and we always have large screens on set, so really Red's Bomb is good enough for me for now, for the few times it's a better solution than the touch monitor for on-board framing (again, your own situation may be very different). That said, I'm considering buying the Small HD EVF for our ACs, because it can work with a Parralinx or Nyrius. I'll ask them if they would like that.

Daniel Shojaei
05-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Looks good
Thanks for sharing.

Kemalettin Sert
07-02-2015, 07:20 PM
when this is coming out? need an evf !

Patrick Tresch
07-05-2015, 07:14 AM
Strange RED dont give much attention to monitoring when arri even developed an OVF.

We need a 2k resolution with optically variable field of view to be able to make our job.
I mean not all Epics are mounted on a crane or a steady or have "video cities" with large screen.
Framing the traditional way with op eye on the camera eyepiece is important.

If we have to frame for 4k more detail and immersion is important.

Another feature is magnify while shooting. This is also important to get focus right when filming interviews where the person can lean forth and back for example.

Pat

Satsuki Murashige
07-05-2015, 03:45 PM
To be fair to Red, Arri didn't have to develop a new optical viewfinder for the Alexa Studio, they just adapted their existing Arricam viewfinder system, glow masks, and ground glasses. It's a lot harder and more expensive to develop precision optics and mechanics from scratch than electronics and software. I also much prefer to operate with an eyepiece while shooting, but realistically I think the days of the mirror reflex viewfinder are pretty much over. And I say this as someone who owns a Moviecam SL, Canon Scoopic 16M, Hasselblad 501c, and Pentax MX.

Mikael Lubtchansky
09-10-2015, 11:49 AM
I finally got a chance to put my eye into the new EVF and I must say I was quite impressed with it. Much larger image than bomb, smooth shadows, infinity optic ans super nice design were you can remove the cableless rotating piece and reveal a regular lemo connector to plug your cable in... Well done !

Brett Reynolds
09-10-2015, 11:57 AM
I finally got a chance to put my eye into the new EVF and I must say I was quite impressed with it. Much larger image than bomb, smooth shadows, infinity optic ans super nice design were you can remove the cableless rotating piece and reveal a regular lemo connector to plug your cable in... Well done !

Does it have a new style rubber eyepiece that a chamie will stay on?

Patrick Tresch
09-10-2015, 12:39 PM

Nice to hear that! Did they also improove resolution? Thanks

Pat

Stacey Spears
09-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Nice to hear that! Did they also improove resolution? Thanks

They said 1080p at NAB.

alexjentz
09-10-2015, 03:40 PM
...well done!

Looking forward to when it ships!

Do you know if they could also bring in native frame rate refresh support for 23.98/24p and 25p?

Jarred Land
09-10-2015, 05:38 PM
This will be up in the store shortly...

Bérenger Brillante
09-12-2015, 07:46 AM
Does it have a new style rubber eyepiece that a chamie will stay on?

That would be handy, my main DP is allergic to the EVF plastic and chamois always slips.

antoine carpentier
09-12-2015, 10:11 AM
I'm hurry to test it!
To me red's viewfinder is a weakness of red company (compare to arri). Hope this one gonna be a game changer.

Mike P.
09-15-2015, 04:33 PM
Quick question; can you use either Bomb EVF with Weapon using the converter-thingy-majiggy?

Jarred Land
09-19-2015, 02:27 PM
Quick question; can you use either Bomb EVF with Weapon using the converter-thingy-majiggy?

yes

Mike P.
09-19-2015, 03:20 PM
Yessssssss...

July Morgan
10-30-2015, 05:27 AM
good

alexjentz
02-08-2016, 03:39 PM
...well done!

Looking forward to when it ships!

Do you know if they could also bring in native frame rate refresh support for 23.98/24p and 25p?

Could anybody that received the new RED EVF already try yet if there is real native Support and display of 23.98/24p and 25p Refresh Rates when your Project is set to these ?

Or passing that question on to Jarred or RED: is this something that is already active on the new EVF or is hardware wise possible with the new EVF and on the Roadmap to be completely supported with future firmware ?

Andreas Mendritzki
02-09-2016, 05:35 AM
Yeah, curious to know how many of these are out in the wild. . .

Jake Wilganowski
02-09-2016, 07:30 AM
They said mine was going to ship a week ago and now checked in and it had been pushed

Justus de Jager
02-09-2016, 08:56 AM
This might be a strange question, but can anyone guess whether or not the old original Red Pro evf from R1 MX would work with the adaptor on weapon? I used it a few times on Epic Dragon and worked fine. Buying in to the dsmc2 system soon but can only do so in stages.

PatrickFaith
02-09-2016, 09:50 AM
They said mine was going to ship a week ago and now checked in and it had been pushedMine is suppose to come this month. Really I'd like some of the people on Guardians of Galaxy and people like Phil to fully test this batch before I get mine, since I don't like shipping things back and forth (and I don't want to deal with problems). This looks to me like the first electronic evf that really works for how I do things, it's taken an amazingly long time for the industry to build electronic EVF's ... it's probably one of those things that seems simple at first (i had crappy electronic evf's a decade ago) but ends up being incredably complex to do it right.

(i btw use two of those A adapters on a 5 inch and 9 inch red monitor, they work great ... not sure about the old redone evf but so far all the old red equipment has worked perfectly through the A adapter).

Abiodun Shote
02-11-2016, 04:20 AM
Anyone know if there's an upgrade path for EVFs?