Thread: DR ..a good discussion!!

Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 633
  1. #201  
    Senior Member rand thompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,055
    Luigi,

    Thank you very much for providing this footage!! I am on a tablet right now, but I will get to them later on this morning.


    Rand
    Last edited by rand thompson; 04-26-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #202  
    Senior Member rand thompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,055
    Luigi,

    The "CINE5K" folder seems to be the only folder with files. Is that correct?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #203  
    Senior Member luigivaltulini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Switzerland- LUGANO
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Luigi,

    The "CINE5K" folder seems to be the only folder with files. Is that correct?
    tre folder A3/ c1-c5-c9 . ;)
    Grading Suite Davinci Resolve, Rental RED Digital camera.
    MONSTRO 8k CF #831 "BLACK PEARL" , EPIC-W GEMINI # "DAFNE".
    ARRI ALEXA EV , ALEXA MINI LF "ROZI"


    SITE
    www.cine5k.ch
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #204  
    Senior Member rand thompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,055
    Luigi,

    Thanks Luigi!

    The "A003_C001_0424GZ.RDC" folder has the largest amount. However, with my slow internet speeds, those "3.76GB" files, just one them, is going to take a fairly long time to download.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #205  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    115
    Luigi I have a question for you. Now that you have at your disposal an Alexa Mini, RED Montstro, and a Gemini which camera do you feel has the nicest skintones and color out of the box? This forum gives plenty of example of how the Monstro and Gemini are beasts in lowlight but there's not too many shots with all three cameras in good lighting situations with peoples faces (Im still downloading the footage from your FTP:)

    I own a Helium Weapon and a Dragon and I'm really debating what to do. Thinking of waiting until next year to see if Arri comes out with a 4k Alexa Mini and to see if Panasonic can actually make a camera with their 8k dream sensor (heard they're having plenty of problems with heat and power) but I'm also pretty impressed with what I've been seeing with the Gemini and Monstro. I just wish there was more daylight footage with all three cameras to see the difference. Looking at the footage you've been uploading on a 65" 4k Monitor and there's no question that the old Alexa just doesn't have the resolution or lowlight sensitivity to make it a worthwhile future proof investment. But just did a job with two Alexa Minis (client request) and can't deny how easy it is to work with their color science to make clients happy, especially when it comes to skin (job with the Mini's was for Neutrogena). Any honest feedback from someone who actually has all three would be amazing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #206  
    Senior Member rand thompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,055
    Woman in Black Redo

    Internet problems with files from Luigi's server so reposted these.


    [IMG]Woman in Black 1 by rand thompson, on Flickr[/IMG]


    [IMG]Woman in Black 2 by rand thompson, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #207  
    Senior Member luigivaltulini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Switzerland- LUGANO
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton Esteban View Post
    Luigi I have a question for you. Now that you have at your disposal an Alexa Mini, RED Montstro, and a Gemini which camera do you feel has the nicest skintones and color out of the box? This forum gives plenty of example of how the Monstro and Gemini are beasts in lowlight but there's not too many shots with all three cameras in good lighting situations with peoples faces (Im still downloading the footage from your FTP:)

    I own a Helium Weapon and a Dragon and I'm really debating what to do. Thinking of waiting until next year to see if Arri comes out with a 4k Alexa Mini and to see if Panasonic can actually make a camera with their 8k dream sensor (heard they're having plenty of problems with heat and power) but I'm also pretty impressed with what I've been seeing with the Gemini and Monstro. I just wish there was more daylight footage with all three cameras to see the difference. Looking at the footage you've been uploading on a 65" 4k Monitor and there's no question that the old Alexa just doesn't have the resolution or lowlight sensitivity to make it a worthwhile future proof investment. But just did a job with two Alexa Minis (client request) and can't deny how easy it is to work with their color science to make clients happy, especially when it comes to skin (job with the Mini's was for Neutrogena). Any honest feedback from someone who actually has all three would be amazing.
    Anton,
    yours is a good observation point.
    Unfortunately I have not yet had time to film with three cameras in comparison.
    I can cut out a few hours in the evening to understand how they behave. As you said Gemini and Monstro are beasts compared to Alexa at night. Until now there is no discussion.
    In the coming weeks I should cut out a day for the skin tones in daylight. So we can understand better.
    For now Monstro and Gemini have not yet put them into production, this because I want to understand the merits and defects.
    Even today many productions film at 1080, advertising videoclip some fiction, what still counts is the visual quality of the colors and the ease of the workflow. I see a lot of my customers who talk about 8k get scared. I can understand them also because you have to have good PC or MAc to manage this flow. You can always work with the proxy but then you have to have time for the color and the render with good machines able to manage everything in real time. Have the customer in color and have to wait to play or render as soon as you put some knot in more is not the best. And 8k raw to full debayer on 4k timeline is not that easy. These times on the roadmap are more costs on the productions and not all have the budget to do it. Especially in these times where everything runs faster and has no money.
    So an ALEXA where produces excellent prores out of the box and excellent colors ease the customer to choose Alexa consolidated for almost 10 years.
    Your question is hard to answer, from what little I have seen so far Gemini and Monstro on paper have the possibility to overturn this situation but not in the short period of time. The prores they produce are really good and with the new stream simplified IPP2 everything flows faster.
    I think that for the skin tones on these two cameras are much more accurate in any lighting condition. This is what I saw in a short time.
    Gemini, ALexa, Monstro have three personalities. So I would never, personal opinion, that they resembled but rather have the possibility of having three possibilities of stamp. This would allow me to choose the ideal sensor for customer production.
    Yes skintone is the reference point for everyone, or at least the ease of getting to the skin color without much difficulty.
    I'm curious too, so I'll do these tests as soon as possible.
    I risk your answer, if I had seen right in this short time and had to choose now, having no camera and no problems of money, my choice would certainly fall on Monstro. ;)
    Grading Suite Davinci Resolve, Rental RED Digital camera.
    MONSTRO 8k CF #831 "BLACK PEARL" , EPIC-W GEMINI # "DAFNE".
    ARRI ALEXA EV , ALEXA MINI LF "ROZI"


