PDA

View Full Version : Frame.io Premier Pro integration lands today

Jarred Land
04-11-2016, 12:24 PM
And it is RAD ( and the plugin is free )

https://vimeo.com/161523809/03c1d763ae

Frame.io Panel Delivers Seamless Integration with Adobe Premiere Pro CC

With this integration, artists and editors can:

Share a cloud bin / source media.
Quickly and easily upload an Adobe Premiere Pro CC timeline, project, or an entire bin.
Receive real-time comments from collaborators, synced to the timeline.
Bi-directional syncing of markers-to-comments and comments-to-markers.
Iterate quickly on creative ideas with one click auto-versioning.
“As professional editors ourselves, we designed the panel with very real insight. These are the tools we've dreamed of having access to so we can spend less time managing our edits and more time being creative,” says Frame.io CEO, Emery Wells. “With Frame.io for Adobe Premiere Pro CC, we're laying the foundation for truly transformative workflows. It's the next generation of collaboration for professional editors and we're only just getting started.”

“Adobe video tools offer a robust platform for modern, connected workflows and are shaking up the industry – from Hollywood to YouTube,” said Sue Skidmore, head of partner relations, Adobe Pro Video. “The panel is a beautiful and smart way to bring collaboration into your Adobe Creative Cloud workflows.”

Available worldwide today, the Frame.io extension for Adobe Premiere Pro CC can be downloaded now at: https://frame.io/premiere.

Ketch Rossi
04-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Love Frame.io and those guys sure rock!

Let's see how we get to use it in our next project... :)

Greg M
04-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Emery is on a roll...love Frame IO

Alberto Guglielmi
04-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Frame.IO looks great. On a separate note, does anybody have the phone number for the editor on the video? I am looking for some new people to work with.

Bobby Farokhzad
04-11-2016, 12:39 PM
I think this is the future of video editing... collaberation is everything.

Phil Holland
I have to say, this is one of the slickest integration concepts to truly allow interactive remote editing and potentially color workflows. Very, very nice stuff.

investigating exactly how it fits into my world, but I know I have one client who LOVEs interaction, though prying them out of the castle is often tricky. This should do the trick.

Jarred Land
Yeah some big shops using Frame IO and it's always great to see that collab link when it comes through on a project. Definitely expanding their reach.

Personally I am glad it hit Premiere, now we just need it in RCX to go full circle :)

Jason Diamond
04-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Thanks Phil, Stoked to get your feedback.

We put a lot into the panel so happy that people are digging it.

Jarred Land
04-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Frame.IO looks great. On a separate note, does anybody have the phone number for the editor on the video? I am looking for some new people to work with.

Jason (producer ) can hook you up with the number, but it was Alex MacLean that cut it, Emery Directed it, and Timur shot it (on RED) .

Jason Diamond
04-11-2016, 12:44 PM

Josh and I Produced and gave creative feedback to the team below

Director: Emery Wells
DP: Timur Civan
Movi op: Nico Gianquinto
Gaffer: Ray Richards
Music Edit/Mix: Thomas Szabo
Cut and Colored by Alex MacLean
Addition Editorial and VFX: Thomas Szabo
Animation: Sander Van Dijk, Harry Frank and Andrew Embury

Shot on Dragon and Leica-R's, LLO

Stoked to have all our dudes on this project and everyone killed it. We at Frame.io are just getting started.

Jason Diamond
04-11-2016, 12:46 PM
Yeah some big shops using Frame IO and it's always great to see that collab link when it comes through on a project. Definitely expanding their reach.

Personally I am glad it hit Premiere, now we just need it in RCX to go full circle :)

If only I knew someone who could close that loop ;)

BrendanLeahy
04-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Was that filmed at a 60p base framerate?

Emery Wells
04-11-2016, 01:00 PM
Was that filmed at a 60p base framerate?

Was filmed at a 30fps base and over cranked. Screen animation doesn't look good in 24p in my opinion so we shot 30. Most shots were filmed at 45 - 60 fps and when played back at 30 it's smooth but soft. Really cool look!

