Thread: Kinefinity MAVO Edge

Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast
    Hopefully when the full length version of this film is released tomorrow, it will be accompanied by a BTS video with additional technical info along with whatever Creative decisions where made in the production of this film.

I also noticed that in the comments section of this video one of the posters commented that the way the highlights looked wasn't that good in some shots. I don't know how well versed the Director and Director Of Photography are with how to expose for the Kinefinity camera or how closely they worked with Kinefinity on how to get the best results out of the camera,

Here are 4 better more clearly explained tutorials about how to get better exposure/images from the Mavo LF which will also be about the same for the Mavo Edge

Exposure Tutorial with Kinefinity MAVO LF - Part 1 - ISO vs. EI modes

By Kinefinity Europe

Exposure Tutorial with Kinefinity MAVO LF - Part 2 - ISO Highlight Stops

By Kinefinity Europe

Exposure Tutorial with Kinefinity MAVO LF - Part 3 - ETTL monitoring

By Kinefinity Europe

Exposure Tutorial with Kinefinity MAVO LF - Part 4 - DUAL ISO Sweet Spot

By Kinefinity Europe

Last edited by rand thompson; 03-22-2021 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    I've so far only had one experience with ProResRaw, and it was... adequate. Hampered by a mediocre cinematographer shooting late in the evening with no lighting, so matching to the rest of the show's footage was quite a trial, since the rest of the show had lighting, and I shot it with an Epic-W.

:)
    Are you saying it's the codec or the lack of exposure that was problematic with ProRes RAW? I run EVA1 to ProRes RAW and the noise I get is not that dissimilar to what I would expect coming from this camera. Didn't really feel the codec is introducing anything that isn't already there.
    Steve Sherrick

I see that I missed the fact that the YM Cinema Article says that the Mavo Edge is supposed to be released tomorrow along with the full version of the"Wake Up" film, my bad!!

Steve,

I personally, due to possible inexperience with Assimilate Scratch on my part, just didn't like how I had to develop the ProRes Raw files. I also tried working with the ProRes Raw files in a copy of Premiere Pro a friend gave me, however I still personally didn't like the final developed image. But again, this could greatly be due to my lack of knowledge with both Scratch and Premiere.

Here's two Instagram posts showing some BTS photos of the "Wake Up" short film shot with the Mavo Edge camera. It looks like they used the Arri Signature Prime Lenses for the Film.

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Steve,

I personally, due to possible inexperience with Assimilate Scratch on my part, just didn't like how I had to develop the ProRes Raw files. I also tried working with the ProRes Raw files in a copy of Premiere Pro a friend gave me, however I still personally didn't like the final developed image. But again, this could greatly be due to my lack of knowledge with both Scratch and Premiere.
    No worries Rand. My main experience with ProRes RAW has been the EVA1, so it's possible that other cameras combined with PRR might be less workable.
    Steve Sherrick

Steve,

I don't think I ever worked with any ProRes Raw footage recorded from any of the Panasonic cameras capable of recording it externally. Maybe that's probably why I didn't have as good of an experience with ProRes raw as you did.

It just always seemed, to me atleast, that ProRes Raw had a little more noise after the final transformation than I remember seeing in a similarly transformed Red Raw file. And like I'm sure about everyone else, I wish it had more "Raw" parameters that could be modified.

Additional, Instagrram posts of BTS photos from the Kinefinity Mavo Edge " Wake Up" short film.

Last edited by rand thompson; 03-22-2021 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Steve,

I don't think I ever worked with any ProRes Raw footage recorded from any of the Panasonic cameras capable of recording it externally. Maybe that's probably why I didn't have as good of an experience with ProRes raw as you did.
    I haven't either, only with a Sony camera. I don't remember which one, but it was poorly shot footage.

It just always seemed, to me atleast, that ProRes Raw had a little more noise after the final transformation than I remember seeing in a similarly transformed Red Raw file. And like I'm sure about everyone else, I wish it had more "Raw" parameters that could be modified.
    I think the noise is due to the camera more than due to the codec, but it seems like the raw parameters available are more a software than codec thing. That said, it's hard to compete with the robustness of Red's codec.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik