Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 58 of 371 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Blackmagic reacts to RED Komodo

Perfect! Komodo is shaping up to be the affordable RED I've been waiting for since the original 3K for $3k Scarlet. Now it's looking like 6k for $6k. Within reach for a serious hobby cam.

Don't forget the licensing agreement between ATOMOS and RED from back in January:

http://downloads.atomos.com/investor...with%20RED.pdf
    Jason Diamond
    The Diamond Bros.
    Frame.io
    @jasondiamond

2 x Monstro VV Stormtrooper / 2 x Gemini / 2 x Komodo
    Leica-R Duclos Cine-mod 16mm-180mm

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Veen View Post
    I know I already said it maybe once or twice in the thread already, but since it's made a resurgence I'll throw in that this is a feature I'd love to see as well but I'm fairly doubtful that we'll get it.

Both the DSMC1 and 2 OLPF's had some fairly significant extra space around the edges that in it's current form, based on Jarred's sensor photo, just seems like there's not enough room for with the fixed mount.
    Although, things like clip filters exist so maybe RED could do a similar but more secure slim-style for the OLPF than we've seen before.
    Glad to see there's a couple of us :) Hopefully there'll be a way to do it. Yes the current design with shorter flange distance probably means it couldn't be implemented the same way as before but like you mention there are slim solutions out there so perhaps RED has a desire to maintain their swappable OLPFs design and they came up with a way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca Perin View Post
    What do you think for a RAVEN user? Komodo as A/B cam? Waiting for a DSMC3 and keep the RAVEN as a B cam. It looks like KOMODO is awesome and flexible, maybe the only thing is how to power accessories (motors, transmitters). DSMC2 is a more professional platform even if the GUI is soooo slow in my raven and it needs a refresh.
    no one actually has any idea if the Komodo out performs the Raven, im having doubts it will. the benefits so far that we know of is a slightly bigger sensor and the 4k sdi output, other then that, not sure if anything else is actually better, it might be crippled in its frame rates and compression for all we know.

I really think it's time, we've seen enough teasers and we need the specs and capabilities released to us so people can get on planning the future of this year.
    Last edited by jordan levy; 08-16-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan levy View Post
    I really think it's time, we've seen enough teasers and we need the specs and capabilities released to us so people can get on planning the future of this year.
    I agree. I'm properly prepared and interested and more teasing would probably just annoy. Time to pull back the curtain and let us decide how to spend our cash.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan levy View Post
    no one actually has any idea if the Komodo out performs the Raven, im having doubts it will. the benefits so far that we know of is a slightly bigger sensor and the 4k sdi output, other then that, not sure if anything else is actually better, it might be crippled in its frame rates and compression for all we know.

Maybe they're not completely finalized yet? Also they love hyping stuff... I wouldn't expect that to change.
    http://jeffreyloewe.com

Producer and Cinematographer at Tesla Motors

Very cool. This thing already has more high-end credits than most:

Steven Soderbergh Announces New Secret Film ‘Let Them All Talk’ With Meryl Streep & Gemma Chan

"One feature of the film is that it’s being shot on the brand-spanking-new RED Komodo Dragon camera, a state-of-the-art digital RED camera meant to be the new platinum standard for digital cameras. As Soderbergh has already suggested on Twitter, along with Jarred Land, the President of RED DIGITAL CINEMA, the Komodo Dragon is hot off the press and was just made production-ready at the last minute after some 11th hour troubleshooting (Land just posted an Instagram story about getting the camera ready with 48 hours notice, see below).

Soderbergh was a test guinea pig for the RED ONE cameras on his two-part “Che” movies in 2008 and he’s opted to be the patient zero test case subject again for “Let Them All Talk.” The Komodo cameras are also expected to be used for David Fincher‘s upcoming “Mank” film for Netflix starring Gary Oldman."

https://theplaylist.net/steven-soder...talk-20190815/

I really hope that EXT port supports a breakout cable to enable a variety of control and I/O functions. If so, I further hope that RED has engaged with 3rd parties (pin outs, voltages, SDK) to develop a plethora of solutions for the incredible variety of use cases that have, and are, manifesting. Komodo may be an excellent tool for traditional narrative cinema projects, but in 2019 there are many other worlds to conquer.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    I really hope that EXT port supports a breakout cable to enable a variety of control and I/O functions. If so, I further hope that RED has engaged with 3rd parties (pin outs, voltages, SDK) to develop a plethora of solutions for the incredible variety of use cases that have, and are, manifesting. Komodo may be an excellent tool for traditional narrative cinema projects, but in 2019 there are many other worlds to conquer.

Cheers - #19
    I'd really like some sort of Timecode functionality and I'll just assume something is going on with that front. The 3.5mm Mic jack is cool for slapping a powered mic in there, but since this thing is small it's gonna be sort of gold for documentary shooters who are looking to achieve likely more audio than this little guy can handle. #hoping
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I'd really like some sort of Timecode functionality and I'll just assume something is going on with that front. The 3.5mm Mic jack is cool for slapping a powered mic in there, but since this thing is small it's gonna be sort of gold for documentary shooters who are looking to achieve likely more audio than this little guy can handle. #hoping
    This thing has to have some sort of TC. I can't imagine Soderbergh and Fincher would be bolting TentacleSyncs on in an actual production.