Thread: Wifi +1 module, Syndicated.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Wifi +1 module, Syndicated. 
    I don't have much knowhow around data networking and other technical stuff but sometimes I get these ideas and picture things as possible... This time it was FoolControl that cough my mind. I been looking at FoolControl, OffHollywood's Hotlink and the redlink module and thinking it's really fantastic stuff, but... Then off course I can not help to think why is the wifi bridge not inside the camera...

So as I'm always running/stressing around the office and hardly have no time for anything as always, I turn to one of my talented coworkers.... In this case Mattias got in the line of fire... I kind of told him that there must be some space in the camera and those wifi bridge boards are not that big and all we need is power and a connector to the CTR port, how hard can that be?

Well it turned out that Mattias who is a wizard around anything difficult or close to impossible had to sit and configure cryptic Chinese wifi cards for two weeks straight. and then also sort the close to impossible logistics of actually making the stuff fit in the +1 module.

But last night he got it done and it actually works as a charm.

To get there I'm positive we went pretty darn far beyond the border of having a valid warranty on the camera.

So from what I learned I strongly advice you, do not try this at home. It's a far better idea to just to buy a hotlink from Mark or getting a redlink or any other off the shelf / outside camera solutions.

Still after all the struggle I just wanted to show you guys that it's was possible and I have no doubts that RED will put something like this in some upcoming module.

And my thoughts of Foolcontrol... well I think it's so freaking good that it should be included in every red camera ever sold. So possibly Mikael can give Jarred a bulk discount :)
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Hehe ! Good job beardless man !

Not sure about loosing my warranty part but love the idea as I always hoped +1 and REDLink modules could be combined :-)

Video link for iOS :
    https://vimeo.com/112315766
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

This is awesome! Love it Bjorn. +1 Module 2.0 ;)

I think RED should manufacture a 2nd version with an antennae on top to reach at least 300ft range. This is an excellent idea Bjorn and kudos for pulling it off.

I just want to know how Bjorn changed his voice half way through???

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Great work Björn!
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    I just want to know how Bjorn changed his voice half way through???
    With a bad troat and a piss poor scratch mic anything is possible :)
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Nice Bjorn , myself I don't have the courage to do this (meow)

However an even more prime candidate for this, IMO. is the most useless of modules the lame "adapter module"!

Surely RED can merge the functionality (Lol ) of the module adapter with Redlink unit , combining 2 modules into one and still allow throughput for other accessory modules. That way you could have wifi connectivity whilst still having a V mount!

I was going to start a thread on this but forgot until I saw this thread .

So come on RED make it happen , either +I or the Adapter will be fine by me !
    Last edited by Mike Garrick; 11-20-2014 at 02:16 PM.

I'd love to see this with wireless video transmission in a new +1/Wifi module as well!

Imagine using the HDMI feed from the +1 module and being able to send it out to either a second monitor / evf, or wirelessly to an iPad or computer. That, plus all the features of foolcontrol would be amazing!
    Burke Doeren
    BURKE DOEREN PRODUCTIONS
    Santa Monica, CA
    Director | Cinematographer | Visual Effects
    www.BurkeDoeren.com

Senior Member Guillaume Depestele's Avatar
    Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Garrick View Post
    However an even more prime candidate for this, IMO. is the most useless of modules the lame "adapter module"!
    Haha, I was thinking the same, and I'm waiting for an used one to try to put an nyrius pro inside. I'm tired to link all of theses video and power wires on the gimbal.
    Attached Images
    Guillaume Depestèle - VFX
    GJGears - Facebook - Instagram
    Leica R (28 - 35 - 50 - 90 - 135)

I don't know is true, just a rumor from a film set, that ARRI have patent for wireless lens control, and for a company RED to make it must have a licens from ARRI. .. But users can put together whatever we need, like a big LEGO. I like not to viod my camera warranty, so having maybe an AUX-Module that is shielded to protect camera, but still have electrical and data connectors available for custom electronics.
    JJ