BrendanLeahy
04-11-2016, 01:07 PM
Was filmed at a 30fps base and over cranked. Screen animation doesn't look good in 24p in my opinion so we shot 30. Most shots were filmed at 45 - 60 fps and when played back at 30 it's smooth but soft. Really cool look!

Agreed! It looks great.

Will you be showing those of us in the FCPX minority some love with a similar integration update soon?

Tom Greenberg
04-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Josh and I Produced and gave creative feedback to the team below

Animation: Harry Frank
Harry Frank, one of my Detroit homies!!

Maik Müller
04-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Congrats guys. That's looking like perfect integration. Great film too. :)

vincent kardasik
04-11-2016, 01:21 PM
Agreed! It looks great.

Will you be showing those of us in the FCPX minority some love with a similar integration update soon?

Same question here...

Well done Guys, everything looks awesome from the plug-in to the way the promo was shot and edited.

Matthew Quinn
04-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Can we get Adobe to let us use S-W R3D files now?

Joel Arvidsson
04-11-2016, 03:30 PM
What can you do with the free plugin before you need an subscripten? Or is free = ordinary trial period?
I did like the look of integration of it!

Emery Wells
04-11-2016, 03:46 PM
What can you do with the free plugin before you need an subscripten? Or is free = ordinary trial period?
I did like the look of integration of it!

It's free for 1 project and up to 2GB of storage. It's meant to be a free forever trial. If you actually start using it you'll hit the upgrade path which then starts at $15/month.

Andy Roberts
04-11-2016, 04:54 PM
I'm sure this is a silly question, but with the largest ($150 per month) being 400GB, how does that play out with Red footage... even my small projects seems to have a lot more than 400GB. Or is the idea to use ProRes proxies or something like that?

Josh Becker
04-11-2016, 10:02 PM
I'm sure this is a silly question, but with the largest ($150 per month) being 400GB, how does that play out with Red footage... even my small projects seems to have a lot more than 400GB. Or is the idea to use ProRes proxies or something like that?
Generally you'd upload edits or maybe selects, and I believe they get compressed as H264 on Frame.io. You wouldn't upload raw files or all of your footage. It's more of a collaboration/review tool.

Funny side note, at NAB last year I was standing outside the Teradek glass cube when someone from Frame.io was inside talking about it. I had been using the beta and turned to the guy next to me and I said "Have you checked this out? I've been using it for a couple weeks, it's incredible!" And he goes "yeah, I'm one of the guys who made it!" Hahaha, I think he was one of the Diamond brothers? (Twins, right?) I felt a bit silly after that one! Haha

Joel Arvidsson
04-12-2016, 01:39 AM
I have one project wich I think this would be perfect to test this out. How much storage do you have with the $15/month?

Mark Toia
04-12-2016, 03:28 AM
Great tool ! I love it !

But I dare use it for some of some my crazy clients, I'd get like 900 comments and drawings all over every shot ! hundreds of silly requests, like remove that bird in the background, that tree, the sign, that flare, change that guy into a girl, paint that car out,.. etec etc etc etc... Drives me mad !!
I have to make sure I choose which client to give this awesome power too :)

However, When dealing with a post effects house on the other side of the world ! it's the best way to communicate with them... A 100% must have tool !
Would be awesome to get this tool into AE, FLAME, NUKE, all the composting programs, It would be amazing !! Actually it already is. :)

Great work Guys !.. just plain awesome.

Also the video was well done. Great work Jason and team !

Joel Arvidsson
04-12-2016, 03:52 AM
Great tool ! I love it !

But I dare use it for some of some my crazy clients, I'd get like 900 comments and drawings all over every shot ! hundreds of silly requests, like remove that bird in the background, that tree, the sign, that flare, change that guy into a girl, paint that car out,.. etec etc etc etc... Drives me mad !!

Pandoras Box? ;)

AJ Aguirre
04-12-2016, 03:03 PM
Dope, i'm gonna need the number of whoever designed that editing room. I think that room alone would boost my productivity 10 fold

Maik Müller
04-13-2016, 12:08 PM
Dope, i'm gonna need the number of whoever designed that editing room. I think that room alone would boost my productivity 10 fold
+1 ;)

SeanBrown
04-13-2016, 12:14 PM
Love this! We just used this new integration on our NAB Demo Reel and it's smooth!

