Thread: Catalina ends support for NAS...anybody going to miss it?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Catalina ends support for NAS...anybody going to miss it? 
    I've been following a discussion on the Apple forums about Catalina's unreliable behavior concerning NAS devices. There are many people complaining. I just saw this post, which basically says:

At first they appeared willing to help: a support engineer did a remote connect to my MacBook, we did a screen recording and a dump of the network traffic when recreating the connection problems with my NAS. It then remained quiet. After sending a reminder to Apple I got the anwser that 1) Apple does not support NAS and 2) I should contact the manufacturer of my NAS.
    Now, the user who posted in Dutch, and the Apple support ticket he points to is in Dutch, so there may be a bit of a language translation problem. But the fact remains: Catalina has broken NAS connections that have been stable since OSX Lion, and Apple seems far more intent on promoting DAS (direct attach storage) than anything else. And it seems to be the case for many other users all over the world, with absolutely nothing coming back from Apple.

Would you be inconvenienced at all if Apple were to say "SMB and AFP? RIP!" Do you have enough sway with Apple to get them to address this issue in a more serious fashion?

I've already paused my plans to get a Mac Pro 2019 for other reasons, but it looks like its time to really migrate away from the whole platform.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Apple is not ending support for SMB and AFP or network file sharing, NAS, etc... Well, they are on their server end of things. It looks like Mac OS Server is going to finally be put to pasture, as Apple has seemingly wanted to do for some time now.

NAS compliance with other servers like FreeNAS, QNAP, Synology, etc.. all still work just fine under the latest Catalina release and betas.

If Apple were to remove support for common network protocols like SMB, etc.. they wouldn’t just have an unhappy customer base, they would have class action law suits and other more serious things to deal with.

Apple is not pushing a lot for DAS or large external or even localized storage. They want people on the cloud. And seem to be oblivious that the cloud doesn’t help people who have to move many GB, or TB of data in a single day. And as soon as you’re paying someone else for your daily bulk storage, you’ve already made a poor decision, IMO.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

I should also say that Apple trying to kill OSX Server is still speculation by some. There is no outward sign of that and they are promoting the Mac Pro, in particular the rack mount configuration, for use as a server. Also promoting internal bulk / RAID storage solutions from Promise specifically and a couple others about to join the market with both HDD and SSD options.

OSX Catalina has direct support for 25G, 40G, 100G (and now it seems 400G too) network adapters from Intel, Mellanox and a couple others. Which are all new additions now that the new Mac Pro has PCIe slots again.

...Which brings me to the question of Catalina breaking NAS connections/ support. Only report I’ve seen is some glitchiness with OSX Server, hence the speculation it might be on its way out.
    - Jeff Kilgroe

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    OSX Catalina has direct support for 25G, 40G, 100G (and now it seems 400G too) network adapters from Intel, Mellanox and a couple others. Which are all new additions now that the new Mac Pro has PCIe slots again.
    Jeff, does Catalina really have driver support for Mellanox etc? That's cool if so, I haven't been able to find more info on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Pearson View Post
    Jeff, does Catalina really have driver support for Mellanox etc? That's cool if so, I haven't been able to find more info on it though.
    I’m going to go out on a limb and say yes, as there are models listed if you dig in the OS. I don’t have a Mac Pro here or available and no TB3 PCIe expanders that would work to test so can’t try it myself. I’m itching to do so. The only reason I’m not saying it’s a 100% guarantee that the drivers are there is Apple has done this before where they have hardware or chipsets listed in various plists and no actual driver to back it.

The Mellanox PCIe v2 dual 10G SFP card is supported, which is the model previous to the current one as I had that running in a sonnet TB2 PCIe expander on a trashcan mac. The Sonnet and QNAP 10GE to TB3 adapters both use Mellanox chipsets and work great. Just plug them in and go. So I’m really just unsure about the 25G and up adapters, even though specific cards are indeed referenced in Catalina.
    - Jeff Kilgroe

I continue to install new QNAP systems every day - and most people, without asking me, are using macOS 10.15.x, and most of those are macOS 10.15.3. All the new 2019 Mac Pro's I have installed are running macOS 10.15.3.
    Are there OCCATIONAL disconnects - yes, but I always see OCCATIONAL disconnects. It does not disconnect every 10 minutes, or every hour, or even every 6 hours ! Just once in a while. This does not represent a "non functioning
    system".
    ATTO has 40G drivers RIGHT NOW for all this stuff - and YES, for Macintosh.
    https://www.atto.com/downloads/188/

For your reference, Sonnet Thunderbolt 3 to 10G adaptors use Aquantia AQC-107 chipsets, not Mellanox. Same as Apple, same as ASUS, same as QNAP (same as OWC which is the Sonnet).
    Bob Zelin

I do think Apple is seeing the big data future and Jeff's notes only reinforce that. I concur that Apple, like pretty much everyone else in the space, are promoting cloud based solutions so they can create durable revenue streams. I'd further suggest that Apple is motivated to support current and emerging standards to allow easy integration in multi platform workgroups lest they lose sales.

Cheers - #19

Issue with whatever NAS is being used not macOS.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    Issue with whatever NAS is being used not macOS.
    Scores of users would disagree.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post

Read through that... 99.9% of all their issues could be eliminated by running fixed IPs and proper name server for NetBIOS/ Bonjour name management so they don't get ghosts and echos if IPs change or ports don't clear. Some are having issues when upgrading to Catalina. Understandable, had some issues like that here too. Catalina has a completely reworked network stack and differing support files. They're fighting old data from their prior OS X and need to purge all that. But honestly not worth the brain damage, wipe and clean install would be the better course because there are lots of changes throughout the OS. Sure, there are the usual "sky is falling" people who think this spells doom for NAS connections on Mac OS. ...Whatever. If Apple were eliminating AFP, SMB, etc.. protocol support, then why did they recently add them to iPad OS and continue to add features for servers and NAS with each update?

Of the discussion link you posted, the issues with NAS shares not showing on the sidebar in Finder is not new to Catalina. Just go manually add them (drag your share or desired folder to the sidebar) and then they pop up every time that server share connects. I connect all my NAS shares via the login items and on some I have to specify an alias or automator script instead of directly linking the share address. That's so I can set a delay because some will time out if they have to wait for WOL or other such things. I keep my QNAP so it does not sleep, saves a lot of headaches on both Mac and Windows. The drives will spin down, bun none of that WOL nonsense.
    Last edited by Jeff Kilgroe; 02-03-2020 at 11:19 AM.
    - Jeff Kilgroe