Thread: Graphics Display Problem with New Mac Pro & Premiere

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Graphics Display Problem with New Mac Pro & Premiere 
    I am getting weird lines across the screen. They tend to mostly appear in the upper left portion of the screen but sometimes in random other places as well. They appear for a frame several times a second (flickering) so its pretty annoying. This occurs on red and non-red footage so it doesn't appear to be specific to Red media.

I have the 8-Core 64GB RAM version of the Mac Pro with the Dual D700s, Premiere 7.2.1. I have three monitors hooked up via 3 mini-display adapters (since none of these monitors are thunderbolt). The lines only appear on the video playback monitor. This is a new issue, it did not appear with the old mac pro I had ever. The monitors are also the same.

Any ideas about what might be causing this?
    Last edited by Michael McCaffrey; 03-24-2014 at 11:32 AM.

That is frame buffer corruption normally. What happens if you switch the Full Screen out to a different monitor?

What adaptors are you using? I see glitches similar to this quite a bit with DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI converters. Or it could be frame buffer corruption as Eric says. Do you have another proper way to monitor from the onboard HDMI port or via HDMI/SDI out of a BMD or AJA box?
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Im using Apple mini-display port to DVI adapters. I do not believe they are dual link though because those 4 pins are not present on the side. Frame buffer corruption sounds about right. I switched the monitor arrangement around in display preferences and it seems to have helped. If the issue persists I will try the HDMI output instead.

Try using a different combination of adapters to the monitors and see if the issue follows a specific display or adapter.
    Michael "Strawberry" Romano
    ICG Local 600 DIT | Honolulu, Hawaii
    Mobile: 239-218-4452
    michael@strawberrycolor.com
    http://www.strawberrycolor.com/
    http://www.sightandsoundhawaii.com/

**PLEASE USE MY EMAIL, NOT PM's IF YOU NEED TO TALK TO ME**

I used to have the same issue after recent Mavericks update on a 12-core. Apple confirmed that there are some bugs with multiply non Thunderbolt displays configuration. Try using Apple USB-powered MDP to dual-link DVI adapters... I didn't have time to play with the issue, but it seems to be some sort of a software bug.

Unless he's running 2560x1440 or higher resolution, there's no need for the dual-link converters. Especially since they need to be powered and cost $90 instead of $9. And if there's an issue there in the displayport signal, it will probably pass through or cause glitching on the conversion anyway.

OSX 10.9 on the new Mac Pros seems to have some issues with displays anyway -- I think Apple is still trying to work out some of the kinks with the whole multiple Thunderbolt2 / displayport convergence thing. I can't let my nMP go to sleep with my 4K Dell monitor attached. It almost never wakes from sleep and usually crashes trying. Funny though, if I unplug the Dell 4K and just run with an old Dell 30" via MDP-DVI-DL converter, it all works just fine.
    - Jeff Kilgroe

Agree that Mavericks is still wonky with multiple displays. Here's to hoping 10.9.3 puts most of this to rest…

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Agree that Mavericks is still wonky with multiple displays. Here's to hoping 10.9.3 puts most of this to rest…

Cheers - #19
    Not yet... I'm expecting a couple more beta seeds before release, though. 10.9.3 does at least let my use my 24" Dell 4K properly, other than sleep issues.
    - Jeff Kilgroe

Yes, Jeff, good point about adapters and resolution, my fault. BTW I have the same trouble with MBP, sometimes it wakes with external display settings messed up, but mostly it dies...