    SITE
    www.cine5k.ch
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #208  
    Senior Member luigivaltulini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Switzerland- LUGANO
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Woman in Black Redo
    Internet problems with files from Luigi's server so reposted these.
    Rand , my ftp work what is the problem?
    Grading Suite Davinci Resolve, Rental RED Digital camera.
    MONSTRO 8k CF #831 "BLACK PEARL" , EPIC-W GEMINI # "DAFNE".
    ARRI ALEXA EV , ALEXA MINI LF "ROZI"


    SITE
    www.cine5k.ch
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #209  
    Senior Member rand thompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,055
    Luigi,

    My Internet is the problem. We had a very bad storm which blew down trees and power lines. Internet service is still spotty and large downloads never seem to be able to finish, I have to constantly reset my Wi-Fi high speed modem. Hopefully the problem will be resolved soon but for right now " It is what it is".
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #210  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by luigivaltulini View Post
    Anton,
    yours is a good observation point.
    Unfortunately I have not yet had time to film with three cameras in comparison.
    I can cut out a few hours in the evening to understand how they behave. As you said Gemini and Monstro are beasts compared to Alexa at night. Until now there is no discussion.
    In the coming weeks I should cut out a day for the skin tones in daylight. So we can understand better.
    For now Monstro and Gemini have not yet put them into production, this because I want to understand the merits and defects.
    Even today many productions film at 1080, advertising videoclip some fiction, what still counts is the visual quality of the colors and the ease of the workflow. I see a lot of my customers who talk about 8k get scared. I can understand them also because you have to have good PC or MAc to manage this flow. You can always work with the proxy but then you have to have time for the color and the render with good machines able to manage everything in real time. Have the customer in color and have to wait to play or render as soon as you put some knot in more is not the best. And 8k raw to full debayer on 4k timeline is not that easy. These times on the roadmap are more costs on the productions and not all have the budget to do it. Especially in these times where everything runs faster and has no money.
    So an ALEXA where produces excellent prores out of the box and excellent colors ease the customer to choose Alexa consolidated for almost 10 years.
    Your question is hard to answer, from what little I have seen so far Gemini and Monstro on paper have the possibility to overturn this situation but not in the short period of time. The prores they produce are really good and with the new stream simplified IPP2 everything flows faster.
    I think that for the skin tones on these two cameras are much more accurate in any lighting condition. This is what I saw in a short time.
    Gemini, ALexa, Monstro have three personalities. So I would never, personal opinion, that they resembled but rather have the possibility of having three possibilities of stamp. This would allow me to choose the ideal sensor for customer production.
    Yes skintone is the reference point for everyone, or at least the ease of getting to the skin color without much difficulty.
    I'm curious too, so I'll do these tests as soon as possible.
    I risk your answer, if I had seen right in this short time and had to choose now, having no camera and no problems of money, my choice would certainly fall on Monstro. ;)
    Luigi, thank you so much for writing this, this is all extremely helpful. Beginning to think my ideal situation would be to upgrade my Helium Weapon to a Monstro and save money for an Alexa Mini 2 (if it ever actually comes out). This would truly be an ideal scenario and somehow have the best of both worlds. Thanks again for all the files you keep posting, I hope RED gives you a good discount for all the invaluable support you're giving all of us REDUSERS :)
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts