Thread: Easyrig worth it?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I just bought the easyrig Vario 5 with stabil arm, ran me over $7000. My DP Likes it better than the ready rig for Gimbal shots. I think I like the Readyrig More. For hand Handheld I definitely like it... Ive taken on simple jobs I wouldn't normally with my Alexa mini solely because I know im not going to be dead fcking tired during or at the end of the day. The stabil arm helps a great deal with walking, but still not super smooth. It requires a different technique than normal handheld shots and it takes practice. Overall I like it, not sure if it was worth $7000.
    Alexa Mini/ Red Gemini / StormTrooper Komodo/ Cooke S4i Mini / Cooke Anamorphics / Scorpio 23' Technocrane / Miami FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Solowiej View Post
    Take a good look at the Ergorig instead. I'm a smaller guy without the requisite lopsided muscular camera shoulder. With Ergorig I can go to shoulder / hip / tripod quickly and easily all day with a fully rigged Epic-W and Cooke 20-60. I'm tired afterward, but I'm not twisted or broken and my shots are steady. Plus you really can walk forward/backward/sideways with it.
    Can the platform be shifted laterally, away from the head? I'm noticing in every demo the operator having to tilt their head left because the camera is too close to their head.

Raymond: It is custom adjustable to your liking. But the layout wants to be close to your head for center of gravity. At times I even use the side of my head as another little contact point. It's basically having a cam on your shoulder, just transferring the weight to your hips. Throw your cam on shoulder and try to slide it 6 inches further from your head, and your whole body will tell you no.

Just wanted to pop in and give a +1 for the Ergorig. I have never liked the Easyrig, as I find I have to completely change the way I shoot, which sort of defeats the purpose. The ergorig, on the other hand, allows me to shoot exactly as I normally would, but with far less strain. Like the Easyrig, its amazing for when you need to be a human tripod. Unlike the easy rig, it also allows for shooting on the shoulder, a super quick adjustment to hip level, and you can walk or run without introducing crazy bounce. Plus, its far less intimidating. I do a lot of run and gun doc stuff with small crews, and coming in dressed with a couple giant arms extending from my back is never a great way to encourage subjects to forget that Im there. The ergorig just looks like a funny vest with some back support built in.

Can someone share a tracking shot with the Ergorig? I'm still worried that the weight being placed on the hip will cause a lot of z axis bounce.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Ameel View Post
    Can someone share a tracking shot with the Ergorig? I'm still worried that the weight being placed on the hip will cause a lot of z axis bounce.
    Unfortunately I don't have access to the stuff I've shot with the ergo thus far, but in my experience there is little to no z-axis bounce when using the undersling, and a slight added z-axis bounce with the camera on your shoulder. I've found with practice that it can be largely negated by focusing on smoothing out your steps, but it's certainly still present. That said, compared to the EZ Rig, it's negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Zananiri View Post
    Can the platform be shifted laterally, away from the head? I'm noticing in every demo the operator having to tilt their head click speed test left because the camera is too close to their head.
    I normally would, but with far less strain. Like the Easyrig, its amazing for when you need to be a human tripod. Unlike the easy rig, it also allows for shooting on the shoulder, a super quick adjustment to hip level, and you can walk or run without introducing crazy bounce. Plus, its far less intimidating.
    Last edited by EdnaParrish; 05-07-2020 at 03:37 AM. Reason: spelling

A contact at cinema devices just shared a 10% off code for the new Riser -- I'm not sure if it's site wide, but worth a shot: ICG10%

I just signed up for the "Ambassador Program," so if anyone does end up using the code and wants to include my referral code, it'd be appreciated! 8SWNWHPSPWNXSO

Another old guy saying the EasyRig sucks. We all used to make fun of the handful of guys that used them back one the late 90s/early 00s. I swore Id never use one, because you look like such a clown, that Id have to kick my own ass. Okay, were 20 something years down the road and bodies start to wear out, so when there was the GB on the vario here in 18, I believe, I started kicking around the idea. So I rented a vario for a week to try. Hated it. Big and bulky, the camera never sits on your shoulder properly and when you do have it up there, youre constantly whacking the support pole. I dont like the motion you get when trying to walk and shoot with it at the same time, either on the shoulder(which it never really is) or from the hip. The ironic thing is, 9 times out of ten when I see someone with one out in the wild, its a young guy shooting with a little camera, like a pretty striped-down RED or Canon C series. The only thing I really found it useful for, is if all of your shots are between hip and chest level and your standing in basically one place for a while doing that.

Besides not working for my style and just generally getting in the way, they are still the antithesis of cool 😎.

I have two other support/assist rigs for handheld work: the ErgoRig/Undersling and the SteadyGum. And the vast majority of the time, I dont use either. But for me personally, the SteadyGum works the best with my style and type of work. The ErgoRig is much more of a set piece of equipment and for standing in one place while shooting, as well.

Easyrig is amazing. Im 63 so shooting from the shoulder often means an awkward squat. Easyrig lets you shoot handheld from any camera height for more than a single take without frying your arms.
    ------------
    DP/Colorist
    www.joelvoelker.com
    Seattle, WA