Thread: NAB 2018: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    Unfortunately it is very unlikely that either IBIS or object tracking AF will be implemented as these are proprietary technologies of Canon and Sony (only two that work well) and the amount of R&D put in these is beyond BM scope and makes no sense for them as far as ROI. Sony and canon can get their ROI from the consumer sector with phones and cheap digital cameras. BM has no products in the consumer sector.

Errr Olympus for IBIS ? Probably the best at it too, certainly innovators. Fuji just added it. Minolta I think did it first. Pentax have it. You know...not just Canon and Sony.

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

What does that have to do with BMPCC 4K NOT having it?
    Anyway, I meant (properly working)auto focus and IS. Canon and Sony and, I guess Fuji. Minolta is Sony so....
    I know - we hear what we want to hear, read what we want to read, pick and choose, ignore the rest....
    Oh well...
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I wouldn't read too much into the images.

Normally BMD have done special builds for NAB to lock out the recording functions. I'm guessing they overlooked it.

When it's ready I'm sure there will be launch images.

I'm surprised they didn't lock out recordings for these ones, is as simple as using glue to keep the cards in the slot!

Wonder why they didn't do this at this year's NAB. Maybe it was as basic as a simple oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah Miller View Post
    IBIS and Autofocus are way beyond the scope of what Blackmagic is capable of. Even RED would probably run into issues creating these technologies due to the cost of developing these features and the return. Blackmagic adds every feature they know how, and it feels like every new camera introduces something they learn from making a new product. The preamps in this camera and the Ursa Mini Pro are a result of what they learned designing the audio inputs on the Video Assist 4k. The monitor on the pocket is the same on the video assist and 4.6k as well. And the direct to USB raw recording was what they learned from designing a SSD recorder for the Ursa Mini Cameras. Every time they make a new product, they gradually learn something new, and eventually that knowledge trickles into their newer products, allowing them to produce cameras such as these at ridiculously low price points.

Well put
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Seriously?
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

-Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan levy View Post
    im laughing at the hacked camera, hmmm, maybe the one who makes a living at it for 25 years. maybe the one who has shot and sold feature docs...maybe..well...
    yeah, this is such a great forum, no wonder everyone leaves. im done, have fun debating over nothing.
    Look, there are people that would debate to stupid degrees how unprofessional the old 5D was. To me it's a flexible rubber band, somebody in the bottom end in those days, it was a good option. But the hacked 5D got rid of most of those issues, and made it much better (maybe you haven't kept up with the raw recording etc hack since then). Hardly nothing, much more professional. But unhacked is a stretch here. Have a sense of humour Jordan.
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

-Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel A. View Post
    Wayne, how did we arrive here? What contribution Edison, Tesla, Nyquist or Ambarella (yeah, companies too, of course) gave to this make it happen? Revolutionary is surely not only tech or hi-tech players to conform about. You said it all though, on my behalf: "It is only revolutionary as in the market price point and access". Not exactly only but especially. Revolutionary is not only technology but the way it changes the world around. To be able of that label of techie is not to be in a world aside. That's the whole thing where Ambarella citation as for instance matches, not mere details IMNSHO : ) Revolutions are no more no less than the combination of a path of increments just arrived at a certain point of the road. Pure illusion. Just the whole (the combination) is bigger than the sum of the parts to impact further. Where all parts count. Very democratic, where hierarchy counts less. When we arrive there... Just that :-)
    Round X. You must have stopped reading somewhere. It's always the ones that stop reading and start acting. Go back and read the 3nd of my replay at least.

Now, those people actually did stuff revolutionary, not incremental advancements off the backs of others, more important people like them, and for followers to call others revolutionary instead. If you know about ambarella, you will know they changed the camera landscape and led to a major jump in image quality below the less significant cinema cameras. To question that, is not to know that. You would know, that they had the most advanced chip technology designed in by a team of leaders in the field. Frsbkyz if you wanted to do a cinema camera ASIC better, I 2oyls say hire them. It probably will be more compact and use a lot less power.

Now, I stated about everybody working together. But if you want to be a real revolutionary, bring down the evil leaders of the industry. But nobody has done that, but could have. So what is revolutionary $2000 airfares verses $3000 airfares on a $300 flight. Of $300 anti gravity shuttle flight that takes a tenth the time, maybe even a taxi that turns up on your door step and flys you to my doorstep in 20 minutes for $300. That's truely revolutionary. You are arguing about $2000 airfares.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    What does that have to do with BMPCC 4K NOT having it?
    Anyway, I meant (properly working)auto focus and IS. Canon and Sony and, I guess Fuji. Minolta is Sony so....
    I know - we hear what we want to hear, read what we want to read, pick and choose, ignore the rest....
    Oh well...
    Maybe the bit where you actually said

"unlikely that either IBIS or object tracking AF will be implemented as these are proprietary technologies of Canon and Sony (only two that work well)"

So I thought it worth listing some of other companies you didn't mention that do IBIS that works really well, namely Olympus who have long done it best and now Fuji.

Just in case anyone thought it was only Sony or Canon by your posting. Cause that's what you said back there.

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

Just n case anyone missed it my post was about the camera being advertised with vloggers while obviously missing the features essential for said vloggers- IBIS (combined with lens IS preferred), object tracking AF, articulating screen. Just to be clear that is what the post was about while also mentioned that it is unlikely for these features to be added (at least the first two) any time soon due to the massive investment needed VS relatively low volume sales, hence insufficient ROI. I hope it now is crystal clear to everyone that may be even remotely interested. If John or anyone has a logical denial of the above I'm all ears and totally open minded.
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

And a bare minimum a camera targeted at vloggers should have a screen that flips towards you.

I vlog sometimes with my BMPCC, bit tricky when I can't see myself!! For that alone I'd have got the BMPCC4K if I could get it facing me.
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Quote Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
    I would like to hear people who have had the camera in their hands at NAB or in testing. Actual impressions please.
    I'll be getting one. At that price it's a no brainer. I liked what I saw at NAB. Really goofy industrial design though. But at least they're consistent with that.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram