Thread: GPS Tracker in Camera case?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 GPS Tracker in Camera case? 
    I've been doing some research and I was looking into buying a GPS tracker to mount inside my camera case. Anyone have any personal recommendations?

Senior Member Nicholas Teixeira's Avatar
    that seems like a good idea! but how to recharge? you can find a lot on eBay.

Junior Member Joseph-Patrick Hung's Avatar
    Spot Trace!
    http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128

I highly recommend it!
    But do look at reviews, it's not perfect. If it looses power for some reason it won't power on by itself (but it has a low battery warning) etc... [But I haven't had any problems with it]

I have one, and I expected some issues as I didn't expect a GPS tracker to not work flawlessly - however I had no problems! From setup to putting it into my camera bag and leaving it - to getting email notifications and tracking data on my phone app - everything worked well! It also is extremely accurate in my experience - I live in London and expected spotty accuracy due to the building density - but it pinpointed my camera exactly! seems to be more accurate than my phone at times to be honest.
    I can't say how good reception it'll get through a peli case - but it should work fine!

For the price it's a great buy. Don't buy the cheap knock offs that claim gps tracking - get this one it's a proper GPS Asset tracker with a global satellite network that has many reviews and testimonies. I also haven't needed to change the battery yet, it's been over a month.

P.S Also my friend who is training to be a commercial pilot says that at the airfield he goes to they attach these to some of their smaller aircrafts in case something goes wrong or it gets stolen - they can track it. So yea it is a professional asset tracker.
    Weapon MG #1076 "The Falcon"

I have had really good luck with trackimo gps tracker. Like with most gps units ,you'll need to charge the unit while not in use. Costs run about $130-160 . Trackimo.com

how long will the battery last on a full charge?
    Camera Rentals
    Washington DC, Baltimore, Mid Atlantic region
    Monsrto VV, Helium, Scarlet, Helium Monochrome, Arri Mini, Mini LF, Amira and Classic, Sony Venice, Varicam LT
    Master Prime's, Summicron's, Cooke S4i, TLS Panchros, Ultra's, Sigma's, TLS Leica R's, Super Speeds
    Anamorphics- Zeiss Master, Cooke, Kowa Evolution, Atlas Orion A + B sets
    www.Dc-camera.com
    Like our Facebook and follow Instagram pages for updates

Junior Member Joseph-Patrick Hung's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Erich Roland View Post
    how long will the battery last on a full charge?
    For the spot trace, it depends on how often it tracks (how often the asset/camera is moving) and the frequency of the tracking. There's a lot of information on their website, here's what they state:
    http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.p...ntry&data=1547

It lasts quite a long time in my experience - over 2 weeks to months?, but it really depends how often it tracks and when the asset moves.

Also the Spot Trace is built extremely well, feels very solid.
    When I was researching for a GPS tracker many of the products I came across (like the trackimo Doug mentioned - which I didn't come across) were based on GSM/Cellular positioning and required a worldwide or local sim. One of the reasons I feel the Spot Trace is really great is because it doesn't rely on cellular networks, it communicates directly with their own satellites - so you can get tracking and coverage where phones don't have reception (outdoors that is). The Spot company also is a reputable and well tested company with various products - you can be assured that you'll have support from them - I can't say that that is likely from other companies who aren't as established.

Anyways that's just my opinion!
    Also heads up, if you do go ahead and get the Spot Trace - it's cheaper to get a annual subscription, and when you want to cancel/end the subscription, you need to notify them I think at least 30 days prior to the renewal date otherwise you'll be charged again.
    Weapon MG #1076 "The Falcon"

I have Tile's in all my camera cases. Maybe not as serious as GPS trackers but they are legit and give me a sense of security.

The spot tracker has a $150 annual subscription.

I'de advise prioritising your budget on insurance first.
    Trackers are good if you have a legitimate and safe method of recovery, for instance if the kit is being shipped regularly.

A handy feature to prolong battery life would be a sleep and wake up function where it checks in say, once per day then goes back to sleep.
    It could revert to this feature when batteries become low.
    Mike Brennan

Do the Tiles actually work? I haven't seen any real reviews on these helping people recover their items. Once you're out of range from the BT connection, another Tile user has to be in close proximity to the device for it to ping their phone. Otherwise, you can have all the Tiles you want, but aren't going to locate your missing property.

I looked into this recently and could find very little evidence they worked outside of their own claims and some very obviously biased reviews. In each of the 2-3 independent legitimate reviews I saw, the users weren't contacted by other users after deliberately leaving their Tiles in public places.
    Join my facebook group for other group buys and special pricing on video kit.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cinekitlist/