Thread: Mic levels extremely low in my Scarlet

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Mic levels extremely low in my Scarlet 
    So I record audio on board all the time, usually using a shotgun mic with a mini jack to XLR adaptor - no problem.

Yesterday I tried to hook up an Audio Technica W88-830 wireless microphone and I can hear it, but the levels are really low and there is a strange hum as well. I'm confused because this same wireless mic works/sounds great when attached to my 7D and to my H4N.

Any ideas why this may be happening?

How are you connecting it? It's probably because you're using an output designed for an unbalanced mic input, whereas the Scarlet's input is balanced. It should work a lot better if you make up a cable which will lift the ring (or short it on the camera side), as in, connect the tip and sleeve only. The Scarlet subtracts the top from the ring, so if the receiver is sending the same signal twice expecting the input to be looking for a stereo, unbalanced mic, the signal would cancel itself out and that would explain the low levels. Also, make sure that Phantom power is switched off.
    Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

+1 on checking your cables and connections.
    Improperly grounded cables, or a mic that isn't properly wired for ground will cause a hum or noise as well.
    - Scarlet 996 -

Check your audio menu to make sure that balanced/unbalanced is set correctly. And make sure that you're not pumping 48v into it.

The biggest issue with your volume is most likely due to the unbalanced signal coming in a -10dbu vs pro levels of +4dbu. The 7D and H4n are designed for -10 inputs to handle it better. Also to Andrew's point having phantom power enabled with an unbalanced source can add quite a bit of noise so check that first before messing with your cables.
    Scarlet Dragon Canon TI #1226

The Audio Technica wireless receivers are not great, period. But dig into the menus and I'm sure there's a way to raise the output levels to overcome the preamp levels in the Red. Note that the Red Epic is expecting to see a mic-level input anyway, not a line-level input. I find they're very, very prone to overload if you're not careful.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    Note that the Red Epic is expecting to see a mic-level input anyway, not a line-level input. I find they're very, very prone to overload if you're not careful.
    Very true, and I've been using this Hosa attenuator to bring line level into my Scarlet and it has been working a treat. I use it whenever I record with a channel coming from a mixing desk and it's not let me down.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ttenuator.html
    Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gentle View Post
    Very true, and I've been using this Hosa attenuator to bring line level into my Scarlet and it has been working a treat. I use it whenever I record with a channel coming from a mixing desk and it's not let me down.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ttenuator.html
    Very smart. We use something similar as well.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

You're right +4 is too hot for the mic inputs. If the same receiver settings work on the H4n it is probably a menu setting in cam.
    Scarlet Dragon Canon TI #1226

Ok, so I played with it a bit and if I hold the jack in half way it sounds perfect, its only once I push it in all the way that I have an issue - which seems to make sense after reading Andrew's first response. So what are my options here - obviously I can't just let the jack hang halfway in, is there an adaptor or something I can get, or a different cable? The cable I have right now has two rings on it, should I be looking for a cable with only one? I'll admit that I know very little about audio, so any help would be appreciated.