PDA

View Full Version : Best small non-RED to intercut with Dragon?

Fahnon Bennett
03-28-2021, 06:35 AM
I have a RED with a Dragon sensor, and Iím spending way too much time in post trying to get a Fuji XT3 to match. Even using ACES and time spent in resolve, it never quite matches close enough, a particularly in mixed lighting.

Iím finding myself doing more and more interviews and narrative work where Iím intercutting sometimes in the same sentence, so itís jarring if the window light is all of a sudden more blue or the subjectís blue suit is less blue as I try to balance things. Iím sure a professional colorist would be able to fix much faster, but Iíd rather get it closer by using tools that get it right in camera, particularly for when Iím not doing the edit.

Iíve been trying to find a Komodo, but havenít found one thatís not marked up 30% like the one in the marketplace here or outside of a $15k bundle. I need this soon-ish, so Iím looking for alternatives. I donít want a Raven because I need to run this on a gimbal and Iím looking to spend $7k max including media. Iíve read recently that the Blackmagic Pocket 6k intercuts with RED footage pretty well, but I wanted to check with you guys before grabbing one.

Does anyone own that combo or have found a better small camera that intercuts with Dragon?

Zack Birlew
03-28-2021, 11:39 PM
Haven't worked with Dragon but the Blackmagic Pocket 4K with Metabones S35 speed booster matched almost 1:1 with our RED One MX in overall look and the only difference was that it was a little sharper right off the bat. If things scale right, I would think the Dragon 6K would pair nicely with the Pocket 6K. There's also that Cinematch software by the makers of Filmconvert that could be of interest to you and may open up your options if not negate your situation entirely if it can match your Fuji better than doing it by hand. Good luck!

PatrickWebb
03-29-2021, 01:28 AM
Haven't worked with Dragon but the Blackmagic Pocket 4K with Metabones S35 speed booster matched almost 1:1 with our RED One MX in overall look and the only difference was that it was a little sharper right off the bat. If things scale right, I would think the Dragon 6K would pair nicely with the Pocket 6K. There's also that Cinematch software by the makers of Filmconvert that could be of interest to you and may open up your options if not negate your situation entirely if it can match your Fuji better than doing it by hand. Good luck!

+ 1 on the pocket. I have used that to cut with the MX Scarlet in the past and that worked out fine. Again, that is not the Dragon sensor, but If you shoot raw with the Pocket 4/6K you shouldn't have a problem in post to match them up, theoretically speaking.

Aaron Green
03-29-2021, 05:16 AM
While I had my Dragon X there were months where i used the BMPCC 4k as a B Cam, and later used the Lumix S1H. The S1H was wayyyy easier to match.

Fahnon Bennett
03-29-2021, 08:47 AM

Funny you should mention cinematch as I downloaded a trial of it and will be playing with it today. It could be a good stopgap, but ideally though, I’d just be able to shoot and use a standard ACES workflow and it will match. Really wish I could find footage shot at the same time with both so I could test for myself

Fahnon Bennett
03-29-2021, 08:54 AM
+ 1 on the pocket. I have used that to cut with the MX Scarlet in the past and that worked out fine. Again, that is not the Dragon sensor, but If you shoot raw with the Pocket 4/6K you shouldn't have a problem in post to match them up, theoretically speaking.

Thanks! Yeah I just need to make sure before buying. This helps.

Fahnon Bennett
03-29-2021, 08:57 AM
While I had my Dragon X there were months where i used the BMPCC 4k as a B Cam, and later used the Lumix S1H. The S1H was wayyyy easier to match.

Hmmmm.... this is a model I haven’t considered. I haven’t used a Panasonic camera since the GH4. You wouldn’t happen to have any clips from that time where both were used as an A/B cam would you?

PatrickWebb
03-29-2021, 09:28 AM
Thanks! Yeah I just need to make sure before buying. This helps.

Yeah totally! Always see if you can rent or borrow... but of course, that takes swine amounts of time. I think Aaron has a good experienced answer here.

Good luck!

Michael Winokur
03-29-2021, 09:34 AM
I haven't tried this, but you might give this is go: https://www.cinematch.com/

Fahnon Bennett
03-31-2021, 01:21 PM
I haven't tried this, but you might give this is go: https://www.cinematch.com/

Thanks Michael. Been playing with it, but want to do it “naturally” if possible with ACES and curves.