Brandon J.F.
04-13-2016, 12:33 PM
Frame.io seriously kicks ass. Using it for everything from here on out!

Charles Bergquist
04-13-2016, 01:17 PM
Great tool ! I love it !

However, When dealing with a post effects house on the other side of the world ! it's the best way to communicate with them... A 100% must have tool !
Would be awesome to get this tool into AE, FLAME, NUKE, all the composting programs, It would be amazing !! Actually it already is. :)

Great work Guys !.. just plain awesome.

Also the video was well done. Great work Jason and team !

Haha yeah. It'd be great if there was a comment limit, clients can buy extra comments past a given number of 5.

But yes, I'm using it right now and holy shit, this is excellent!!

PatrickFaith
04-14-2016, 09:47 AM
This is awesome, I started testing this yesterday. Since I use exr dwab as my primary di file format, it was a hassle getting my 8k plates to frame.io , now with premieres integration of the new exr formats I can really get a much better workflow. Also with the coming tangent panel&color integration, I think I'll finally have a clean review process for heavy vfx related editorial.

Emery Wells
04-14-2016, 07:17 PM

Call me anytime :)

Emery Wells
04-14-2016, 07:19 PM
Frame.io seriously kicks ass. Using it for everything from here on out!

So glad you guys are digging it! We put a ton of care and craft into the tools we build and after working in post for 10 years it's an amazing experience to build awesome software for my peers.

Erik Vanlenten
04-15-2016, 04:41 PM
Used it on my last project and absolutely loved it!

PatrickFaith
04-15-2016, 06:51 PM
So glad you guys are digging it! We put a ton of care and craft into the tools we build and after working in post for 10 years it's an amazing experience to build awesome software for my peers.Man this is working really slick, I was expecting to be fighting with premiere but it worked perfectly right off the bat. I especially like the auto versioning from the premiere timeline to the frame.io web page. Also auto proxying to the appropriate web viewing is perfect, since I'm working in 4k I don't want to lag reviewers out. You guys have really thought this through, huge progress and this update is a big step in now allowing me to use frame.io as part of my main production process !

Christoffer Glans
04-17-2016, 03:32 AM
This whole thing just made me sad... I have been editing more and more in Premiere and less and less in Avid. I haven't heard from my old friend in a long while. I don't know how he's doing or if I should start talking to him again, but features like this just makes me sad, I will miss old pal Avid :tongue_smilie:

Rob Wentz
04-18-2016, 11:03 AM
Ok, I'll be devils advocate. I like frame.io as an alternative to wiredrive for the client review process of editorial work.. almost jumped on board with them and we're still considering dumping wiredrive for frame.io but I'm not seeing a benefit (maybe cause there really isn't one?) to this integration unless we wanted to have cloud based media bins so our editors could work from home. We have enough trouble consistently maintaining smooth reliable performance out of premiere pro as it is with our media fibre attached, I honestly loathe the concept of plugging in something non-native into the mix. If we want to let an editor work remotely I'm more comfortable giving them a drive and a backup than hooking them up with remote access to media.

How does frame.io integration differ from adobe anywhere? From a technical level how is it better?

I also wonder when taking a step back from all the technical achievement - Is it really beneficial to allow clients to circle things and cross things out into the world of on screen markup? I see that as a very dangerous line to cross.

Emery Wells
04-28-2016, 08:47 AM
Ok, I'll be devils advocate. I like frame.io as an alternative to wiredrive for the client review process of editorial work.. almost jumped on board with them and we're still considering dumping wiredrive for frame.io but I'm not seeing a benefit (maybe cause there really isn't one?) to this integration unless we wanted to have cloud based media bins so our editors could work from home. We have enough trouble consistently maintaining smooth reliable performance out of premiere pro as it is with our media fibre attached, I honestly loathe the concept of plugging in something non-native into the mix. If we want to let an editor work remotely I'm more comfortable giving them a drive and a backup than hooking them up with remote access to media.

