Thread: "Unsupported Format or Damaged File"

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 "Unsupported Format or Damaged File" 
    I searched the forum and found some similar issues, but nothing that quite matched so I figured I'd ask to see if anyone had this problem before.

Shooting with a Red Epic, brought footage into premiere CS6 on set today using a Macbook Pro - then got home and tried to open it on my iMac (again on CS6) and the program won't bring the R3D files in due to "Unsupported Format or Damaged File" error. Footage still opens no problem on the macbook, and will import just fine into After Effects... but not Premiere on the iMac... although if I keep trying to import the R3D folders sometimes it'll bring in about half of the content of a folder (while giving me the same error for the other half of the content).

I'm really confused as to how this happened. It seems to only be giving me that error for the stuff I shot today, I can import R3D files I shot last week just fine.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Chitaroni View Post
    I searched the forum and found some similar issues, but nothing that quite matched so I figured I'd ask to see if anyone had this problem before.

Shooting with a Red Epic, brought footage into premiere CS6 on set today using a Macbook Pro - then got home and tried to open it on my iMac (again on CS6) and the program won't bring the R3D files in due to "Unsupported Format or Damaged File" error. Footage still opens no problem on the macbook, and will import just fine into After Effects... but not Premiere on the iMac... although if I keep trying to import the R3D folders sometimes it'll bring in about half of the content of a folder (while giving me the same error for the other half of the content).

I'm really confused as to how this happened. It seems to only be giving me that error for the stuff I shot today, I can import R3D files I shot last week just fine.

Any thoughts?
    Can't remember if the error message was exactly the same but if not, very close to the one you are reporting. Only mine happened when trying to offload Dragon footage from a Red Mag on to a laptop, IIRC. It was only test footage and I wasn't too concerned since I had tried to shoot 48 timebase 6k HDRx and some other crazy stuff. Haven't looked at any of the files that did offload but my assumption is they are alright and that the skipped files were corrupt.
    Last edited by Elsie N; 05-04-2014 at 07:31 PM.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

Try clearing the adobe media cache in preferences

I tried clearing my cache, no such luck.

I did some more playing around, and I actually managed to get it all imported once. I just kept re-importing until it all appeared. Because sometimes it'll bring one half of the R3D files in, and say the other half is corrupt, so I just kept doing it until they were all in… so weird. And I'm noticing that it's now giving me the error on some old shoot footage too. I'm debating upgrading to CC to see if it solves the issue. But I already used my trial period so i can't even test it. Definitely frustrating.

Sign up for the 9.99 for one application and see if it works. Otherwise maybe reinstall premiere cs6

Could be a hard drive that's getting ready to die.

It's not the drive, I have these R3Ds backed up across 2 separate drives and it does the exact same thing with each of them. And like I said, premiere CS6 reads it just fine on my Macbook, just not the iMac.

In fact now I've started editing it all on my iMac, I just kept re-importing over and over until each file finally worked. Because it didn't give me the error every time. If I restart the program it generally lets me import one r3d folder with no error, then the second one I try to import is "corrupt" until I restart again and it'll let me bring that one in, but not the 3rd… and so on. And I can re-open the project and it links to all the files no problem.

I'm anticipating I'll probably have to bite the bullet and sign up for CC if this continues to happen with future shoot material.

Banned
    Try copying and pasting to another hard drive and re-importing. Solved it for me.

Epic Dragon X #3794 "Norma Jeane"
    Red One MX #183 "Christine"

w: CreativeWaveIdaho.com
    t: @CreativeWaveID
    f: Facebook.com/CreativeWave