Thread: Best Glass for Red Helium 8k

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Best Glass for Red Helium 8k 
    I've been trying to figure this out for a while, especially recommendations for wider zooms. I generally tend to use Angenieux zooms but have recently found some strange behavior on the wider zooms (i.e. noticable chromatic aberration, barrel distortion, and lack of sharpness).

Also, what have other Helium users found to be the best lightweight primes for the Helium sensor that work well with its dense pixel count.

I love my leica r's

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Anton Esteban View Post
    I've been trying to figure this out for a while, especially recommendations for wider zooms. I generally tend to use Angenieux zooms but have recently found some strange behavior on the wider zooms (i.e. noticable chromatic aberration, barrel distortion, and lack of sharpness).

Also, what have other Helium users found to be the best lightweight primes for the Helium sensor that work well with its dense pixel count.
    If you have the budget and size doesn't freak you out the Zeiss CZ are optically really nice and cover FF35. Many like the Sigma Zooms as well if you are looking for a lower budget option and a smidge faster. You may want to look at the Zeiss 21-100mm LWZ T2.9-3.9 as it sounds like you're looking for lightweight options.

Primes, lightest cinema class primes I think at the moment are Zeiss CP.3s if we are talking PL mount outside of things like Rokinons or rehoused stuff. The Sigmas are a bit heavier, but are faster at T1.5.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks Phil!

I've never tried those Zeiss primes, I'll be sure to check em out. I've used their zooms in the past and they're great but they're a tad heavy and large. I like using the small Angenieux zooms because I can actually balance it on a MoVi Pro. I've recently got to balance an EZ zoom in there but it was definitely pushing the motors to the max. Although I just ordered these and hopefully this will make me use less cinemilled weights.

https://store.ignitedigi.com.au/coll...-cage-offsetts

On another note, does anyone know if Ultra Primes cover Helium 8k? And has anyone actually tried these lenses yet?

http://gecko-cam.com/gecko-cam/genes...is-g35-lenses/

Apparently they cover 8k Vista Vision.