Thread: Mixing Red Raven and Canon C Log???

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Mixing Red Raven and Canon C Log??? 
    Is this a realistic approach to use my B Camera "5D Mk4" and shoot in 4K C Log and mix it with my Red Raven?. Basically i need the Dual auto focus for a few Ronin shots where I'm running with the actor and this setup is much easier to deal with for a one man crew. Its not for a Feature just short film that will be submitted to film festivals.

Thx for the help guys
    Red Raven #727
    DP, Director, Producer, Editor.

www.westwoodfilms.ca
    info@westwoodfilms.ca

Resolve Lite has a Colour Transform function which allows you to enter your input Colour/Gamma setting and set your output Colour/Gamma setting. (E.g. Input Rec709/C-Log, output RWG/L3G10... Or RWG/L3G10 to Alexa/LogC). No, it doesn't work miracles (magically make your busted ass baked 8bit turn into something good), but it might get you half-way there without much effort.

Conversely, even a mediocre colourist can get you within spitting distance... Though they'd probably opt to match the Raven footage to the Canon (since that'll be the lowest common denominator).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Resolve Lite has a Colour Transform function which allows you to enter your input Colour/Gamma setting and set your output Colour/Gamma setting. (E.g. Input Rec709/C-Log, output RWG/L3G10... Or RWG/L3G10 to Alexa/LogC). No, it doesn't work miracles (magically make your busted ass baked 8bit turn into something good), but it might get you half-way there without much effort.

Conversely, even a mediocre colourist can get you within spitting distance... Though they'd probably opt to match the Raven footage to the Canon (since that'll be the lowest common denominator).
    thx for the info.
    Red Raven #727

www.westwoodfilms.ca
    info@westwoodfilms.ca

I have done this and was able to get them decently close, a better colorist can get them even closer. So it definitely is possible.

Color Space Transform is only designed for 6000K. Anything else and it doesn't work properly. On top of that, even if you're not a good colorist, you can likely get better results just playing around with the knobs vs. trying to use the color space transform.

My favorite use of it is to convert to xyz linear for adjusting exposure in prores materials just like you would with raw images.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel S View Post
    Is this a realistic approach to use my B Camera "5D Mk4" and shoot in 4K C Log and mix it with my Red Raven?.
    Well, you write "my" 5D mkIV and "my" Raven. You've got both cameras?

How about you tell us instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedram Talai View Post
    I have done this and was able to get them decently close, a better colorist can get them even closer. So it definitely is possible.
    thx im still new at color grading so i didnt push my luck for that project but i will give it a shot on the next one.
    Red Raven #727

www.westwoodfilms.ca
    info@westwoodfilms.ca

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeMarkefors View Post
    Well, you write "my" 5D mkIV and "my" Raven. You've got both cameras?

How about you tell us instead?
    im a noob colorist i bet with practice it should be good. Test in progress 😁🤙🏼
    Red Raven #727

www.westwoodfilms.ca
    info@westwoodfilms.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah Miller View Post
    Color Space Transform is only designed for 6000K. Anything else and it doesn't work properly. On top of that, even if you're not a good colorist, you can likely get better results just playing around with the knobs vs. trying to use the color space transform.

My favorite use of it is to convert to xyz linear for adjusting exposure in prores materials just like you would with raw images.
    thats exactly what im trying to do but im not 100% happy with the results the Red footage look so much better...
    Red Raven #727

www.westwoodfilms.ca
    info@westwoodfilms.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel S View Post
    Is this a realistic approach to use my B Camera "5D Mk4" and shoot in 4K C Log and mix it with my Red Raven?. Basically i need the Dual auto focus for a few Ronin shots where I'm running with the actor and this setup is much easier to deal with for a one man crew. Its not for a Feature just short film that will be submitted to film festivals.

Thx for the help guys
    Hey Daniel,

I played around with matching it with c100 footage, I found you have to push the Raven stuff more to look like the other stuff.
    The IPP2 selections helped with that.

The latitude difference forced me to blow out the Raven stuff more to make that match.
    I found the Raven way more sensitive to the stupid fluro lighting as well, so was tweaking to clean that as well.

I got it to an alright spot that I and clients where happy with, most people are not looking for it anyways.
    Specially if shot changes are dynamic enough. Sorry I couldn't help more and good luck!

Maybe let us know what you find works?