Thread: BackBlaze B2 Cloud Storage anyone?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 BackBlaze B2 Cloud Storage anyone? 
    Anyone using BackBlaze B2 cloud storage for online media storage? Other price competitive products you're using? I'm not a post professional (yet) but seem to need to backup/store 60-80 TB per year. I have no investment in LTO so looking at cloud to start offsite storage.

10TB Easystores are going for $200 right now. Depending on your internet and bank access, keeping hard drives in a safety deposit box might be easier. It definitely would be cheaper.

Thanks for the reply.
    Everything is on hard drives now. Lifespan is a concern, especially older drives (some are over 12 yrs old- Firewire, esata, and yeah, sometimes I wonder why I feel compelled to save the data). At this time, 2019, just not planning to add LTO. I'm not a post house nor full time post professional.
    I also store 35mm and 16mm but that's another story...

Personally, I don't get cloud site backups for video professionals, that have countless terabytes of data storage. I build a 100 TB QNAP server for a client in Washington DC, and they wanted to start using Backblaze B2 to back it up. I said "ok" (what did I know).
    So Backblaze mailed them a "box" and said "back it up to this, and send it back to us". The "box" turned out to be an off the shelf Synology. So when you want to backup 100 Gigs of data - no problem. But when you want to backup a ton of data, companies like
    Backblaze literally mail you a network attached storage system, tell you to back it up onto their box (in the Backblaze case - it was a Synology) - and mail it back to them, and they will transfer the data to their cloud site. This translates to they transfer the small NAS onto their massive servers, which you can access over the internet (but God help you if you have to download 30 TB of data !). Amazon S3 does the same thing - they mail you a "Snowball" which is a 50 TB drive with a 10G network connection, you backup your data to it, mail it back to Amazon, and they transfer the data onto their servers, back at Amazon (not over the internet).

SO - I told my client "why would you do this - why not just go out any buy your own Synology - the exact same box - and keep it in your home (because it's small)." Anyway - he wound up buying an identical QNAP, we backed up the 100 TB in the office, he brought home the second QNAP, and now he does incremental backups every weekend over the internet (about 100 - 200 Gigs). Because you can't transfer 100 TB of data over the internet. I don't care how fast your ISP connection is.
    And if his office ever burned down, or got burglarized, he would simply grab his backup system, and go back to work the next day.

I think that "one day" when companies like Google, Amazon and Apple wind up buying out the cable companies, they will invest the infrastructure money to have real 10G connections for businesses, and THEN you can use a "cloud site" for this type of backup.
    Until then - maybe its ok for QuickBooks, etc. but not for video pro's.

Bob Zelin

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Zelin View Post
    Because you can't transfer 100 TB of data over the internet. I don't care how fast your ISP connection is.
    I back up multi-terabyte shoots to cloud storage several times a week. Not sure what the fuss is about.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Meyer View Post
    I back up multi-terabyte shoots to cloud storage several times a week. Not sure what the fuss is about.
    I have many TBs backed up to Backblaze's standard consumer cloud backup service as well. 1Gb upload speed works wonders. Of course you want a local copy/backup of the data as well.

It all comes down to your internet upload speed and the cost of the internet connection.
    A 10 gb/s consumer internet connection in Sweden is only $40/month.

For us it was cheaper to run a redundant server in an other free standing building 500 meters away.

Yes, in the process of setting up a 10g NAS, but the question is mid term backup offsite.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Kim View Post
    Yes, in the process of setting up a 10g NAS, but the question is mid term backup offsite.
    Most cloud storage providers are pretty much okay (incl. BlackBlaze).
    It's more a question of your internet speed, is it state of the art Swedish 10 gb/s $40/month consumer internet or is it Ajit Pai driven prehistoric slow expensive internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Most cloud storage providers are pretty much okay (incl. BlackBlaze).
    It's more a question of your internet speed, is it state of the art Swedish 10 gb/s $40/month consumer internet or is it Ajit Pai driven prehistoric slow expensive internet.
    Upload speed is 910 Mbps, according to Verizon Fios speed test.