Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Best Gimbals/Steadicams for Komodo?

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery Anderson View Post
    4th axis, like if you put the gimbal on a Steadicam arm?

everything on set has to do with the application and what labor or gear you are using... and what the clients wants too[sometimes]

If I was going to shoot an outdoor event and had multiple cameras I was cutting to and was really just using the gimbal for dolly type shots or cutaways, then you could just go with a simple set up of a camera on a gimbal with a single operator and get a wide lens and shoot at infinity at f/8.

if you have a to match shots and you're getting coverage, then you probably need a team, with an operator, focus puller at a minimum; which means the rig needs remote video and follow focus attached to the rig. During this scenario, your main objective is to get the shot and recreate the shot, so dependability is the biggest factor.

All your questions sorta center around a single operator set up which without dependable autofocus is going to be an issue... also no gimbal is going to be fast to set up, sometimes they do everything you want, and sometimes you have to tweak them, but if you work with it a long time you'll become an expert and you'll be able to fix the problem that arises.

I think the focus gear works for a small number of DSLR cameras... check the Ronin-S's website and they'll list the cameras... I don't believe the port used to connect the Ronin-S's focus to the camera is a port the Komodo has, so that's a no go.
    I'm looking for handles that correct the 4th axis so that the usual gimbal bumps up and down are mitigated while keeping the low key and light setup that Komodo is built around. It's both for use as a one-man band, but also for teams. So I'm looking to build my own set of gear that is faster to set up and more able to be used longer hours as the base foundation for all shots. This means something that you can attach to a low key gimbal for getting more classic steady shots, while keeping the versatility of how you move a gimbal. Some gimbals are faster than others to set up. The more classic ones for heavier cameras are so messy and slow to set up that I generally would never want to see them on set. However, we've seen improvements for gimbals made for DSLRs that are much easier to handle and set up, which Komodo will fit perfectly for. It's just the 4th axis that lacks.

Focus may be handled by the AF in Komodo, depending on how powerful it ends up being. But generally, I work with cine-lenses and I would want the focus wheel on the gimbal to be connected to a gearhead. This would be convenient to have internally in the gimbal, but I can solve it with remote focus if needed. I just need the lightest and smallest gimbal there is combined with some handles that fix the 4th axis.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery Anderson View Post
    this thing?
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...with_a_15.html

IDK, the Komodo is a cinema camera and requires cinema camera attachments to make it fully functional, where a DSLR kinda does a lot of things automatically and some would say poorly. So the technology for single operators is really not there yet, Freefly has come close in some ways, but the introduction of AI would change a lot... the Komodo from I've seen, requires a lot of manual control and needs a gimbal that can handle accessories.
    Yes, that's exactly what I meant by Zhiyun Crane 3s and to relieve the hands + smooth the movement of the vest + arm
    I am a filmmaker who works largely alone and I am looking for simple solutions.
    This steadicam vest looks great. I wonder if it works with the Zhiyun Crane 3S? It looks very nice in price and I think it will help a lot (first of all it will relieve the hands)
    Recently, I was working on CRANE 3S all day on set. It is bearable, but there is no point in wrestling. It's better to help yourself, not to make it difficult :)
    thanks for info my bro :)
    Last edited by Phil Glowskey; 09-03-2020 at 05:24 AM.
    Phil Glowskey - Producer of Music Video - Poland
    RED Camera User

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Glowskey View Post
    Yes, that's exactly what I meant by Zhiyun Crane 3s and to relieve the hands + smooth the movement of the vest + arm
    I am a filmmaker who works largely alone and I am looking for simple solutions.
    This steadicam vest looks great. I wonder if it works with the Zhiyun Crane 3S? It looks very nice in price and I think it will help a lot (first of all it will relieve the hands)
    Recently, I was working on CRANE 3S all day on set. It is bearable, but there is no point in wrestling. It's better to help yourself, not to make it difficult :)
    thanks for info my bro :)
    I would look at the attachment or where it locks onto the gimbal and see if Crane 3s is the same size as the Ronin-S... looks like it doesn't, because of the arm

you can also talk to someone at B&H via online chat and ask if they sell a steadicam arm that attaches to the bottom of the Crane3s... it would need to screw in

there are vests and pully systems for gimbals. Maybe you could screw the Crane 3s into the sled of ...maybe a very short sled?

