Thread: mini mags vs standard mags

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You do get a bump in compression ratios but, as far as I could see, not in fps.

Some randomly selected representative info from the RED Media Guide for Epic Dragon:
    - at 5KFF, best compression while shooting 24 fps is 8:1 on SSD and 6:1 on mini-mag (512/1TB)
    - at 5KFF shooting 96 fps (max), SSD gives 15:1 compression while mini-mag gives 12:1
    Scarlet Dragon
    Scarlet-W

hi all,
    I know this is a pretty old thread... I'm on an Epic-M Dragon / I actually got it via the redirect surf contest RED put on - they loaned us a package to shoot our film, then gave the option to buy it at discount... I went for it and then within months... the New Weapons were released! Hahaaa... I have considered the mini-mag upgrade but I wasn't sure if it was technically possible, from the good info above... sounds like it "is" but maybe not worth the cost.

Does anyone know if they still accept trade-ins on the Mags? Or did that go away when the upgrade program ended? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Baffa View Post
    hi all,
    I know this is a pretty old thread... I'm on an Epic-M Dragon / I actually got it via the redirect surf contest RED put on - they loaned us a package to shoot our film, then gave the option to buy it at discount... I went for it and then within months... the New Weapons were released! Hahaaa... I have considered the mini-mag upgrade but I wasn't sure if it was technically possible, from the good info above... sounds like it "is" but maybe not worth the cost.

Does anyone know if they still accept trade-ins on the Mags? Or did that go away when the upgrade program ended? thanks.
    If you have trouble with high noise when shooting high speed or underexpose a lot and get more noise that way, then the smaller mags help slightly but not so much. Aut the difference is even smaller if exposure is right and you are at normal frame rates.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Baffa View Post
    .....Does anyone know if they still accept trade-ins on the Mags? Or did that go away when the upgrade program ended? thanks.
    The trade in from original REDMAGS to MiniMags went away a long time ago.