Thread: Is there a simple wireless or jammable timecode module?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Is there a simple wireless or jammable timecode module? 
    Hi all.

I want to use my Zoom F4 audio recorder as a timecode source and transmit the timecode to my camera. I'm seeing units (like the Tentacle) that you can supposedly jam to a source then stick on your camera... but they're useless for this and many other scenarios because there's no BNC timecode input.

I don't want to buy a generator/transmitter and two receivers, when I already have a TC source on hand. If there's a generator that I can hard-wire into the audio recorder as a source and also transmit wirelessly to a receiver on the camera, I guess that would be OK (being only two units instead of three).

Price is important. You can buy two Tentacles for only $360 (and I really only need one). That's the price range I'm targeting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

UPDATE: Looks like there's a BNC-to-1/8" adapter to get TC into the Tentacle. So... I wonder if I can use the same cable from the unit into the camera's TC input.
    Last edited by Palmer Woodrow; 12-16-2017 at 05:54 PM.

I like the MOZE TC generators..i have a few of the clocks and they are super accurate.

https://www.mozegear.com/tig-q28-series

And the new nanolockits aren't very expensive considering they come from THE benchmark company for TC clocks.

https://nanolockit.com/de/shop-de/

No affiliation, just obsessed with TC..

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

The tentacles are brilliant for the money. The new versions let you check tc on the units with your phone. Have used them with the Zoom F8 no problem.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Reel

Website
    Instagram

I use a Tentacle jammed to my F8. It feeds timecode reliably without drift all day. I have a Scarlet Dragon and use the correct cable. Tentacle also has a strategy for embedding timecode into the audio if you use a DSLR. What camera are you using that you can’t get a single jammed Tentacle and hang it on it to feed it timecode?

Tentacle!!!

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer Woodrow View Post

UPDATE: Looks like there's a BNC-to-1/8" adapter to get TC into the Tentacle. So... I wonder if I can use the same cable from the unit into the camera's TC input.
    Yes you can.
    DOP / Digital Lighting Camera Operator
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Tentacle is awesome for the money.
    A Peter Strietmann
    plaidass1@mac.com
    [url]https://peterstrietmann.com

"Read or bleed people, learn or burn."

You really should post this over in the audio subforum:

www.reduser.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?32-Audio

Tentacle Sync was a major groundbreaker with TC when the came out a couple of years or so ago. Radically slashing the price of TC boxes down! (not just price, but size too!) And now they're cheaper than ever.

However the market responded eventually with a few other options with a low price point and small size. So timecode boxes these days are dirt dirt cheap, and but a small amount of your total gear budget.

I feel the pick of them all is the Ultrasync ONE (together with the :wave bundle), which is absolutely PACKED with features, all at a similarly low price and small size.

I own both Tentacle Syncs, and the new Ultrasync ONEs, and I use them a lot as I'm a professional sound recordist so this is my main focus and passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer Woodrow View Post

Yes, you can get any possible TC cable you can imagine for the Tentacle. Ditto for the Ultrasync ONE or any of the other TC box options. Not a problem!

You will however need to also get an external battery (I use BP-U30, or BP-U60) for your Zoom F4, so you don't need to ever turn it off (otherwise you'll lose accurate TC).
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Ultrasynch one looks very interesting!
    Thanks for the info David!
    Pat

I use both the Mozegear Tig Q28 and the Tentacle. I like them both but the Tentacle is just so small and light that it wins out over the Q28 most of the time. Especially when you're on a gimbal and everyone (Follow Focus, Teradek, wireless audio hop, etc.) wants to put their stuff on the camera.

As you mentioned yourself, yes there is a BNC-to-1/8". You can use it to both jam Tentacle from the F-4 and Tentacle to the camera.
    ---------------------------------
    Director/DP
    DSMC2 Gemini "Amy"
    Cable Cam
    MŌVI M10 & PRO
    BlackArm
    ALTA 6

www.83west.xyz
    https://vimeo.com/user486354