How does frame.io integration differ from adobe anywhere? From a technical level how is it better?

I also wonder when taking a step back from all the technical achievement - Is it really beneficial to allow clients to circle things and cross things out into the world of on screen markup? I see that as a very dangerous line to cross.

Hey Rob, I appreciate your input but I think you're missing the point a bit. We aren't a replacement for Adobe Anywhere. Adobe Anywhere is a very cool product for a certain class of user but it's really expensive and requires a bunch of hardware to setup. Frame.io is setup in less than than a minute and requires no hardware. Sending your editor home with a hard drive is fine. You should continue doing that. We don't replace the need to have all your source footage locally on a hard drive. But when you need to communicate during work in progress, or share several clips, that's where Frame.io comes in. We replace the need to use a bunch of different services to share media and communicate back and forth. How many email threads have you been involved in where someone says "At 00:05:04:02 we need to cut 10 frames earlier" or "At 00:10:12:11 we need to pain out that logo above the highway". Then you go look at that frame and have zero idea what they are talking about or the time code they are referencing is totally different from yours.

Being the co-founder of Frame.io im obviously pretty bias but I'd say give us a try. I've also been an editor for many years and I can objectively say this saves you hours a day.

Josh Becker
04-28-2016, 09:05 AM

I think the big thing with the integration is that it's just fewer steps for your editor. It's relatively minor, but if you need to upload some edits, dropping a few sequences into the Frame.io window is a lot faster than sending to the render queue, changing save directory, rendering, opening the browser, logging in to Frame.io, opening the project, and finally dragging video files into the browser.

I have used Frame.io but ended up downgrading to their free account. I don't edit full-time and it was hard to justify keeping it around with the 3 project/10gb limitations for $15/mo. When I used it, it was great, though!

Kyle Gentz
04-28-2016, 09:13 AM

Rob, We dropped wiredrive and switched to Frame.io last month and everyone including our clients like it so much better. Plus its cheaper. Also we got in on the Premiere beta and its only gotten better since the release. We run Mac and PC on 8Gb fibre. working with 5K and 6K red files. Also for your less Tech clients you can just send the video on a web page that they can just view OR you can have them as a collaborator. Its been great.

Frame.io is more of a proofing system not a remote ediitng system.

OLAFS LAKUS
04-29-2016, 05:43 AM
I think this is the future of video editing... collaberation is everything.

Michael J Brennan
05-14-2016, 01:10 AM
What is a comfortable, practical Internet connection speed to use cloud servers for proofing?
Here in Oz, outside of cities we are luckily to get 5mb/s...
In the future wireless broadband may take that to 25mb/s

Do clients expect a response in a heartbeat?

Mike Brennan

Rob Wentz
05-31-2016, 03:01 PM
We don't replace the need to have all your source footage locally on a hard drive.

Thank you for your reply with the further info Emery. I think the first feature listed in the OP threw me off as it sounds parallel to how some might describe what Adobe Anywhere gives them:
With this integration, artists and editors can:

Share a cloud bin / source media

EDIT: I've been giving this integration a spin - it is pretty cool.
I definitely see the ability to render/upload/notify in one fell swoop a review cut as absolutely killer. The commenting feature is cool - It can really assist with building concepts throughout (aka plussing) a video project/film - but when it comes to client review for things like corporate videos etc I'm not so crazy about putting some of these review tools in their hands. Doesn't mean the producer couldn't be the one taking the client's feedback and placing the comment into the timeline though..Interesting possibilities there.

As I'm sure the frame.io folks are aware - Wiredrive, (who we've been using for review & sales presentations for a few years) is rolling out their adobe cc integrations in a few days, will be interesting to see the feature overlap. I've been on the beta waiting list since it was announced and haven't seen a thing.

If we didn't have our entire completed jobs library metatagged in wiredrive library we'd probably have switched to frame.io by now. Our sales team is understandably entrenched with wiredrive library as it's very easy to find videos and build branded presentations for job pitches. wiredrive aint cheap though.