Thread: Russian | Soviet | USSR Lens Survival Guide

Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
    22 and 28 can be tricky indeed, which issues did you have with yours?

are you talking about 3-22-1 and 7-28-1, right?

you could try with 4-28-1 which is easier to find in good conditions nowadays...
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon 6K Carbon Fiber #1605 aka qp
    instagram | twitter

Yes, I’m talking about 3-22-1 and 7-28-1 :)

In what way is 4-28-1 different than 7-28-1? Would be great to find a good alternative :)
    7-28-1 is in many ways a nice lens, but the ones I’ve had have not really been exceptional in any way... not that sharp WO and they have had a tendency to vignette a bit.

The 3-22-1’s I’ve had previously have been a hit and miss in regards to sharpness WO especially, and also sensor coverage, and as I’ll move to Komodo with its S35+ sensor, I’m a bit concerned about sensor coverage on the wider lenses...
    Maybe a 1-22-1 (f2.8) could work? - or maybe it will have to sit too deeply into the mount?

If a Cooke SP 25mm S2 or S3 could pretty much match the longer Lomo-lenses in color and general look (except maybe the wildest rainbow flares) I’d be quite happy to swap out both the 22mm and 28mm for a 25mm...
    Guess I’ll just have to test and see for myself, but it would be amazing if someone already have tested tho.

As far as I can recall, the Lomo 35mm (11-35-1) cover S35 just fine... -doesn’t it?

Hello Mathias,
    concerning okc 3-22 i have three of them and they all perform in different ways...
    and you should'nt trust the legend that the later serials performs better.
    I have one from 92 and it's the softer of the bunch.
    If you want to have good wide lomos you should go with the Highspeed ones...i absolutely love my 28mm high-speed...the standard speed is really 10 times worst.
    I'm dreaming of buying 22mm and 18mm high speed CKBK and EKRAN... but it's an expensive solution. ;)

and yes the okc11-35 cover S35 even more...but once again the highspeed 35mm is so so much better (and he nearly cover full frame)
    Good luck with your Lomo quest.

Thank you Florian :)
    Yeah... the sharpest 22mm I have had was from 1979. The randomness in the lenses makes it a bit hard to buy good wide angle Lomo lenses online, so another way (like Cooke SP) would’ve been nice ;)

If I could, then I would absolutely get the Lomo speeds... but they are just too expensive these days - for me anyways.

Now I’m thinking about maybe skip the Lomo 100mm and go for Tair-11 135mm f2.8 instead... OKC2-100-2 is great but a bit close to the 75mm I think... The Tair-11 should match a Lomo set pretty good, right? :)

I am a big fan of the Tair-11 and can't wait for Ironglass to come out with their rehousing of it.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Ilya O. View Post
    Hi, Alex.

MIR-47 2.5/20, at least those I faced, has that nastry green flares of MC. On the other hand, if the shiny parts under the front lens' groups are blackened well (special modification; by default its all shiny internals) there's almost no flares and the color and look is really something special, really.

Hello Ilya,
    How are you?
    I'm wondering where did you try a MIR47 with the shiny internal parts blackened? Do you have some pictures? and who may do this special modification?
    I'm slowly collecting a SOVIET FULL FRAME SET and i would like to try this modifiction on my MIR47 and maybe also on my MC ZENITAR 28mm.

Hi mate.

I saw a post by unknown guy which shared that experience. It impressed me much!

The test sample was a direct into sun shot, in winter! And it was remarkable.
    Well, when I do service ussr lens heads, I typically blacken all internals:-)

Just started reading through this thread. Very much info, indeed. All I can say is that I have been experimenting around and am super impressed with the absolute quality you get for your currency. Sure, you can get some dodgy copies, but that is the fun of it, really! Thanks for the huge amounts of effort gone into this discussion!

I look forward to digging thought the archives.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Russian glass

Thanks a lot