You probably be good selling the Crane 3s and getting a MoVi M5 if you are using lightweight cameras and want a steadicam brace.
    Last edited by Jeffery Anderson; 09-04-2020 at 10:55 AM.
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    I'm looking for handles that correct the 4th axis so that the usual gimbal bumps up and down are mitigated while keeping the low key and light setup that Komodo is built around. It's both for use as a one-man band, but also for teams. So I'm looking to build my own set of gear that is faster to set up and more able to be used longer hours as the base foundation for all shots. This means something that you can attach to a low key gimbal for getting more classic steady shots, while keeping the versatility of how you move a gimbal. Some gimbals are faster than others to set up. The more classic ones for heavier cameras are so messy and slow to set up that I generally would never want to see them on set. However, we've seen improvements for gimbals made for DSLRs that are much easier to handle and set up, which Komodo will fit perfectly for. It's just the 4th axis that lacks.

Focus may be handled by the AF in Komodo, depending on how powerful it ends up being. But generally, I work with cine-lenses and I would want the focus wheel on the gimbal to be connected to a gearhead. This would be convenient to have internally in the gimbal, but I can solve it with remote focus if needed. I just need the lightest and smallest gimbal there is combined with some handles that fix the 4th axis.
    Personally, I own both. Because of weight requirements.

With any Cinema camera, you're going to need an Operator and a Camera Assistant to utilize its functionality and the best way to control that movement is with the operator being trained on the gimbal. Any Steadicam guy is going to tell you that the movement has a lot to do with the operator's movement with the camera... so if the Operator is more balanced the shot will reciprocate/be the same.

That being said, Chivo [who some people like as a camera operator], does a lot of handheld shots and you can see the bounce in his movement as he steps with the camera.

On my Ronin-S, I have rigged up my camera with a carbon-fiber rod w/Focus motor, but it's a Tilta Nucleus-M or the Nano[I have both] and it can handle the weight. You do need weights to balance the camera, but it works... if you had the nano hooked up you could possibly attach it to the arm of the Ronin-S and pull your own focus, but I always just attached it to the external monitor for the 1st AC. Again, from testing this personally, I think the single operator is limited to a camera without accessories and has a very good Autofocus, which some DSLRs have. Does the Komodo have the potential to be that camera? Probably.

I guess there is a new Ronin-S coming out in a few days... could be a new Ronin-M ...LOL -- but, we'll have to see what's next and what problems they solve.

Just to add, so as an operator of a gimbal like the Ronin-S you are using both hands, similar to a Steadicam operator, you brace the camera with one hand and twist, turn and balance the camera with the other hand, so if you can't pull focus. ...And even more so, if I can put on my Director of Photography hat, you have the chance of FUBR'ing the shot.

What a lot of guys do is (1)set focus on the lens, starting with a wider lens, slightly stopped down, to give you a large depth of field 18"-2' and then (2)keep the subject within that distance, (3)remember to write down the settings and if you do cross-coverage or if the light changes you can do the math and match the previous shot ...and you have a solo operator set up.
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Quick question guys: need your help!

Does the Komodo with two 955 batteries work on the ronin/ronin-m without counter weights or so?

Hope you can answer me soon

Quote Originally Posted by greg weisert View Post
    Quick question guys: need your help!

Does the Komodo with two 955 batteries work on the ronin/ronin-m without counter weights or so?

Hope you can answer me soon
    All depends on what lens you use. Long heavy lens, for sure not, short lightweight lens, yes easily.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    Monstro & Komodo

Anyone using the Tilta Float System with the Ronin RS 2?

Quote Originally Posted by keith morton View Post
    Yes, I like it. Not perfect but better than most other options.

Untitled by Björn Benckert, on Flickr
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    Monstro & Komodo

Quote Originally Posted by keith morton View Post
    Yes I got one, .. but I'm a little "big" around the middle and their waist "vest" doesn't fit. (41" waist)
    If you're a skinny guy it's good but not for this fat guy :-)

Looking for options. Thinking maybe Steadicam will do something like the Steadimate S they had for the old Ronin S.

C
    ---------------------------
    Curtis Boggs
    www.cboggs.com

Cinematographer-DP-Colorist
    Epic-W 8k (Spanky)
    Komodo 6k (baby)
    Sigma Cinema zoom set
    Leica-R Cine mod prime set
    DZOfilm Pictor zoom set 20-55, 50-125
    Various other strange or vintage lenses