Thread: Easyrig worth it?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Easyrig worth it? 
    I'm considering buying an easyrig vario for a few reasons including to help save my back and allow me to go from my shoulder to hip height quickly. Should I just take the dive and buy one? I mainly shoot docu style/run & gunstuff and am usually on the shoulder but want to be able to get lower shots while shooting b-roll. I kind of figure this is an investment in myself as I doubt many clients will be willing to pony up for an easyrig in most cases.

Yes.
    Helium + Gemini

Just to be that old guy.... Easy rigs are fucking dumb. The only thing they are good for is if you have to stand in the same place forever shooting hand held. By definition, that is a dumb shot. The only reason to be handheld is to be dynamic. If you are not doing that, then it shouldn't be a hand held shot. I get reality tv bullshit, but I don't do that.

Nick

Take a good look at the Ergorig instead. I'm a smaller guy without the requisite lopsided muscular camera shoulder. With Ergorig I can go to shoulder / hip / tripod quickly and easily all day with a fully rigged Epic-W and Cooke 20-60. I'm tired afterward, but I'm not twisted or broken and my shots are steady. Plus you really can walk forward/backward/sideways with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    Just to be that old guy.... Easy rigs are fucking dumb. The only thing they are good for is if you have to stand in the same place forever shooting hand held. By definition, that is a dumb shot. The only reason to be handheld is to be dynamic. If you are not doing that, then it shouldn't be a hand held shot. I get reality tv bullshit, but I don't do that.

Nick
    Agree and disagree.

If you do a lot of different setups in short time and want the hand held feel then you can easily swing a big zoom with a easyrig days on end. Without it you will run into back problems quite quickly, even if you have an assistant that grabs the camera between each take.

But yes, Easy rigs are not really built for walking / moving an filming at the same time they are shit bad for such setups. What they are good for is kind of the same setups where you use a tripod and a half inflated soccer ball to get that hand wobbly feel from the same nodal point.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post

Nick
    +1

Get that camera gravity right and lower it's weight. Mine is 9kg fully loaded. I find it stupid to frame by hanging a camera to a rope. But it became a common practice...

Quote Originally Posted by sam caravana View Post
    I mainly shoot docu style/run & gunstuff and am usually on the shoulder
    These are the reasons/situations that make me love mine. It certainly isn't used on every shoot I do, but it has been invaluable for day-long run and gun doc shoots to save my back and shoulders. I'm doing the same shots I would be doing on a handheld/shoulder rig, but I can shoot longer and more comfortable, which enables me to get more creative in the long run.

We're clearly in odd times, but if you're able to rent one at some point, it might be worth it to see how it feels.

ErgoRig + Undersling...plus they might be coming out with some extensions to get the camera out and lower.
    You don't have to see something to believe in it, but you have to believe in something to see it.

Totally love mine, especially if I'm shooting hand held all day like on a doc or a corporate event.
    It's great for taking the weight off when youre not shooting but no time to put camera down.

I don't shoot shoulder mount very much though, I tend to shoot alot w camera tucked in at chest height.
    However it's really versatile, can shoot from the ground to shoulder height w ease.

Catch is I think it's kinda like steadicam or any other manually operated tool, you have to learn it and develop
    the technique to get the most out of it.

Curtis
    ---------------------------
    Curtis Boggs
    www.cboggs.com

Cinematographer-DP-Colorist
    Epic-W 8k (Spanky)
    Komodo 6k (baby)
    Sigma Cinema zoom set
    Leica-R Cine mod prime set
    DZOfilm Pictor zoom set 20-55, 50-125
    Various other strange or vintage lenses

Quote Originally Posted by sam caravana View Post
    I'm considering buying an easyrig vario for a few reasons including to help save my back and allow me to go from my shoulder to hip height quickly. Should I just take the dive and buy one? I mainly shoot docu style/run & gunstuff and am usually on the shoulder but want to be able to get lower shots while shooting b-roll. I kind of figure this is an investment in myself as I doubt many clients will be willing to pony up for an easyrig in most cases.
    I am 6ft 8 and I can neither shoot on shoulder mount nor can I walk through a door with the high bar of the easyRig. I know the EasyRig is very popular but the ReadyRig serves me great for a long time now. It has a small footprint and does not enlarge your silhouette. Worth having a closer look imho. I'm not affiliate nor connected in any way.
    Last edited by Clermond Ferrand; 04-28-2020 at 02:31 PM.