Thread: Quick Look - LG 31" DCI 4K Monitor

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Thanx for the clarification Jeff. Assuming Phil wants to use the panel for grading he's really going to want 10 bits which I assume is possible by reducing the refresh rate to 30Hz. If so, is there a simple way to toggle between the 60Hz/8 bit mode for GUI/editorial and a 30Hz/10bit mode for grading?

While we're on the subject; in terms of display driving (not compute capacity) is there any difference between the GTX 970 4GB, GTX 980 4GB and the Titan Black 4GB (or even 6GB)? I ask in part because the 980GTXs w/4GB are roughly $550 and the 970GTXs w/4GB around $350. Just curious what that extra $200 gets me in terms of compute power applicable to what we do. For reference I don't spend a lot of time in Resolve (if I did I'd just go Titan) and I have an RR-X so GPU decoding of R3Ds is not critical for me.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    You were able to run 4096 x 2160 at 60Hz over a single DP 1.2 cable? If so, please confirm - I didn't think there was enough bandwidth, but I'd love to be wrong ;-)

Cheers - #19
    I can 100% confirm I am achieving 4096x2160 at 60Hz over DP 1.2. It's in the Display Port documentation that it can support this high resolution and bit depth, so it's not really a shocker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pultz View Post
    Thank you for the impressions! Does the display have a screen coating or is it glossy? If it has a coating, how grainy is it? I prefer glossy in a light controlled room but those are becoming difficult to come by.
    The screen has a matte finish with a small bit of gloss to it. I don't see any grain or pebbling on the surface. I had a good sneeze this morning and did clean off the screen with some Kimwipes and glass cleaner. It's a very clean and crisp picture really without anything getting in the way of that. It is prone to glare like all screens, so take the usual precautions on that front. You don't want a big daylight window behind you obviously.

The viewing angle is very good on this screen. Holds color and intensity at fairly extreme angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pultz View Post
    You don't by chance have a Surface Pro 3 that you could try this with do you? Curious if that can push the resolution or if it is limited to 3840.
    Nope. Santa didn't bring a Surface Pro 3 into my life a bit ago, though I looked at one pretty hard for a while. I'll see if anybody I know has one I can snag though.

An additional note here. This LG display has a full VESA mount on the rear. That combined with the USB 3.0 ports and the display itself being essentially a USB 3.0 hub I can see this gaining a lot of interest for on set and DIT use.

I'm building up and attaching the rest of my devices today. Right now I'm doing some work screen right and have some Adobe Media Encoder exports running screen left. As I mentioned above I'm attempting to adapt and use this screen without utilizing Windows scaling to increase the font and icons. Though I find in Google Chrome I've enlarged the text to make that a bit easier. At this point outside of testing I've had a few hours of actual work and one thing I'm already experiencing as a positive is the extra screen space. It's 4X what I was working with before and I'm using it exactly that way at the moment.

Because this display can work well with the optimal viewing distances found in theaters and ideal for larger home displays I have about two dozen 30 second clips queued up to test various finishing methods for a DCI 4K finish. Similar to what I did for "Alan Turning Wood" and I've already watched those tests. Combined with the favorable response by a client and my experience on that I'm experimenting a bit deeper on ways of finishing for true 4K. This should be fascinating and it's going to influence my next few shoots because they are all targeted for a 4K DCI finish. The next one is a 6K FF project and I'm hoping to push the boundaries.

I do have some fun 4K material here I'm reviewing. For instance a 10-bit 4K DCI Gone Girl trailer as well as a few 4K DCI clips from Interstellar. I'm going back and watching tons and tons of footage too. It's certainly giving me some interesting thoughts on finishing, grain/texture/noise, and sharpness. That's where so much of the chatter is these days, but it makes me wonder if there's ever going to be a proper answer between "glass clean" and "textured". And what's too sharp? What's too soft? What is 4K exactly? What I do know is if you look at that orange and rocky landscape top frame center there's so much amazing detail in 4K that it brings you right into that environment and that world. It's making me respect the efforts by the Gone Girl team more for their glass, shooting methods, and finish for sure.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I can 100% confirm I am achieving 4096x2160 at 60Hz over DP 1.2. It's in the Display Port documentation that it can support this high resolution and bit depth, so it's not really a shocker for me. (snip)
    Confirmed at 10 bits? Jeff's note was that 4096/60 over a single DP1.2 pipe was limited to 8 bits. FWIW, I'd be fine with 8 bits @ 60Hz as long as I can toggle easily to 10bits @24 or 30Hz for color work.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Confirmed at 10 bits? Jeff's note was that 4096/60 over a single DP1.2 pipe was limited to 8 bits. FWIW, I'd be fine with 8 bits @ 60Hz as long as I can toggle easily to 10bits @24 or 30Hz for color work.

Cheers - #19
    I'm running 8-bit as Jeff mentioned at the moment.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Curios to see this off a nMP :)
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I'm running 8-bit as Jeff mentioned at the moment.
    In Windows 7 are you able to create two presets for that monitor, one at 60P/8 bit and one at 30P/10 bit, and toggle between them? I ask as that seems like a way that one could have a refresh rate appropriate to a GUI screen, perhaps even sharp enough to make text scaling in menus unimportant - AND - in the very same monitor, have the ability to go full screen with your video clip, toggle to 30P/10bit and start grading. If such dual use is viable, and the panel performs well, it sure seems like a great deal for roughly $1,500.

Cheers - #19

Windos GUI is still only 8bit. 10bit support has to be app/GPU specific.

I think the best hope for this display as a 10bit grading monitor is through BMD's products with Thunderbolt/DisplayPort connectivity. But some Windows applications and GUI combinations can drive 10bit over DP. Scratch can do it, as an example, with a supported GPU. The AJA IO4K or BMD DeckLink 4K can drive 4K DCI 10bit at 24 (and I think 25) fps via HDMI 1.4. IO4K supports HDMI 2.0, but I'm not sure if it can handle full 18Gbps bandwidth. Not that this display can either...
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

So Phil. You are using this as your main GUI monitor and lastly as a viewing monitor, finishing color on another screen. I think it makes a lot of sense. Do you think that other programs like Maya and Nuke will have issues to run this or will they just scale accordingly. So happy things are working well out of the box at last.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Epic-X #6700 (Aquila)

Phil, thanks very much for the review. I'd like to ask if you have a calibration system like LightSpace that will give you a measurement of the accuracy of the P3 space.

Thanks for the insights on this monitor, especially the screenshots. gives a good idea of the amoutn of real estate on this puppy.
    I'll think this will be my new monitor instead of my dual apple cinema 30"....
    Epic-X #7575 - Raven (Preordered) - Letus Helix #0001 (Seal Team) - DjI Ronin - DJI Phantom 2 - Zeiss Cp.2 21/35/50/85 - Leica-R 24/35/50/60/90/180 - MYT Works Level 5 - Macpro 2013 X 2 - MBpro Retina - Z800