Thread: Lens menu focus slider - Accessory to link with this?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Lens menu focus slider - Accessory to link with this? 
    Is there any physical accessory you can buy that plugs into the camera and gives you a knob to control focus directly through the Epic Dragon? I know RED has their complete lens control system but I'm running my epic on a Ronin and have a homemade electronic follow focus on there that allows me to one man band it as I want to be able to control the focus myself on the rig from basically a thumb controller. There's gotta be a way to access the focus control inside the camera remotely. Anyone have experience with this?

Oh I should also mention I'm using Canon EF lenses.

Pick up an offhollywood hotlink or RED's redlink/redbridge, then buy FoolControl - best iOS app on the planet for controlling your red, and that will allow you to use your iOS device to control focus. There is a focus wheel on the touch interface - so it's a digital fingerwheel essentially.
    Chris McKechnie
    Director of Photography
    Email - redepicguy@gmail.com
    Reel - https://f.io/mzZcMgPi

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Wait for RTMotion to release their latitude box and it can provide wifi for foolcontrol but also let you use thumbwheels for direct EF lens control.

Chris -> :-)
    FYI there also is a new 'single operator' page in foolcontrol with a linear, multi-speed focus control surface that you can use easily with your eyes off the screen
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

That sounds like exactly what I need. I'm going to look into ordering a redlink and getting fool control. This is great info! Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Chitaroni View Post
    Is there any physical accessory you can buy that plugs into the camera and gives you a knob to control focus directly through the Epic Dragon? I know RED has their complete lens control system but I'm running my epic on a Ronin and have a homemade electronic follow focus on there that allows me to one man band it as I want to be able to control the focus myself on the rig from basically a thumb controller. There's gotta be a way to access the focus control inside the camera remotely. Anyone have experience with this?
    Haha the code of silence ;-) you kids crack me up...
    Here you go
    OptiTron2- exactly what you need
    Has been around for two years. Proven in the field professional Electronic Follow Focus. The ONLY one on the market. Therefore- the best !
    Disclosure- I designed it , build it and sell it.
    Soon to become official RED partner accessory.
    Link to product page: http://optitek.org/products/optitron...eapon-cameras/
    If you search here "optitron2" there are many testimonies, threads and question answered..
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment