Thread: Qnap raid system

Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    That is cheap, 500 sek/50€ a month.

So with a second NAS in you basement it could become something like this.

10.000 Mbit/s ~ € 50/month.
    Energy is around € 0.20/kWh. (average power 100 Watt) > ~ € 15/month

QNAP TS-1635 (8GB ram)( Volume types: RAID 0/1/5/6/10/50/60, + hot spare, single, JBOD) ~ € 1,500 incl. vat
    12x Seagate IronWolf Pro, 12TB ~ € 470 incl. vat > ~ € 5,640 in raid 6 + hot spare makes ~ 100 TB
    UPS €200
    additional cost ~ € 1.060
    totals € 8.400 over 4 years (write-off) > € 175/month

total monthly cost €(50 + 15 + 175) ~ €240 when you can put it in your basement.

No cloud service provider can beat that 10 Gb/s and 100TB storage/backup
    True,
    On top of it. Stockholm is for most part of the year a cold place. I would estimate I heat my house with electricity like 8 months a year. The cost for electricity to keep the server running is pretty much 100% turning into heat so if placed well, like in the cellar, all that server heat would be something that would bring down my private/houshold cost for heating with the same amount. Not that it´s that much money but still, at the office I have like little cabinet with 3 racks and a large water cooler that runs on streaming tap water which is an additional monthly cost.

I do have a 18 disc Fusion raid from Sonnos that now got 3TB drives in it. Thinking of replacing those with 12TB drives. That would give about 200TB quite reliable and fast storage and 100TB of super redundant storage. Not sure what NAS / operating system I would put on it though, been advised about different linux solutions, but tend to hate those. As of now it´s a TigerSan which is not running well and is not compatible with lates OSX versions so what to change it but have not decided what to do of it just yet. Little or no knowledge in that field.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Hi Bjorn -
    happy new year
    as to your post - what ?
    The power consumption of a QNAP TS-1685 is 127 Watts while being used and 61 watts when in sleep mode. This is nothing.
    The QNAP generates no heat, and makes no noise. You can keep this under your desk where you edit. This is not the old days of noisy hot loud server chassis.
    You do not need to know ANYTHING about Linux - the user interface is a super simple to use WEB GUI - and not only does QNAP do this now, but so does Netgear, Synology and Lumaforge.
    The days of "rocket science" to get this stuff to work is over.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
    Bob Zelin

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Zelin View Post
    Hi Bjorn -
    happy new year
    as to your post - what ?
    The power consumption of a QNAP TS-1685 is 127 Watts while being used and 61 watts when in sleep mode. This is nothing.
    The QNAP generates no heat, and makes no noise. You can keep this under your desk where you edit. This is not the old days of noisy hot loud server chassis.
    You do not need to know ANYTHING about Linux - the user interface is a super simple to use WEB GUI - and not only does QNAP do this now, but so does Netgear, Synology and Lumaforge.
    The days of "rocket science" to get this stuff to work is over.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
    Bob Zelin
    I have the rack mounted Q nap in server chassi, it's quite loud. My post about linux was about what interface I should install on the sonos fusion. It's a 18 disc system and is quite loud and quite power hungry. I dont think anyone would want it in their working environment. But its twice as fast as the Qnaps with 9 spinning drives and runs over dual fiber if wanted.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I have the rack mounted Q nap in server chassi, it's quite loud. My post about linux was about what interface I should install on the sonos fusion. It's a 18 disc system and is quite loud and quite power hungry. I dont think anyone would want it in their working environment. But its twice as fast as the Qnaps with 9 spinning drives and runs over dual fiber if wanted.
    The rack units are loud, which is why I went with the desktop format. My 872xt is quiet.

M
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"